Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

So he should play in the SANFL midfield from day 1. Good, will watch him closely.
Depends who is in the side, I'd say they'll ease him in off HB and then get him in the guts. Here's hoping VB and Thommo are in the 2s, which doesn't leave many spots.

If we do intend that to be the case he'd have to be in the mid rotation early on.

Depends who is in the side, I'd say they'll ease him in off HB and then get him in the guts. Here's hoping VB and Thommo are in the 2s, which doesn't leave many spots.

If we do intend that to be the case he'd have to be in the mid rotation early on.

I'd say, you do that with a rookie pick. Not a first rounder.

If he is starting on the HBF in the SANFL - he isn't every close to plsying AFL. He should be in the guts for the SANFL side and the rest make up the lesser spots.

Please don't use them as our bench mark:eek:
Nah not a benchmark. Certainly not a benchmark for success.

But to anyone having "Power Envy" consider the fact that in the past five years both clubs have played two Finals campaigns and both clubs have lost a Prelim against Hawthorn.

Difference is we have done it whilst going through five coaches, including one dying, losing some decent players and Tippetgate.

I can't wait to see how great this club will be once we have a stable period of quality coaches and key players staying with us.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I'd say, you do that with a rookie pick. Not a first rounder.

If he is starting on the HBF in the SANFL - he isn't every close to plsying AFL. He should be in the guts for the SANFL side and the rest make up the lesser spots.
Not true.

He isn't a midfielder and hasn't played there, hell even Jake Lever didn't play SANFL as a KPD but thats where we intend to play him. He probably isn't close to the senior side, but then not too many first year players are.

Doedee definitely fills a need if he lives up to AFC's predictions. Whilst its contentious where he should have gone, I think he is a missing piece in the back 7.

The ideal back 7 IMO has:
2 small defenders
2 medium defenders
2 genuine key defenders
1 3rd tall.

But going even deeper 1 of those 2 need to be a great 1 on 1 lock down player.

Brown is the elite 1 on 1 lock down small defender. Laird more attacking one.

Talia is the elite 1 on 1 lock down key defender. Hartigan the other.

Doedee will hopefully be the 1 on 1 lock down medium defender. Smith/Seedsman the attacking medium defender.

Lever potential all-Australian 3rd tall.

I think more and more, with less rotations, gun mids (who have good marking ability) will rest deep forward.
The likes of Fyfe, Dustin Martin, Ziebell, Dangerfield, Ablett. Then there is permanent dangerous medium forwards like D.Menzel, Breust, Stevie J types. Doedee definitely fills a missing piece in our back 7.

At this stage I wouldn't trust anyone in our best 22 to play on those types. We want Smith (while in defense) to be released and able to play attacking either as a loose man or playing on a non damaging forward.

Hendo is a garbage defender, Seedsman, Jaensch & Hampton are more attacking half backs. Kellg is capable to play as an accountable medium defender but he may not have enough tools to be in our best defensive 7 in our ultimate premiership team.

Doedee is by all reports a very good 1 on 1 medium sized defender who also has good athletic traits and appears to use the ball pretty well and makes good decisions.

I have also banged on about intercept markers in defense for a while now. In the last 2 years we've added to that with Lever & Doedee.

Having said all that I would have preferred Burton and our tall forward stocks are looking very shaky.

Not true.

He isn't a midfielder and hasn't played there, hell even Jake Lever didn't play SANFL as a KPD but thats where we intend to play him. He probably isn't close to the senior side, but then not too many first year players are.

Only first round player who hasn't plays year 1 was Talia.

And Lever did play as a KPD in the SANFL. His first trial game vs West Adelaide he was CHB.

Let's make Tom feel welcome. He has done nothing wrong and it isn't his fault he was picked so early. He was surprised himself to go that early.

Let's make it as easy as possible so he can show us what he can do without any extra pressure.

The recruitment team obviously feel that Doedee has huge upside, particularly considering he focused primarily on basketball. Watching his highlights he showed he was was composed in traffic, creating space with his agility and was a decent mark. We may see him as more than just a midsized defender, which we have an abundance of. We maybe grooming him for the midfield.

Collingwood was criticised for using a high pick on Pendlebury who had a similar background.

Welcome aboard Tom Doedee!

Yep, big welcome to Tom.

