News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at it from a purely football perspective: Keefe could be handy with his height and defensive capabilities, I just don't see a slot for Josh anymore as I think the arrivals of Adams, Degoey, Treloar et al have made him surplus to requirements.

Looking at it from a purely football perspective: Keefe could be handy with his height and defensive capabilities, I just don't see a slot for Josh anymore as I think the arrivals of Adams, Degoey, Treloar et al have made him surplus to requirements.

Hine said yesterday that they are being kept on the list for moral reasons.

I've always seen the potential in Keeffe and hoped he makes it though two years out of the system will halt his development. I only hope he's a late bloomer like most 204cm guys. His agility, skills and hands I've always liked. Will fight an uphill battle but always has a chance if key backs go down and players like Reid play forward.

Thomas always looked handy on a HFF rotating through the midfield. Teased us with a couple off 28 possies 3 goal games but wasn't consitent enough and too many inside mids probably went past him.

Are these players allowed to go to the gym and their own individual training like sprint training with a coach not involved with the club? Because I hope they work hard in their time off and imporve their physical weaknesses, like Thomas' tank and Keeffe's strength. Maybe this might be a blessing in disguise where they can totally focus and iron out their weaknesses and without the burden of recovering from match to match.

Anyone know what the actual limit is for their interaction with the club next year (assuming if rookied).

Obviously can't train at the club or with the group, and i presume it would also include not being able to attend meetings at the club with Bucks etc. (though i could be wrong).

But would the club be allowed to assign one of the trainers to work part time with them as a pair away from the club? (or even if they pay privately for a club trainers to do personal training etc.?)

I just think that if we rookieing them for the year, even if for moral reasons, we would like some input into how they spend this year.

Am I right i saying that since they are no longer AFL players they are not captured by the WADA regime. If so then perhaps a 12 month r&r tour of the former East Germany ought be considered in preparation for future seasons. Alternatively they could just take up cycling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Carlisle does same thing and just gets 2 Games?

Well no.

Our guys tested positive for a Performance Enhancing Drug.
We can discuss all we want about what happened for that to get into their system, and all the issues surrounding that - and the club have done just that in making a decision what they want to do next - but according to the AFL and ASADA all that matters is that they tested positive for a PED and that is what got them the 2 year suspension. (And rightly so - there is no getting around that).
If there was no Clenbuterol in their system, they would not have been suspended and (if only a 1st strike) we would never have found out.

The Carlisle result is very bizarre, and flies in the face of the AFL's actual current illicit drug policy.
A positive result, if his first or second strike, would not result in any suspension and would be kept anonymous from the club and public.
The issue for Carlisle is that there was a video - which shows that the AFL don't give a sh*t about what Carlisle actually did, but rather are responded to the media circus around it.
(Ie. With Harley Bennell - it was up to Gold Coast to decided internally what they wanted to do... the AFL did not step in to suspend him)

Last edited:
Great reason to keep players on this list. Morality should always trump everything and guide one's actions. Except what version of morality have they decided to apply here? It's just not clear to me. Or did he/you mean "morale" reasons? either-way... bizarre thing to say. Btw Bucksboys is back I reckon.

Great reason to keep players on this list. Morality should always trump everything and guide one's actions. Except what version of morality have they decided to apply here? It's just not clear to me. Or did he/you mean "morale" reasons? either-way... bizarre thing to say. Btw Bucksboys is back I reckon.

I don't think he ever left...

So Carlisle does same thing and just gets 2 Games?

Our boys got two years for PEDs. The illicit drug reference was the excuse given by the players. If anything the AFL could add an additional two games to their suspension but hardly seems worth it.

We don't know how much he would have improved this year. I think he would have been roughly as good as Adams.

Well no.

Our guys tested positive for a Performance Enhancing Drug.
We can discuss all we want about what happened for that to get into their system, and all the issues surrounding that - and the club have done just that in making a decision what they want to do next - but according to the AFL and ASADA all that mater is that they tested positive for a PED and that is what got them the 2 year suspension. (And rightly so - there is no getting around that).
If there was no Clenbuterol in their system, they would not have been suspended and (if only a 1st strike) we would never have found out.

The Carlisle result is very bizarre, and flies in the face of the AFL's actual current illicit drug policy.
A positive result, if his first or second strike, would not result in any suspension and would be kept anonymous from the club and public.
The issue for Carlisle is that there was a video - which shows that the AFL don't give a sh*t about what Carlisle actually did, but rather are responded to the media circus around it.
(Ie. With Harley Bennell - it was up to Gold Coast to decided internally what they wanted to do... the AFL did not step in to suspend him)

Well said, well covered.....good knowledge and interpretation of the 2 very different situations :thumbsu:

From memory the club said the playing group wanted to give them a 2nd chance & not just discard them for one mistake.

Hope they are not getting paid an income during this time.

I would think that wouldn't be permitted under the ASADA sanctions anyway unless I'm mistaken - while we can list them I don't think we (or anyone else) can pay them until Feb 2017.

We don't know how much he would have improved this year. I think he would have been roughly as good as Adams.

I think you missed my point: it is irrelevant how much he might have improved if he kept playing because he didn't and now that makes him surplus, so we will get no benefit from rookie drafting him (just my view).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back