62 people have more wealth than half the worlds population

Remove this Banner Ad

And people will still trot out this '1%' meme.

Sixty-two people is, what, 0.00000008% ? Or thereabouts, how many zeros in a billion? I can't remember, better check my bank account.

I refuse to believe that one person out of every hundred that I meet yields significantly more power over society than anyone else.

the current system has failed. The wars we are seeing... the loss of human rights.... the constant laws that get introduced in to take away peoples privacy rights etc etc... The terrorist laws ... etc etc... are all being put in for 1 reason. Those at the top dont want to lose their position of control and power. The own the governments they own armies..... and they already own us us.
I am 100% against the US gun laws....BUT... you have to wonder disarming the population in the most powerful country in the world leaving it powerless against these psychopaths is such a great idea.

I mostly agree with you except for the fact that the Elite write the rules. They own the game!

Never been a huge fan of ‘the elite’ as a term (back in my day it was ‘the ruling class’ ;) ). It’s preferable to name names and provide details of the rules that they’ve written imo.

Regardless, it’s kinda puzzling when relatively wealthy people (eg us) lament inequality but only really pay attention to the top echelon of the super rich. Rarely do you see them appreciating their own role as a receiver/enjoyer of privilege.

I am the top 10%! Woohoo! Bow down to me, my minions! :D

**** there's a lot of sooks on bigfooty.

many of us would be in the top 10% of the world's wealthiest. oh noes, look at all the power we wield :rolleyes: grow the **** up.

you keep living in your bubble... there is no reason why 3.5 billion more people couldnt have a reasonable level of living. You sound like you are pretty comfortable in your position on the ladder. Thats how ponzi schemes work.

you keep living in your bubble...

I will. It’s a very wealthy bubble. As is yours which you totally ignore.

there is no reason why 3.5 billion more people couldnt have a reasonable level of living.

and that’s improving in some ways, but you’re unwilling to accept that either because it’s your MO to post poorly-worded ‘sky is falling’ mantras.
You sound like you are pretty comfortable in your position on the ladder.
Yeah, I am pretty comfortable in my position on the ladder, because I understand that by historical standards I live like a ******* king. I have the kind of spare time and disposable income to waste that my ancestors could only dream of. Look at me skyving off at work to argue with idiots on the internet.

Thats how ponzi schemes work.

Incorrect. A Ponzi scheme uses the buy-ins of new members to pay existing members. This has nothing to do with what I said.

I will. It’s a very wealthy bubble. As is yours which you totally ignore.

and that’s improving in some ways, but you’re unwilling to accept that either because it’s your MO to post poorly-worded ‘sky is falling’ mantras.

Yeah, I am pretty comfortable in my position on the ladder, because I understand that by historical standards I live like a ******* king. I have the kind of spare time and disposable income to waste that my ancestors could only dream of. Look at me skyving off at work to argue with idiots on the internet.

Incorrect. A Ponzi scheme uses the buy-ins of new members to pay existing members. This has nothing to do with what I said.

Hopefully you'll be on my side when the revolution starts :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...alf-the-world-says-oxfam-20160116-gm7h6y.html

The pyramid scheme is working a treat.... Trickle down LMAO. yer right.
we have got it pretty good here in australia even though.
1. large portions of the workforce work in jobs they don't like.
2. live a life of debt to live the australian dream of home ownership.
what percentage of our life do we spend doing things we really love doing?
but compared to many parts of asia, middle east, africa and south america we live like kings and queens. this system we are in will not change anytime soon while a massive amount of the power lies in the hands of the 62 plus a few more eg. big business lobby groups, military machine.
maybe in a few hundred years or so when our empathy and compassion is more evolved particularly on a large global scale the system we have now can be changed for the better.

we have got it pretty good here in australia even though.
1. large portions of the workforce work in jobs they don't like.
2. live a life of debt to live the australian dream of home ownership.
what percentage of our life do we spend doing things we really love doing?
but compared to many parts of asia, middle east, africa and south america we live like kings and queens. this system we are in will not change anytime soon while a massive amount of the power lies in the hands of the 62 plus a few more eg. big business lobby groups, military machine.
maybe in a few hundred years or so when our empathy and compassion is more evolved particularly on a large global scale the system we have now can be changed for the better.

The idea a large proportion of the population own their own homes is a totally modern one. The idea that we should love our work is an even more modern one, like the last generation.

