Analysis Under 24 youth list

Remove this Banner Ad

f07ce6805d5073077cac3c2a10435a5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Nathan Murphy (23), and Harvey Harrison (20) to that list.

Just a mistake clearly forgot to add them. Add those two and the list is pretty decent still. Murphy feels like he has been around for ages lol

Just a mistake clearly forgot to add them. Add those two and the list is pretty decent still. Murphy feels like he has been around for ages lol

He's only just eligible. Do the list in a couple of weeks and he'd miss the cut. Just a sign Hine likes his December kids.

It’s not a bad list. We need to start playing them though. A few should be able to get consistent games next year

I mean, under the circumstances as reigning premier it’s a pretty decent youth core. Ranking us top 5 in the league for youth ahead of the likes of Norf who’ve been able to stockpile ridiculous amounts of high end talent over the last few years is taking the piss a little though.

It’s not a bad list. We need to start playing them though. A few should be able to get consistent games next year

It's a bit unknown where they're all at - Harrison (who was left out of the article), McInness, Macrae, Allan an Ryan will hopefully get a look in this year at some stage. I say hopefully - but maybe not hopefully as it'll mean injuries.

Add Nathan Murphy (23), and Harvey Harrison (20) to that list.
To be fair, it does say this (near the start of the article):
1701389573136.png
Though (also to be fair) maybe they added that bit in later, as I don't recall seeing it when I looked at it yesterday! Of course it should say "23 and under".

So that does rule Murphy (24 this month) out, but Harrison should be named, especially given he was an emergency for the Grand Final, suggesting the selectors do rate him.

Last edited:
I don't agree with TJ being ready or ahead of Harry, and they didn't include Ryan who I think would be a contender if there was a spot available.

HEADLINE MAKER​

Who else but Nick Daicos? No player this century has had a better second season, almost winning the Brownlow and the Copeland, and being an integral member of Collingwood’s 16th VFL-AFL premiership side. The scary thing is he is likely to get even better.

X-FACTOR​

Beau McCreery is a tough, bullocking pressure forward who is one of the Pies’ barometers. But he can be even more damaging if he can hit the scoreboard more often. If Reef McInnes’ body holds up, he can be a wildcard option in Dan McStay’s absence. He plays taller than his 194cm, has some freakish talents and can have a few cameos in the middle.

QUESTION MARK​

Defender Charlie Dean looked on track to make his AFL debut in the lead-up to the 2022 season before a foot injury cruelly interrupted. He’s only played three VFL games in two seasons with several foot setbacks. Deserves a change of luck.

KEEP IT UP​

Halfway through 2023, it seemed certain that Finlay Macrae might end up at a rival club through a lack of opportunities. But he stayed true to Collingwood, even though he only added one game last season, and will now get better opportunities with Taylor Adam’s exit.

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

Harry DeMattia is going to have to be patient. The Magpies’ pick 25 is already showing good signs at training, but as a midfielder, he will have to bide his time given Collingwood’s on-ball stocks. The athletic intercept defender Tew Jiath, taken with pick 37, could win his chance a little earlier, given the opportunities that could arise down back.

I don't agree with TJ being ready or ahead of Harry, and they didn't include Ryan who I think would be a contender if there was a spot available.

HEADLINE MAKER​

Who else but Nick Daicos? No player this century has had a better second season, almost winning the Brownlow and the Copeland, and being an integral member of Collingwood’s 16th VFL-AFL premiership side. The scary thing is he is likely to get even better.

X-FACTOR​

Beau McCreery is a tough, bullocking pressure forward who is one of the Pies’ barometers. But he can be even more damaging if he can hit the scoreboard more often. If Reef McInnes’ body holds up, he can be a wildcard option in Dan McStay’s absence. He plays taller than his 194cm, has some freakish talents and can have a few cameos in the middle.

QUESTION MARK​

Defender Charlie Dean looked on track to make his AFL debut in the lead-up to the 2022 season before a foot injury cruelly interrupted. He’s only played three VFL games in two seasons with several foot setbacks. Deserves a change of luck.

KEEP IT UP​

Halfway through 2023, it seemed certain that Finlay Macrae might end up at a rival club through a lack of opportunities. But he stayed true to Collingwood, even though he only added one game last season, and will now get better opportunities with Taylor Adam’s exit.

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

Harry DeMattia is going to have to be patient. The Magpies’ pick 25 is already showing good signs at training, but as a midfielder, he will have to bide his time given Collingwood’s on-ball stocks. The athletic intercept defender Tew Jiath, taken with pick 37, could win his chance a little earlier, given the opportunities that could arise down back.

Agree Jen. I would have thought Harry more likely to debut than TJ. More physically developed and can play more positions. ANZAC Day debut would be nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we've got Daicos and Quaynor. Then there's a lot of hoping with the players behind them.

It's really thin but I think our list management has shifted to focus on known quantities at the trade table over draftees in recent years.

So we've got Daicos and Quaynor. Then there's a lot of hoping with the players behind them.

It's really thin but I think our list management has shifted to focus on known quantities at the trade table over draftees in recent years.
I thought the list younger than JDG, Moore and Bruzzy was looking dire at the end of 21, and thought there was going to be a horror time a bit down the road. But we've back filled it pretty well - adding Hill, Lippa, Schultz, Markov, Nick being extraordinary, McCreery, IQ, Murphy and Noble developing well. Need a couple of the youngsters to kick on, but think we're in good shape for both now and the medium term.

As at today, all of Murphy, Hill, and McCreery are all U24. That’s 5 of your 2023 best 22-23.

Interesting to see how the year plays out for some of our youngsters. There's definitely a few there you'd be expecting to push for best 22/23 following this preseason, but hard to crack into a premiership side if injuries don't occur.

Fly's always stated he plays the best team, but suspect there will need to be some eye to the future with looming retirements and the potential to lose some players if they aren't finding an opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back