Scandal Lyon and Brownless

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people with mental health issues caused by conditions such s bipolar, schizophrenia-these are long term and need consistent management.
Then there are people who get depressed because of grief, or loss or a traumatic experience-that is shorter- term and people usually recover or get used to things and so carry on. Perhaps Lyon is suffering from that because his marriage has broken up and he has got involved with a good mate's wife and he probably feels bad about it. Its still a mental health issue isn't it?

As long as calling it a 'mental health issue' isn't a means of gaining sympathy or an attempt to maintain a healthy public image..

Just seems convenient, similar to Franklin.

Read it again. I responded to this: The friendship shattered after Brownless discovered a relationship between his ex-wife Nicky and Lyon. I have given an opinion on the great "Male taboo".

It's a spin to cover up some shenanigans with a mate's wife. The mate found out and the PR machine went into overdrive, it's total BS and an affront to all those who really have mental health issues to be playing this card so cheaply. It was a no go zone and Lyon must've known that? CH9 have a huge problem.

The bottom line is you don't know-
1) what happened
2) whether he has a mental illness or not
3 whether anyone with a mental illness thinks it's an affront or not

.....but despite that you are happy to be bullish about the 'facts'. Just own it rather than getting defensive and denying that is what you are doing.

So you have diagnosed Lyon yourself?
Let me get this right, you are saying if you are able to have sex, you cannot suffer depression at the same time?
In what medical text book can I find that?

I am not sure how much of Sigmund Freud's theories are still considered the stable of psychopathology but he was of the view that sexual desire was a factor in mental illness.

Lyon may well have a condition which has deteriorated at the loss of what appeared to be an importance friendship, as others have say there has been talk over time that Lyon had some form of anxiety.

As long as calling it a 'mental health issue' isn't a means of gaining sympathy or an attempt to maintain a healthy public image..

Just seems convenient, similar to Franklin.
Yep, seems convenient but unless he is a complete tosser, he probably does feel sad, guilty about what has happened-lots of people hurt etc.

Never assumed anything, more a suggestion that you haven't had to deal with depression, hopefully you haven't because I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

As for being an expert, I never said that I was one, my comments have been about the increased number of celebrities and sports stars who claim mental illness when things go wrong.

To me it's the easy way out by claiming it is the reason things have gone wrong. As I've said when things have gone wrong for me I don't go throwing the fact I have depression around to try and excuse my poor behavior, I man up, put my hand up and deal with what I've done.

Garry stuffed up and now it's gone pear shaped and the public are finding out details the mental illness excuse has been wheeled out by the 9 PR team. Rather convenient for that to happen now the s**t has hit the fan don't you think. I mean you claimed there were rumours that he has had issues for a while, why not announce he had issues and was taking a break after the season ended last year. Nobody would have batted an eyelid had that happened.
Perhaps he didn't want the public to know of his issues then, but since half his private life has been in the media, they felt the need to get the rest out.

Again, you seem to have a great lack of understanding of mental health issues. You first had a go at me assuming I hadn't gone through them (despite now back-pedalling on that). Every person deals differently you "manned up" and dealt with them, some can't, some aren't ready to, some need more help, some never do. Passing judgement on another's mental health issues is ridiculous and someone who has been through it should know better.

Also, what's with the common post on here "he wasn't depressed when he was ******* bills ex". He may well have been, who the * knows? It's astounding the rubbish people will say when anonymous on the Internet

I wonder what Caroline Wilson makes of all of this?

Something like this ?

YriqhKol.jpg

I have a serious mental illness and it worries me that this card is starting to be played in the media when there is a scandal.

Now Garry COULD have severe depression, and if so, I feel for the guy and hope he gets treatment if so.

But if 'serious mental illness' is being used as a cover up, well, IMO that's the same as saying someone has Cancer when they don't.

Ditto ... seems like the new "default diagnosis" for celebs that have made horrid, selfish choices.
... if he is truly ill, I too feel for him ... but having met this guy briefly on a couple of occasions ... He comes across as an entitled, self-centred prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's shift the focus off the real victims in this story, the children. Let's all shed tears for poor Garry and the dick he can't allegedly keep in his pants, because he has depression! What a cop out.

In fairness to Lyon, is it possible that channel 9 have gone how do we handle this? someone knowing Gary has had some form of anxiety, thinks, lets go with he is suffering depression as the reason hoping that the other media outlets, out of respect will back right off.

Will be on 6pm news tonight

So is this going to be the norm from now on? Whenever someone stuffs up they say they have a mental illness in order to be left alone by the media? I feel sorry for people like Mitch Clark who genuinely do suffer from depression, not as a result of their actions. It completely undermines them.
What proof is there that Garry Lyon's depression is any less legitimate than Mitch Clark's?

The bottom line is you don't know-
1) what happened
2) whether he has a mental illness or not
3 whether anyone with a mental illness thinks it's an affront or not

.....but despite that you are happy to be bullish about the 'facts'. Just own it rather than getting defensive and denying that is what you are doing.
Look, you're just pushing for a barney and i'm not going to fall for it, you are childish and immature and you cannot read. You might as well close down Big Footy because none of us know anything except the information given to us by the media and that has been plentiful on this subject. I am responding only to the headlines from both the Age and Sun that state the reasons behind "what happened". It's not hard to find out, it's all over the papers and internet! I've only given my thoughts on it and a view on "Male taboos", so i'll stick to that.
IMO the mental illness card is being played by the Nine PR department to shield Lyon from something that has obviously REALLY happened and he has been stood down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back