62 people have more wealth than half the worlds population

Remove this Banner Ad

Just look at the list of companies found to pay no or very little tax in Australia recently.
Yep, take a look at them. So far I've only seen this forum take shots at Rupert, Apple, Qantas and Boral.

But you're just generalising that all the companies who paid little/no tax in Australia were avoiding tax in Australia.

The world is burdened by 200 trillion dollars in debt that won't get paid back and will ultimately destroy emerging market economies and global growth,according to ASX chief executive Elmer Funke Kupper.
Sydney morning herald 20/1/2016
3 questions
1.Is 200 trillion near infinity?
2.Is Elmer Funke Kupper the coolest name?
3.Is it time for the big 62 to do some heavy lifting?(the funke kuppers will probably pass it on to poor pricks like me)

The world is burdened by 200 trillion dollars in debt that won't get paid back and will ultimately destroy emerging market economies and global growth,according to ASX chief executive Elmer Funke Kupper.
Sydney morning herald 20/1/2016
3 questions
1.Is 200 trillion near infinity?
2.Is Elmer Funke Kupper the coolest name?
3.Is it time for the big 62 to do some heavy lifting?(the funke kuppers will probably pass it on to poor pricks like me)
World Debt Clock

$59,455,961,246,061

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/
TOO BIG TO FAIL.
the banks and big business are all for austerity, market forces and for cutting social programs/handouts but when in trouble they don't mind sticking their hand out and asking for as much corporate welfare as they can get.

Last edited:
You guys are right,the world debt clock is infinity.I haven't checked it today but I think its hit terminal velocity after another billion dollar hit on the stock exchange.Poor Funke Kupper,he'll be stressing today.

comparatively speaking the so called "self made billionaires" would still have a hell of a head start on 99% of the worlds population, merely being born and raised in the western world is already a great start.
have seen this calculator before, but it's an interesting exercise, put in your income see where you sit.
http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Not disagreeing with you totally there but I don't think that holds true in all cases( Footy Smarts asked me about it yesterday and I'll back that up some time today). Even then I still don't understand why it is the fault of the wealthy that you keep buying their products :S

Top 0.06% if you really wanna know

Not disagreeing with you totally there but I don't think that holds true in all cases( Footy Smarts asked me about it yesterday and I'll back that up some time today). Even then I still don't understand why it is the fault of the wealthy that you keep buying their products :S

Top 0.06% if you really wanna know
why- because the problem is just too big for the likes of me, i haven't got much chance of changing the structure of the global economy. unfortunately i am a flawed human being, i have empathy for the large portion of the worlds population that live in abject poverty but i also have an unhealthy dose of apathy.
top 0.06% congratulations well done, i'm in the top 0.77% i think we can agree we are both pretty well off.

why- because the problem is just too big for the likes of me, i haven't got much chance of changing the structure of the global economy. unfortunately i am a flawed human being, i have empathy for the large portion of the worlds population that live in abject poverty but i also have an unhealthy dose of apathy.
top 0.06% congratulations well done, i'm in the top 0.77% i think we can agree we are both pretty well off.
Do you think the wealthy are obligated to attempt to change the structure somewhat? What if they are simply apathetic? Is that any worse than your position?

Absolutely. Took a risk on going into freelancing and 4 years later am starting to see the fruits of my labour. It's not been an easy journey and I would feel more than vindicated tearing someone to shreds if they said I was just "lucky". It's why I don't like it when people do the same to the millionaires and billionaires of the world.

Bit of a tangent sorry.

Why is it untenable? Why will it lead to that? It's had many, many, many years to do either of those things and it hasn't so why so confident in your opinion?

It's untenable because you have finite resources with a disproportionate concentration in the hands of very few. You have a mass of humanity (only increasing every year) living at or below the poverty line with the disparity widening each year and gap between wealthy and poor widening, not just across the planet but within "rich" 1st world countries. There is a tipping point where the middle class will be diminished in these countries and the people will no longer accept that it is their lot to live in poverty while others hoard the gold.

It would have already happened in the third world and does on occasion but the western intelligence/military services prop up illegitimate and corrupt governments in those countries, subvert the opposition and, when all else fails, drop bombs.

You say it's had many many years and hasn't? I'd argue it has but in the case of revolution just not in the countries we live in. Social reform has definitely happened albeit maybe not on the scale of some other countries. The reason being the people here have swallowed the bullshit while being able to turn a blind eye and get on with their lives - but if you start seeing the middle class lose jobs/houses things will change very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how did that work out?

it worked out fine? the enlightenment, private property capitalism & democratic governance consigned agrarian, hereditary feudalism to the dustbin.

but back on topic- as horrible as sweatshop/underpaid/exploited working conditions might be, demonstrably they're a better option than alternatives such as starving or whoring. no, it doesn't make it right, but these workers are better off than some.

The reason being the people here have swallowed the bullshit while being able to turn a blind eye and get on with their lives - but if you start seeing the middle class lose jobs/houses things will change very quickly.

Exactly.. The trick is keeping the middle class content, however poor they get... Fear is an important tool but that's for another discussion.

When those attempt to defend billionaires and the 'forgotten' trillionaires like the Rothschilds we're not talking 'I came up with a great idea and got rich' in 99% of cases. Most of the ultra wealthy are so by means of theft, war or slave labour...

Feudalism just automatically evolved into democratic governance?
Of course not- nothing “automatically” evolves in the context we’re talking. But if you’re attempting to insinuate significant societal change has always involved violent insurrection by the downtrodden, then I would disagree. It was called the industrial revolution, after all.

I don't get how this exploiting and making money off others is exactly new to anyone here. Trust me, all the people who are suggesting "solutions" are probably looking to exploit you as well.

Of course not- nothing “automatically” evolves in the context we’re talking. But if you’re attempting to insinuate significant societal change has always involved violent insurrection by the downtrodden, then I would disagree. It was called the industrial revolution, after all.

I said it would result in mass social reform or bloody revolution. Both have happened throughout history.

I don't really see what we are arguing about. :confused:

Do you think the wealthy are obligated to attempt to change the structure somewhat? What if they are simply apathetic? Is that any worse than your position?

Absolutely. Took a risk on going into freelancing and 4 years later am starting to see the fruits of my labour. It's not been an easy journey and I would feel more than vindicated tearing someone to shreds if they said I was just "lucky". It's why I don't like it when people do the same to the millionaires and billionaires of the world.
Bit of a tangent sorry.
no i don't feel they are obligated. but if the 62 got together (with trusted advisers) and pooled their knowledge/work ethic/vision/intelligence they would certainly have a better chance than any other group. the politicians of the world or the united nations have not improved the situation much.
i would say though if you are part of a system that has made you a billionaire or a multi millionaire you have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, the only thing that you could use as a reason for you to want to change the system is your empathy and compassion.

kudos to you, i have admiration for people who go out in the world and strive for what they want (as long as it is done without severe exploitation of other people) whether it be in business, sporting or any other endeavor. but i would assume without knowing your background, you would agree, you had a better chance of doing it than if you spent your early years in zimbabwe, togo or bangladesh.

Explain yourself or should I assume your knowledge of the world comes from news.com.au

well you know, the well-worn 'rothschilds are trillionaires and secretly control the world' nonsense spouted by every uneducated peasant with an internet connection. apologies if that's not where you were heading with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back