Training Pre-Season 2015-16

Remove this Banner Ad

I sort of channel him secretly whenever I'm called on to imitate a Northern Irish accent, which no doubt adds a gentle lilt to my version. Just think of his man John Knox's pamphlet title: "First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women!" and you get an idea of how lyrical and soft that old school Presbyterian culture could be.

It's Norn Iron. Not Northern Ireland you ponce :)

I'm a Conca fan but being a pick 6 means nothing when you've been in the system for 5+ years and haven't got much to show for it. I'm confident his best is good enough but another injury plagued year and he's in trouble.
His best in all likelyhood will be good enough. He has never shown the attributes of a top 10 pick hence the constant criticisms. We have only ever had at best a decent player in conca. To me thats okay if he becomes a decent player. I dont have angst at Conca he never selected himself in the draft. To a lot of people though it was patently clear he should not have been taken where he was, for that Jackson needs to put his hand up.
If people think we have a potential A grade player on our hands they need only look at the weaknesses in his game to know otherwise.

His best in all likelyhood will be good enough. He has never shown the attributes of a top 10 pick hence the constant criticisms. We have only ever had at best a decent player in conca. To me thats okay if he becomes a decent player. I dont have angst at Conca he never selected himself in the draft. To a lot of people though it was patently clear he should not have been taken where he was, for that Jackson needs to put his hand up.
If people think we have a potential A grade player on our hands they need only look at the weaknesses in his game to know otherwise.

Go to sleep.

It's Norn Iron. Not Northern Ireland you ponce :)
I know that; was simply translating for the benefit of the readership. But before you call me a "ponce" and accuse me of a want of knowledge I present these facts in response.

I bear the strange burden of being descended from Tasmanian Aboriginals, various other people who are irrelevant to this discussion, a peasant from Cork who was transported to Van Diemans Land for stealing potatoes during the famine, and a vicious bunch of petite bourgeois Presbyterian snobs from Ulster whose ancestors had been exiled there by James VI for being irreconcilable border ruffians.

Other than that my main connection with Ulster has been that I once in the early 1990s a received phone call from Eamonn McCann, friend, comrade and fellow trouble maker of the most magnificent woman ever to grace a parliament, Bernadette Devlin, who after being courted by the tabloid press for wearing a miniskirt to Westminster, punched out the Tory Home Minister when he lied about Bloody Sunday.

Later in 1995 I found myself in "Norn Iron" and nervously walked into a bar in Derry, in the Bogside. I ended up striking a conversation with two blokes which developed into the statutory long, rambling, glorious, and occasionally surreal, conversation only slightly marred by the gathering impression that one of them at least may have fancied me. At one point I emerged from the toilet to buy my shout, found a fresh pint of Guinness and, upon asking who had bought it, received the reply that it was the barmaid. :) So I like Norn Iron. :) Though later, I visited the seaside there and got sunburned. Yes, I am Aboriginal and I was sunburned in Northern Ireland.

Also, as an alternative to anyone who thinks that Rita Panahi represents the rights of women. Here's how to fight for the rights of women, men and the rest of the human race who are largely not on the payroll of Rupert. Bernadette Devlin would probably have downed seven Guinnesses and partnered Dusty in a tag team slap down of any tabloid journalist that came within their reach. Watch this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00nm166

(Sorry for the derailment, but I couldn't resist.)

It's really not...a 23 yr old pick 6 who hasn't had a great run at it.

Agree to disagree I guess. I hope neither of us are proven right or wrong and he has an injury free year. We need more inside grunt and he has that. If he has a string of games on the trot, who knows what will happen to his confidence.

His physical appearance this season hopefully means everything is stronger and less susceptible to injuries.

Agree to disagree I guess. I hope neither of us are proven right or wrong and he has an injury free year. We need more inside grunt and he has that. If he has a string of games on the trot, who knows what will happen to his confidence.

His physical appearance this season hopefully means everything is stronger and less susceptible to injuries.

I tell you one thing...we add a few cms to our players. His listed at 185cm and he is no where near that.

