News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Its weird and kinda fun at the same time catching the train to Melb each day, and mainly at night when I actually remember to look out the window as we are going past the stadium to see what sort of developments have been made in terms of how much is gone.

Should have remember that shouldn't I. Saints and Tigers ... plenty of imagination in the local teams :cool:

Given that the suburb is named after a saint it makes sense to call them the Saints. They have actually been called the Super Saints for about 30 years, I would think. They have been around for a while too. They were first formed in 1897.
And no, I did not play for them back then.

Well there goes the Social Club
CT60qGXU8AA-ZRg.jpg:large

And I can remember the days when the Social Club Stand was our most modern stand.

And I can remember the days when the Social Club Stand was our most modern stand.
Well those days are about to return my friend

Given that the suburb is named after a saint it makes sense to call them the Saints. They have actually been called the Super Saints for about 30 years, I would think. They have been around for a while too. They were first formed in 1897.
And no, I did not play for them back then.

Im sure all think their own club is justified in calling their club....whatever.... StMary's St Joseph's Grovedale Tigers Thompson Tigers etc .

Im sure all think their own club is justified in calling their club....whatever.... StMary's St Joseph's Grovedale Tigers Thompson Tigers etc .

But with St.Albans we actually are justified.:p

Will they be in place all of 2016, or will the stand be at a point where they need to move them during the season?

All those empty seats were sold, though.

The only way to get extras in for big games is by using the space better. There is no better way to get more people in a given area than standing.

Plus, some people love standing and it provides a cheaper option too.
Remember a game back in 1993 against the bombers where around 35,000 were crammed in despite their being no stands on the outer wing. It was awesome. Apparently they once got 50,000 in the ground once. Removing standing room has sterilised the experience of going to the footy quite a bit.

Remember a game back in 1993 against the bombers where around 35,000 were crammed in despite their being no stands on the outer wing. It was awesome. Apparently they once got 50,000 in the ground once. Removing standing room has sterilised the experience of going to the footy quite a bit.

1980 V Pies 42,278 was about as full as I have seen it I think.
1993 V Ess 32,808 pretty good by todays average more that we got for the final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They must have been counting the guys in the trees at the River end...49,000...

They must have been counting the guys in the trees at the River end...49,000...

Turbo, can you remember in the old days they even sat inside the fence?
But I can remember the Collingwood game and it was chockas then. I had a hell of a time trying to see the game, being a lad who is built a little lower to the ground than most.
Luckily I had a better bladder then than now. Trying to get your way through the crowd to the old concrete toilets at the northern or southern end was murder.
I also doubt that the social club stand would have been there in '52 (open to correction on that), and that would have created more space to cram people in. But a crowd of over 49,000 would have generated a great atmosphere at K'Park.

I remember those 1980s Pies games - I was only a kid.

I remember people in the Cyprus trees as well.

I loved standing on the outer wing, playing the fool, bantering with opposition supporters, and making someone else go and get me a pie. :)

Interesting development re the cricket pitch today too, all that stuff can only be positive for future developments!

Turbo, can you remember in the old days they even sat inside the fence?
But I can remember the Collingwood game and it was chockas then. I had a hell of a time trying to see the game, being a lad who is built a little lower to the ground than most.
Luckily I had a better bladder then than now. Trying to get your way through the crowd to the old concrete toilets at the northern or southern end was murder.
I also doubt that the social club stand would have been there in '52 (open to correction on that), and that would have created more space to cram people in. But a crowd of over 49,000 would have generated a great atmosphere at K'Park.

No before my time. It must have been quite unsafe.

No before my time. It must have been quite unsafe.

This one is from the old Punt Rd Oval days. Richmond V Carlton.

punt-road-r9-1949-49000.jpg

And check this one out below from the 1938 Grand Final between traditional rivals Collingwood and Carlton.

dl11998

What a pathetic zone either cartlton or Collingwood have set up there.
That ball is getting out easy :D

This one is from the old Punt Rd Oval days. Richmond V Carlton.

punt-road-r9-1949-49000.jpg

And check this one out below from the 1938 Grand Final between traditional rivals Collingwood and Carlton.

dl11998

Struth !.... You will bringing out the shots where the arrived at Corio Oval in the Horse buggies next ;)

Yes I think the 1970 GF with the record attendance had them on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back