Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

Now the season is done, what do you think needs to be the plan from here on out?

The sign period has started, apparantely; although there is yet no news on who they are signing -- Maybe they want to wait til our season was done before deciding that?

We have pick #4 in the draft in the vic pool at least.

Do we need to recruit more players from other teams
? Do we go straight to the draft?
It's no doubt we need more talent, as we seem more blue collar, hard working side than others that are more talented.

Feels like the game is passing Livingstone and Casey by. We need more players with pace all around the ground. The game isn't getting any closer, and sides are applying more pressure that we can't handle, and get run down from behind.

Who do we sign? There has been no word on retirees.

Key Dates

Monday, November 13 2023

• AFLW Draft Nominations Open
  • Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period Open
Friday, November 17 2023

• Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period Close
Monday, November 27 2023

• 2023 W Awards
Sunday, December 3 2023

• 2023 NAB AFLW Grand Final
Friday, December 1 2023

• AFLW Draft Nominations Close
Thursday, December 7 2023

• Trade Period Opens
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Opens
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Opens
Wednesday, December 13 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Closes
Thursday, December 14 2023

• Trade Period Closes (2pm AEDT)
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Closes
Friday, December 15 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Open
Saturday, December 16 2023

• Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Closes
Sunday, December 17 2023

• AFLW Draft Order confirmed
Monday, December 18 2023

• 2023 AFLW Draft
Monday, February 5 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Open
  • Rookie Signing Period Open
Friday, March 1 2024

• Supplemental Selection Period Closes
  • Rookie Signing Period Closes

Off the back of a landmark CBA, players can sign 12-month minimum contracts without a cap on maximum terms.

The 2023 AFLW Draft will be held in-person at Marvel Stadium on Monday, December 18.

Ditch the current coach, and move some players on.

Are those two irish girls coming back next season for example?
I would say those 2 Irish girls are generally pulling their weight, I have no problem with them.
Their are others that offer very little each week. In fact Sheridan was probably our best player on Sunday. Rowe had an off game but still contributed reasonably well and has had a great year.
As mentioned before Lin, Brown, Fowler, Smith, plenty of others should be under the pump before them.

I would say those 2 Irish girls are generally pulling their weight, I have no problem with them.
Their are others that offer very little each week. In fact Sheridan was probably our best player on Sunday. Rowe had an off game but still contributed reasonably well and has had a great year.
As mentioned before Lin, Brown, Fowler, Smith, plenty of others should be under the pump before them.
They have both had career years this year IMO.
Finally Sheridan can run through the middle and Rowe has been super consistent this year.

If they choose not to come back, it's going to remove two more established players from the team.....

Game plan is the biggest issue.
No width at stoppage. Players just hunker down for a stoppage.
Fwds don't hold their space and get sucked up.
Asking the team to run D50 - F50 all day is taxing.

The gamestyle we want to play is outdated by 2+ years.
Need to hold the width and get it out when tackled, not just go to ground and create a stoppage. Asks far too much of us week in week out.

I thought Sheridan had a great season. She's transformed into a midfielder
She like Rowe still have deficiencies, but you can see an upswing in performance and they are definitely 2 of the most professional when it comes to fitness and work ethic.
They have played a total of approx 50 games of football each at any level. No juniors or teenage experience.
Pretty good effort to be where they are at now.

I would give Lin and Brown another year.

Lin was coming back from injury and Brown was in and out of the team.

club should look at players like brisbanes ellinger ..... has a tank, not afraid of the contested ball and has footy smarts in and around the contest ...... wouldnt be on big coin so maybe worth tempting south with a generous offer

We need to revamp the playing list. There's too many similar types on the list, and we really lack pace through the middle of the ground and inside F50, and a marking forward.
We should be looking at enticing a couple of established players from other clubs, particularly a marking forward and a mid with pace. Wouldn't mind a Dakota Davidson or a Zanker or even Toogood from Essendon roaming in our F50. We need to try and entice a Conti or a Riddell from North, and inject them into our midfield.
We may need to bite the bullet and move on with some well loved players to enhance our draft position or fill much needed holes on our list in terms of positional.
Will be an interesting time for our programme, as we can't roll out next year with a similar list ptofile. In saying that, l would be adding permanently to our list, Bates and Dojiok from our VFLW programme.
Players l fear for are, Livingstone, Folwer, Lin, Morris, Brown, Casey and to a degree Bonnici.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always sad to see coaches depart but 1 door closes, another opens. Good luck to Steve on whatever his future brings. Now we start the search for his replacement.
Yeah, he did a lot for this club and these girls after the departure of our 1st coach. Got us back to finals fairly quick, and we are always been in the mix (but never up with the best sides) and he probably has done all he can do. It probably has been clear for a little bit, we need a change.

Looking forward to who it may be.

