List Mgmt. Player Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason the AFL has given for no top-up players to other clubs seems acceptable, the other clubs would not be in the position of not being able to field a team without top-ups. The reserves side in the SANFL may or may not take a hit. But the question I would ask is why do Essendon come out better than us? They need their top-ups for OH&S reasons so that they don't have a tiny list playing the full season, but if we can't have our list taken up to their level, why is their list not coming down to ours?

The reason the AFL has given for no top-up players to other clubs seems acceptable, the other clubs would not be in the position of not being able to field a team without top-ups. The reserves side in the SANFL may or may not take a hit. But the question I would ask is why do Essendon come out better than us? They need their top-ups for OH&S reasons so that they don't have a tiny list playing the full season, but if we can't have our list taken up to their level, why is their list not coming down to ours?

image.jpg

..... the question I would ask is why do Essendon come out better than us? .....
The AFL have made it quite clear that keeping Essendon competitive is their main priority. There is only so much they can do to make Essendon stronger so they would see making some opposition clubs weaker as a viable strategy.

The AFL have made it quite clear that keeping Essendon competitive is their main priority. There is only so much they can do to make Essendon stronger so they would see making some opposition clubs weaker as a viable strategy.
To be frank, which is odd since my name is Michael, just one player who would be at the farthest from AFL selection would seem to do very little in keeping teams weak to keep Essendon competitive. A lot of what the AFL has done seems to be little more than lip service to Essendon fans. I have gone over most of the lists and we have been allowed to upgrade rookies to get us to the level of the other teams. Our 2015 draft rookies are the only ones left to be upgraded in the case of LTI but we would be unlikely to play first year rookies anyway.

What about Butcher? He's 197cm, the same height as Trengove, only 3cm shorter than Lobbe and Frampton. He's got a good leap and it seems that he's bulked up quite a bit this year.

I can see him doing well as a part timer.

Yes, Butcher could be in the mix but the thinking seems to be that John is a forward. I have seen Butcher play well at CHB in the SANFL but he only seems to play as a forward at AFL level. I would give Butcher a go as a pinch hitter in ruck but I don't think that is the mindset at Alberton.

To be frank, which is odd since my name is Michael, just one player who would be at the farthest from AFL selection would seem to do very little in keeping teams weak to keep Essendon competitive. .....
I agree, but I am trying to come up with a reason for the AFL to make, what appears to most people, an illogical decision.

The AFL has made it quite clear by their actions that they put the bottom line first and the integrity of the completion a distant last. This goes back to when this saga first became public with the AFL tipping off Essendon so that they could self report in an effort to minimise the damage to the AFL.

Once a person or organisation compromises their integrity their every action must be questioned or viewed in that light. It reminds me of the story about the rich old man who asks a young woman if she will sleep with him for $1M. She thinks about it for a few minutes and then replies "yes". The old man then asks if she will sleep with him for $10. She takes great offence to this and says "what kind of girl do you think I am?" to which he replies "We have already established that, now we are just negotiating on price."

At what point does the AFL stop trying to make Essendon competitive become it is good for the AFL's bottom line and instead uphold the integrity of the competition?

Would they consider instructing umpires to "ensure Essendon is competitive"?
Would they instruct the MRP to consider when a player's team is due to pay Essendon in determining the length of suspension?

This may sound like tin foil hat brigade stuff but as I said above, once you have compromised your integrity it is a slippery slope and where do you draw the line?

Not at all surprised by this decision...the AFL once again coming up with the most illogical solution to a problem they created!

While we've been screwed over the most here, it is somewhat refreshing to see the Melbourne AFL boy's club start to get what's been coming to them for a long time. People are finally starting to realise that their backroom, negotiated settlement model is just a farce to protect their brand and prevent people from taking them to court over their dodgy practices.

The AFL really needs to start recruiting commissioners from outside the "family" because the vested interests inside AFL House are appalling and clearly cloud their judgment.

I once spoke to a highly respected sports administrator who always made a point not work in a sport they were passionate about because they knew they couldn't be impartial, no matter how hard they tried! Food for thought for the AFL I'd say!

I agree…it has bred an incestuous mob of m********** b*******s As the 2 morons and the dildo are well defined in the Urban Dictionary.