This thread is pretty funny really, a few posters outraged because the club used pick #17 on a player THEY had never heard of. Sort of like a heated argument over what the weather will be like on xmas day.

Marty, Alex99: can you please name one player - just the one - you think we should have taken with that pick? Put your balls on the line and we can have some fun and re-visit this thread in 8 years time.

Yep, big welcome to Tom.

This thread is pretty funny really, a few posters outraged because the club used pick #17 on a player THEY had never heard of. Sort of like a heated argument over what the weather will be like on xmas day.

Marty, Alex99: can you please name one player - just the one - you think we should have taken with that pick? Put your balls on the line and we can have some fun and re-visit this thread in 8 years time.

Luke Partington but I have not written him off. I'm just saying, don't expect anything from him any time soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Ogilvey grabbed Lever last year and hes are be all end all, Rendell left in 2012 and most would know he was good? I am not trusting Ogilvey with anything after one pick, lever is good, fair pick for a first rounder but I wouldnt expect anything less would you?

Ogilvie was definitely behind our Victorian pick ups. He was big on Dangerfield, Sloane, Talia, Gunston. He also discovered Hendo, who has his faults, but was still a good rookie find. Brad Crouch is another. Ogilvie was our Victorian recruiter who was the one who wanted these guys. I've read it a number of times including on the afc website.

Rendell was behind the Joyce selection :).

Looked this up, and I have to say as well as being an apt reference it's the first time I've ever got a laugh on big footy by looking up something on Wikipedia.

Did you laugh so hard because of the fact you are chatting to totally anonymous people who could be anyone and they probably couldn't care a less what others think on a social media website with full anonymity

Ogilvie was definitely behind our Victorian pick ups. He was big on Dangerfield, Sloane, Talia, Gunston. He also discovered Hendo, who has his faults, but was still a good rookie find. Brad Crouch is another. Ogilvie was our Victorian recruiter who was the one who wanted these guys. I've read it a number of times including on the afc website.

Rendell was behind the Joyce selection :).

That's like saying the assistant coach is responsible for the wins and loses

Combine wise

Relative vertical jump - 5th (tied)
Agility - 5th

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/the-top-performers-from-this-years-draft-combine

Jeffcrowe Do you have any other stats where he didn't come top ten but came close?
Standing vertical jump was top 10% by memory , I posted it before . Speed was top 40% over 20m so above average but not lightning

Agility was definitely his best result and probably the thing that pricked recruiters ears at the combine

Endurance was middle of the road , but that's the easy part to work on

Surprising that bonner is 191cm + and doedee is 187cm as in footage doedee looks or plays taller

Bonner is a smooth mover and I'm jealous port have him

Well, for starters it means we need to make fewer successful gambles to reach that top level. Just picking numbers out of the air here, but we might only be a couple of inspired draft selections away from a premiership, whereas Carlton probably need to replace 2/3 of their list with inspired draft selections. And yet you want to claim we're in the same boat as them because we haven't been #1 any more often than they have?

The attitude of "premierships are the only metric of performance" is pretty idiotic, to be frank.

Premierships as the only metric of success is idiotic, agreed.

Distance to, and proximity to winning premierships is a fantastic metric, and just about the only one that matters.

Under that criteria, we have not been within cooee for a decade. Though i don't blame drafting. Our historic allergy to trading however...

Premierships as the only metric of success is idiotic, agreed.

Distance to, and proximity to winning premierships is a fantastic metric, and just about the only one that matters.

Under that criteria, we have not been within cooee for a decade. Though i don't blame drafting. Our historic allergy to trading however...

How can you judge distance or proximity to winning a flag, weren't port one kick from a premiership two years ago?

We have not had an elite shutdown player for years. With Kerridge and Wright gone and VB on his last legs I think Doedee is being groomed for that exact position. Luke Brown is doing an ok job but is quite short and needs some help...

Luke Brown is the epitome of an elite shut down player.

He doesn't create but he does not lose contests. He's a glove

Ogilvy was in charge of victorian recruitment under Rendell, it was Ogilvy that got us Sloane, Dangerfield and Talia

That's just very wrong

It was Rendell who pulled the trigger, him and only him. the organ grinder gets the credit. We have a lot of scouts all who will be recommending the guys they found

Just like now. Haggis gets the credit and the blame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back