I hope Conca gets an injury free run at it and no doubt he'll strengthen our midfield. I think he'll be solid though rather than spectacular. Don't see him adding to our list of A grade mids.

Conca is the perfect complimentary mid, you think of our midfield and the names Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Deledio spring to mind.
Then there is Reece, constantly battling injuries in the past but whenever he gets an extended run at it he's right alongside the big names sheparding, tackling and scrapping for the loose ball to make things easier for them. That tackle on Gibson last season in his first game back against Hawthorn was worth an orgasm, ragdolled the muppet.
In past season when he's had a nice run at it he's really shown some great skill and confidence on the outside as well. He can play any role and is suited to being a vital unassuming cog in the guts, let's hope his body lets him this season.

I know that; was simply translating for the benefit of the readership. But before you call me a "ponce" and accuse me of a want of knowledge I present these facts in response.

I bear the strange burden of being descended from Tasmanian Aboriginals, various other people who are irrelevant to this discussion, a peasant from Cork who was transported to Van Diemans Land for stealing potatoes during the famine, and a vicious bunch of petite bourgeois Presbyterian snobs from Ulster whose ancestors had been exiled there by James VI for being irreconcilable border ruffians.

Other than that my main connection with Ulster has been that I once in the early 1990s a received phone call from Eamonn McCann, friend, comrade and fellow trouble maker of the most magnificent woman ever to grace a parliament, Bernadette Devlin, who after being courted by the tabloid press for wearing a miniskirt to Westminster, punched out the Tory Home Minister when he lied about Bloody Sunday.

Later in 1995 I found myself in "Norn Iron" and nervously walked into a bar in Derry, in the Bogside. I ended up striking a conversation with two blokes which developed into the statutory long, rambling, glorious, and occasionally surreal, conversation only slightly marred by the gathering impression that one of them at least may have fancied me. At one point I emerged from the toilet to buy my shout, found a fresh pint of Guinness and, upon asking who had bought it, received the reply that it was the barmaid. :) So I like Norn Iron. :) Though later, I visited the seaside there and got sunburned. Yes, I am Aboriginal and I was sunburned in Northern Ireland.

Also, as an alternative to anyone who thinks that Rita Panahi represents the rights of women. Here's how to fight for the rights of women, men and the rest of the human race who are largely not on the payroll of Rupert. Bernadette Devlin would probably have downed seven Guinnesses and partnered Dusty in a tag team slap down of any tabloid journalist that came within their reach. Watch this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00nm166

(Sorry for the derailment, but I couldn't resist.)

Pretty awesome story pal. Two thumbs up:thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conca is the perfect complimentary mid, you think of our midfield and the names Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Deledio spring to mind.
Then there is Reece, constantly battling injuries in the past but whenever he gets an extended run at it he's right alongside the big names sheparding, tackling and scrapping for the loose ball to make things easier for them. That tackle on Gibson last season in his first game back against Hawthorn was worth an orgasm, ragdolled the muppet.
In past season when he's had a nice run at it he's really shown some great skill and confidence on the outside as well. He can play any role and is suited to being a vital unassuming cog in the guts, let's hope his body lets him this season.
There was also one on Lewis in that game where he took him down front on when he was in full flight , very lucky not to get called for HTB ...so yes there are lots of little unheralded bits to his game that will help us greatly if he can get a solid run at it

There was also one on Lewis in that game where he took him down front on when he was in full flight , very lucky not to get called for HTB ...so yes there are lots of little unheralded bits to his game that will help us greatly if he can get a solid run at it

Reckon he has enough else in the kit? Doesn't mind a bit of inside work but sometimes his kicking and decision making can be a bit iffy. Prepared to absolve of that horrendous turn over in the EF - he shouldn't have even be playing but I don't want to see him kicking 10 meters when a hand pass is clearly the option. If TV is prepared to hit a hand pass target at 20 meters the least Reece can do is play within his means.