They arnt banned essendon or banned port players they are just banned. Unfortunately they are on their own in terms of legally sourcing their pay. Essendon will pay them I have no doubt, they don't have a leg to stand on now that they've breached a duty of care.
I would still really like it if we could find away to employ the fellas outside the club with charity or indigenous programs, anything is better than nothing. They will be back late this year at the club which will go fast also.

I agree, but I am trying to come up with a reason for the AFL to make, what appears to most people, an illogical decision.

The AFL has made it quite clear by their actions that they put the bottom line first and the integrity of the completion a distant last. This goes back to when this saga first became public with the AFL tipping off Essendon so that they could self report in an effort to minimise the damage to the AFL.

Once a person or organisation compromises their integrity their every action must be questioned or viewed in that light. It reminds me of the story about the rich old man who asks a young woman if she will sleep with him for $1M. She thinks about it for a few minutes and then replies "yes". The old man then asks if she will sleep with him for $10. She takes great offence to this and says "what kind of girl do you think I am?" to which he replies "We have already established that, now we are just negotiating on price."

At what point does the AFL stop trying to make Essendon competitive become it is good for the AFL's bottom line and instead uphold the integrity of the competition?

Would they consider instructing umpires to "ensure Essendon is competitive"?
Would they instruct the MRP to consider when a player's team is due to pay Essendon in determining the length of suspension?

This may sound like tin foil hat brigade stuff but as I said above, once you have compromised your integrity it is a slippery slope and where do you draw the line?

You have nailed it. The loss of Integrity at the beginning under Vlad ..their direction went out the door when he handed over to the Gutless Gill, his direction led to further loss of credibility in an organization that is now landed at rock bottom. Gill and his quasi mob should be sacked.They have brought the game into disrepute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have nailed it. The loss of Integrity at the beginning under Vlad ..their direction went out the door when he handed over to the Gutless Gill, his direction led to further loss of credibility in an organization that is now landed at rock bottom. Gill and his quasi mob should be sacked.They have brought the game into disrepute.

Agree 100%!

I wonder if there is any way he can be sacked for incompetence the same way a board of directors could sack a president of a company or similar.

Could the afl clubs have a vote of no confidence? Even if it doesn't pass it would at least put gill and co on notice.

Agree 100%!

I wonder if there is any way he can be sacked for incompetence the same way a board of directors could sack a president of a company or similar.

Could the afl clubs have a vote of no confidence? Even if it doesn't pass it would at least put gill and co on notice.

Let's see how he handles the carve up of the new media rights deal first - he'll need to keep both the AFLPA and the clubs happy at the same time. Good luck with that.

They've lost 12 players and can only select up to 10 players. So they take a hit as well. The only difference between the two lists is that Essendon have a Cat B rookie. Big deal.

My thoughts are that if we had a 3rd or 4th year Ruck on our list already noone would give a shit if we got a replacement or not.

They've lost 12 players and can only select up to 10 players. So they take a hit as well. The only difference between the two lists is that Essendon have a Cat B rookie. Big deal.

My thoughts are that if we had a 3rd or 4th year Ruck on our list already noone would give a shit if we got a replacement or not.

I don't think it would make a huge difference to our AFL team unless Lobbe goes down. We wouldn't of been able to find/recruit a gun AFL quality player/ruck.
If we got two replacements they would have at least supplied some depth and help to our youngsters in the magpies.
Im sure the sanfl won't be in anyway accomodationg if we struggle for top up players to fill our magpies side. Thats were I think it may hurt us the most.

There's only .000000001% chance if it happening but could you imagine how brilliant that would be, on so many levels.

I must say, I've got a really good feeling about Butch this year. Sadly my feelings mean jack shit.
He's in great shape and looks hungry for success and is at the right age to start peaking.

Every announcement of a new top up player for Essendon is another injustice to the other clubs, the inequity that this has been is a complete farce. I never 100% bought into the AFL being a corrupt until now. 100% a decision based on cash. They couldn't give a shit about the other clubs, they just want to protect their precious revenue from Essendon. The rest are just collateral damage.

**** them. This competition is a joke, and if I wasn't jaded before, i'll be jaded for life now. campaigners.

We did and we decided for some reason to de-list him.

Delisting redden was 100% the right call, even with hindsight. Not drafting a mature ruck in his place was the error.

The AFL are campaigners.

We ****ed up our list management. Macca19 is right - if we had drafted another ruck, no-one could care less about top ups.

I repeat, the AFL are still campaigners.

Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back