Who is the darkhorse for the spoon in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood. They showed a fair bit of mental weakness last season (understandable given they've got a lot of young players and approximately one leader), losing all of their close games. Serious question marks over Buckley. Their leadership in general is a concern. Treloar is an excellent recruitment and while Aish won't be a star their midfield was lacking in skill so he addresses a deficiency. Howe won't help. Defensively - with reference to both the back six and the two way running of their midfield - they're poor, and their spine in general is decidedly unimpressive. Forward line also not a daunting prospect apart from Elliott. Really not convinced the hype around this still developing side is justified - it was clear to me right away that people were getting carried away with their 2012 and 2013 draft hauls. They're a fair way off finals and we're yet to see evidence that their rebuild is on the right track.

I'd still definitely be picking Carlton for the spoon, but as far as dark horses go, Collingwood would be my pick.

Almost impossible to see how Carlton won't finish last, just beneath the Lions. The only chance of an upset to this quinella would be a club who have an internal combustion with the coach completely losing his players. The club that this may ( at long odds ) happen to is the Gold Coast.

Yep, people carry on about our dysfunctional forward line this year with young Daniher learning the ropes and the entire team under a mental dark cloud....but the pies arent that much ahead of us with multiple firward line options.

Cloke is gone. Absolutly gone. It was so plain to see. An Elliot and Swanny combo isn't going to get them to a pre-lim. They need someone else and hide Travvy somewhere...Moore?

That puts them in the same place as us. Dealing with Young U22 players as key tall forwards.

Dees have Hogan- a genuine star who will lift that club from the depths of hell, but them winning games depends on an improved defence line.

Saints have...Roo boy.

Carlton have nothing.

Brisbane have bugger all too.

6 teams there plus GC and possibly the fall of Fremantle and there's a a whole bunch who could be waving the spoon.
Fremantle won't win the spoon, even if they had Collingwood's deplorable forward line. Their midfield is elite and their defence is one of the best in the league. Plus their coach tunes them into robots. They're a good chance for the flag. I'd have Collingwood among Brisbane, Gold Coast and Carlton. Melbourne, Essendon and St Kilda in the tier above them.

Fremantle won't win the spoon, even if they had Collingwood's deplorable forward line. Their midfield is elite and their defence is one of the best in the league. Plus their coach tunes them into robots. They're a good chance for the flag. I'd have Collingwood among Brisbane, Gold Coast and Carlton. Melbourne, Essendon and St Kilda in the tier above them.

Things could go awfully bad for Freo if by chance they lose key players to injury early.

No way in hell they will win the flag.

Collingwood. They showed a fair bit of mental weakness last season (understandable given they've got a lot of young players and approximately one leader), losing all of their close games. Serious question marks over Buckley. Their leadership in general is a concern. Treloar is an excellent recruitment and while Aish won't be a star their midfield was lacking in skill so he addresses a deficiency. Howe won't help. Defensively - with reference to both the back six and the two way running of their midfield - they're poor, and their spine in general is decidedly unimpressive. Forward line also not a daunting prospect apart from Elliott. Really not convinced the hype around this still developing side is justified - it was clear to me right away that people were getting carried away with their 2012 and 2013 draft hauls. They're a fair way off finals and we're yet to see evidence that their rebuild is on the right track.

I'd still definitely be picking Carlton for the spoon, but as far as dark horses go, Collingwood would be my pick.
Excellent post and you can't argue with any of that. All their hype is unjustified. I think that Knightmare bloke has gotten to a few of their posters' heads which is pretty unfortunate because it just puts immense pressure and expectation on their unproven kids. I can see them turning feral when at their own when they don't become the superstars Knightmare has built them up to be. He's basically trolling his fellow Collingwood supporters.

You just listed a lot of names here, I could do the same. And I'm purely talking about next season.

Petracca hasn't played a game yet
Trengove hasn't played for a while
Stretch, Neal Bullen, Oliver, Harmes, Kennedy and Bugg = Laverde, Langford, Parish, Edwards, J Merrett and Bird. Unknowns plus haven't played for the club so who knows where they fit.

Your best 6 Vince, Jones, Tyson, Viney, Vandenberg and Brayshaw don't beat Watson, Heppell, Hocking, Myers, Zaharakis and Z.Merrett.
I listed names because that's all you did, you just did it incorrectly. I'm not interested in your pissing contest. I simply corrected your post to give a more accurate reflection of the midfield.

After being hit hard by injuries in 2015, I think both Brisbane and Gold Coast will comfortably avoid the spoon next year.

Hard to go past Carlton, but I think Collingwood or North could surprise a few and finish lower than expected.

I listed names because that's all you did, you just did it incorrectly. I'm not interested in your pissing contest. I simply corrected your post to give a more accurate reflection of the midfield.
You also showed how underdeveloped your midfield is, So as I said at the start there is no way your midfield can be classed any better than ours going into 2016.

I recon it will be a very even year all round next year.
I'll say Stkilda

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dark horse, would say the Dogs. They are on the rise, for sure, but should they suffer a huge injury crisis like Gold Coast and Brisbane this year they could very well hit rock bottom. Touch wood it does not happen, in a perfect world there would be zero injuries and every team would have its best players every single game. :)

Cats are an outside chance of this get a couple of injuries.

Essendon's forward line and midfield are just really bad, on top of that they lost their best key defender. To say so and so will get better with another year in them lacks any substance when you look at their player development for a long while. Leuenberger hasn't been one of the better rucks for a few years now even if he is an upgrade, he also lacks around the capability which is essential for the modern ruck.

Wonder which way Richmond are heading
They'll either completely lose it, or make a big push for the flag

Essendon will fall, and Geelong may drop, not due to their top players, but the the quality in their depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back