Reckon he has enough else in the kit? Doesn't mind a bit of inside work but sometimes his kicking and decision making can be a bit iffy. Prepared to absolve of that horrendous turn over in the EF - he shouldn't have even be playing but I don't want to see him kicking 10 meters when a hand pass is clearly the option. If TV is prepared to hit a hand pass target at 20 meters the least Reece can do is play within his means.

Great use in tight.

Righto, so I poked my head in at training again today. Really shitty trying to watch from through the fence next to the merch shop and I wont be doing it again. Anyway, here are some bits and pieces gathered from what I saw.

Yarran, Hampson, Batch, Griff, Morris and Drummond all restricted to running laps at various paces. The one that seemed closest to full pace was Drummond. There was no sign at all of Lids, McKenzie or Chaplin. Pretty sure I accounted for everyone else including all the rookies.

Despite the early rain yesterday, training was a dry affair but with a pretty strong breeze which noticeably affected kicking.

First drill looked like they were working on exit kicks from stoppages deep in defence. A ruckman (either Maric or McBean) would contest against the speccy bag tapping to players goal side of the contest who would quickly kick towards the vicinity of the boundary. Looked pretty scrappy to be honest.

Next drill, a few of the boys put in mouthguards and many of the mids were doing stoppage work with 2 players in blue vests trying to defend a stoppage against a ruck (Ivan or Soldo) and 4 mids. Notable inclusions in this group included Moore, Townsend and Vlaustin. No sign of Cotch or Titch. Townsend is a mongrel and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Based on what I saw, he would be ahead of Moore to get first crack at the inside enforcer/protector role. His skills are definitely better.

There were other all ground drills etc but my eyes starting glazing over and I pulled the pin and moved on.

The only other things of note:
- Lock Alex Rance in for his 3rd AA. He will improve again next year.
- Ben Lennon. Looking fit, sharp and aggressive. Knocked more than 1 bloke over throughout training.
- Marboi Chol. I'm not sure what the knock on this bloke was that saw him slip to the rookie draft but he has some really exciting traits. Clean hands, a big leap and a neat left foot kick. If we don't sponsor him, then I'll be filthy.

Was too hard to focus on too much. Hopefully I can give a bit more next week when I can sit in the Jack Dyer stand and write stuff as I go (and actually see whats going on). Feel free to ask questions but like last time, I probably wont be able to answer them. :confused:

great report Johnno. You mention at the end of it that you are heading down next week, do you have any info on training times ?

Listening to Richmond Tiger Talk

http://richo.podbean.com/
Talks of out of contract players being Maric, McBean, Vickery, Griffith, Astbury, Chaplin, Hampson. If any others I didn't hear.

Sort of adds to the Chaplin phase out thread. Astbury is a bit do or die while Elton still has another year. Our tall forwards are up for grabs as well.

Seems we either back in a few or let them go and then who gets the vacant spots?

When you think a player might be up for grabs does it change your perspective?

Grief, talk about scrapping the barrel toward the end of the off season...

Listening to Richmond Tiger Talk

http://richo.podbean.com/
Talks of out of contract players being Maric, McBean, Vickery, Griffith, Astbury, Chaplin, Hampson. If any others I didn't hear.

Sort of adds to the Chaplin phase out thread. Astbury is a bit do or die while Elton still has another year. Our tall forwards are up for grabs as well.

Seems we either back in a few or let them go and then who gets the vacant spots?

When you think a player might be up for grabs does it change your perspective?

Grief, talk about scrapping the barrel toward the end of the off season...
There's only one on that list who has any 'push' available in negotiations.
The rest.....

here's our offer....let us know when you're ready.

Because i'm bored and all the lawns are done here is my Rnd 1 nab cup:
B:Morris,Astbury,Broad.
HB:ManRWeDue,Elton,Hunt.
C:Markov,Lambert,McIntosh
HF:Butler,Griffiths,Lloyd.
F:McBean,Mckenzie,Short.
R:Vickery,Conca,C.Ellis
I/C:Costagna,Marcon,Townsend,A.Moore,C.Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back