I find this part interesting. Reckon Wright wants only the best, who can turn this side into something special

“After careful consideration and discussions with Steve, we came to a mutual agreement not to renew his contract. This decision aligns with the Club's strategic direction and our commitment to developing our elite women’s football programs.”

I find this part interesting. Reckon Wright wants only the best, who can turn this side into something special

“After careful consideration and discussions with Steve, we came to a mutual agreement not to renew his contract. This decision aligns with the Club's strategic direction and our commitment to developing our elite women’s football programs.”

Well hopefully this means the club will be taking a more hard-line, serious approach to making sure our women's programme is one of the best in the competition.
Symonds, despite all his efforts during this season he was never going to survive once the season ended.
The game style, the players fitness and the effort against Richmond showed that Symonds time was done.

Last edited:

Sounds like we will finally take it seriously. Lets hope so.

Fitness coach gone (I think).
Coach gone.

Harford made the comment at the start of the season that’s its full time staff only from now on.

Live local to the club and build a year long programme rather than the pre-season 6 weeks stuff.

I’m keen to see what happens with the off field staff this year.
Will show how serious we are….

Fitness coach gone (I think).
Coach gone.

Harford made the comment at the start of the season that’s its full time staff only from now on.

Live local to the club and build a year long programme rather than the pre-season 6 weeks stuff.

I’m keen to see what happens with the off field staff this year.
Will show how serious we are….

Well the refresh has begun with Symonds going. A review of the programme must be happening internally, and sounds like Wrighty wants change.
We need to change or give better support to the conditioning staff, because our fitness level looked below par.
Hopefully we also see a major change in the list dynamic, and get players in to fill the areas of the ground we desperately lack. Like we have seen with our AFL side, l want to see some courageous/ruthless trading for the overall betterment of the squad.

Well the refresh has begun with Symonds going. A review of the programme must be happening internally, and sounds like Wrighty wants change.
We need to change or give better support to the conditioning staff, because our fitness level looked below par.
Hopefully we also see a major change in the list dynamic, and get players in to fill the areas of the ground we desperately lack. Like we have seen with our AFL side, l want to see some courageous/ruthless trading for the overall betterment of the squad.
Agree.

Will be a multi year approach.
Much harder to re-shape the list as spots are at an absolute premium....so can't take too many speculative picks.
Hard to go aggressive to get players to move states as the $$ to incentivize a move really isn't there yet.
So unless there is a connection or other reason for a player to move, it doesn't happen too much.

Until the state based draft is removed (won't be for a few years) and the expansion settles down, we're a bit hamstrung in how we bring in top end talent.

But i do think we're weak on talent identification. So i'd like to see some movement in that space as well.
Which may well have been based on the style of game Symonds wanted to play....who knows.

I'm interested to see this evolve over the next 18 months.....

Surely not. Can we get someone outside the program...

Highly rated VAFA coach Jess Burger has emerged as a frontrunner for the vacant AFLW coach position at Collingwood after the Magpies parted ways with Steve Symonds on Wednesday.
The Kew coach, who is also Collingwood’s head of women’s football and an analyst for the AFL side, is understood to be heading the list of potential candidates and in line to become the first woman to coach the club.

Burger was appointed the Magpies’ AFLW list manager in 2018 before taking charge of the women’s football program ahead of 2022 season six.

She also took the reins at Kew in 2022 to gain experience running her own side, leading the Bears to the minor premiership in the VAFA Premier Women’s division this season before they succumbed to powerhouse St Kevin’s in the grand final for the second consecutive year.

For the past three seasons, Burger has sat on the AFLW Competition Committee, which oversees the league’s progression, along with key AFL figures including Andrew Dillon, Laura Kane and Nicole Livingstone as well as Hawthorn coach Bec Goddard.

Collingwood announced on Wednesday it would not renew Symonds’ contract after the Magpies missed the finals for the first time in his five-season tenure.

Players have been told a thorough process will be undertaken to appoint Symonds’ successor, with a selection panel to be formed by next week.

Surely not. Can we get someone outside the program...

I'm not expert on the women's side but I watch most games and scan some videos and Jess was very prominent in some team meeting situations before games etc. She was certainly more prominent than what you'd expect from a non-coach.

It also seemed to me that Symonds looked like he was taking a back seat a few times when he was on the bench in games. He just seemed disconnected a little and players were on the phone to people upstairs in the stand who I presume to be Burger....

I think there's a strong desire by the club to get a woman in charge and burger is probably the best credentialed.

I'm not expert on the women's side but I watch most games and scan some videos and Jess was very prominent in some team meeting situations before games etc. She was certainly more prominent than what you'd expect from a non-coach.

It also seemed to me that Symonds looked like he was taking a back seat a few times when he was on the bench in games. He just seemed disconnected a little and players were on the phone to people upstairs in the stand who I presume to be Burger....

I think there's a strong desire by the club to get a woman in charge and burger is probably the best credentialed.
Yeah, that's a fair point.
I hope they do a process and if it comes to her, they view her as the best candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back