The idea a large proportion of the population own their own homes is a totally modern one. The idea that we should love our work is an even more modern one, like the last generation.
yer i know they are a modern phenomenon, as the human race expands its scientific/technological/medical knowledge i would like to think that it can get a whole lot better than even we have it in the western world now. cleverer people than me will have to figure out an alternative to the grossly unfair capitalistic system of wealth distribution throughout the world that we have at the moment.
i am fine with there being rich people in the world, under any system that we know of now there is going to be some form of hierarchical ladder. but why do they need multi billions of dollars, the area of business where they have made their money needs to be more fairly distributed to their workers. a google search says there are 1826 billionaires in the world, plus countless others with hundreds of millions. when there are people on the planet who live on dollars a week or month, i'm sure most people can see the inequity in that.

I'm sure Buffet, Gates and Zuckerberg pledging most of their fortune to charity is ignored here?

They'd be amongst the richest and guess what? They also made all that fortune themselves!

If someone wants to work harder, think smarter, and take more opportunities (and a lot more risk) than the vast majority of the population I say let them.

So, sure, people like you can piss and moan and complain about rich people. Gates is working to eradicate Polio (almost has in India), what the hell have you done lately?

Out of curiosity, where do you think their money is right now OP?

Do you think each one of these billionaires has their money stashed away under their bed? Or do you think that it's possible that these billions of dollars are tied up in investments?

I'm sure Buffet, Gates and Zuckerberg pledging most of their fortune to charity is ignored here?

They'd be amongst the richest and guess what? They also made all that fortune themselves!

If someone wants to work harder, think smarter, and take more opportunities (and a lot more risk) than the vast majority of the population I say let them.

So, sure, people like you can piss and moan and complain about rich people. Gates is working to eradicate Polio (almost has in India), what the hell have you done lately?
as i posted earlier, i am not against the rich that is the system we live in, and the vast majority of the population in the western world can "work harder, think smarter, and take more opportunities" it they so desire.
but do we really think that same opportunity is available to the general populace in large portions of africa, asia and south america? i don't think we in the western world can tell a sweat shop worker on a dollar a day in india, china etc. that supplies us with the low coast products that we enjoy in the west to. "get up off your ass and get an education and a better job and make your fortune".
there isn't going to be a revolution because liberal democratic capitalism has no peer.
agree with you at the moment, capitalism has no peer. but does that mean we tell the sweat shop workers of the world, just put up with it this is the best we can do- suck it up? will never happen in my life time or maybe i'm naive but i am hoping one day, we as a compassionate human race can come up with a better system.

as i posted earlier, i am not against the rich that is the system we live in, and the vast majority of the population in the western world can "work harder, think smarter, and take more opportunities" it they so desire.
but do we really think that same opportunity is available to the general populace in large portions of africa, asia and south america? i don't think we in the western world can tell a sweat shop worker on a dollar a day in india, china etc. that supplies us with the low coast products that we enjoy in the west to. "get up off your ass and get an education and a better job and make your fortune".

agree with you at the moment, capitalism has no peer. but does that mean we tell the sweat shop workers of the world, just put up with it this is the best we can do- suck it up? will never happen in my life time or maybe i'm naive but i am hoping one day, we as a compassionate human race can come up with a better system.
My number one tenant is help and assistance should always be provided to those less fortunate to provide them with similar opportunities as everyone else.

If the uber-wealthy are putting money towards this then what is the problem? Why is it an issue that 62 people hold so much wealth? Yet to see an argument for this that makes any sense.

My number one tenant is help and assistance should always be provided to those less fortunate to provide them with similar opportunities as everyone else.

If the uber-wealthy are putting money towards this then what is the problem? Why is it an issue that 62 people hold so much wealth? Yet to see an argument for this that makes any sense.
the uber-wealthy have been helping the less fortunate for a long time agree, but is the plight of the less fortunate of the world any better than it was 50 years ago? have not traveled to third world countries my self although i do know a few who have traveled extensively through asia and south america (and not just to the mainstream tourist destinations) and they say the conditions are very distressing and seem hopeless.

the uber-wealthy have been helping the less fortunate for a long time agree, but is the plight of the less fortunate of the world any better than it was 50 years ago? have not traveled to third world countries my self although i do know a few who have traveled extensively through asia and south america (and not just to the mainstream tourist destinations) and they say the conditions are very distressing and seem hopeless.
You can't just throw money at problems and hope it goes away. A lot of these countries have widespread corruption and the government just takes it for their own. It is a slow process and will always be.

Poverty is at the lowest it's been in a long time FWIW.

You can't just throw money at problems and hope it goes away. A lot of these countries have widespread corruption and the government just takes it for their own. It is a slow process and will always be.

Poverty is at the lowest it's been in a long time FWIW.
strongly agree. hopefully one day we can come up with a whole new system of wealth distribution for the planet, that will still have a level of inequality, but hopefully not have as vast a difference in life style levels as we have now. imagine.

I think sweatshop workers can make their own decisions on what's best for them. doesn't make it "right" of course, but clearly these workers find it preferable to be exploited by nike or apple rather than scratching around in the dirt for food.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back