30 Prospects to watch for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest what players are they? A Swans fan did ask an academy coach a few weeks ago about this and what he got was that the coaches were very excited about out 2017 and 2018 prospects but the fan did not get any specific names.
Luke Skirvanic, Angus Rankin and Jack Hardman are the standouts.

Hey Grundog,

Read an article recently (a WA newspaper I think) that suggested Petrevski-Seton currently stands 183cm. If true, and with another 12 months of potential growth prior to his likely AFL debut -

1) were you aware of this when you suggested his biggest concern was a lack of size?
2) if not, does this change your slight issue with his size?

Edit: The Age has him at 183, The West Australian at 182

Last edited:
But doesn't that leave excellent Victorians for you that would otherwise be theirs. It means they miss out on the next Parker Hannebery

How do you figure?

The academy is presenting them with the opportunity to get these highly rated young guns, e.g. Heeney and Mills who were both considered top 2 picks, for a discounted price...which really is quite unfair. And now we're discussing them getting 3 more highly rated forwards in the next few years.

Parker and Hannebery have nothing to do with this.

How do you figure?

The academy is presenting them with the opportunity to get these highly rated young guns, e.g. Heeney and Mills who were both considered top 2 picks, for a discounted price...which really is quite unfair. And now we're discussing them getting 3 more highly rated forwards in the next few years.

Can you name how many top draft pick players have come from the Sydney zone? If you can you will see it is not a big list. These players are the very example of players that would not make it in the AFL if not for the academy.

How do you figure?

What are you complaining about? The Victorian clubs have been given academy zones in AFL developed areas (not NRL areas). You get to pick the best talent from those areas as well as not having to worry about your young stars wanting to go back to their home state. Stop sooking. If anyone should be complaining it's the NSW and Qld clubs who are almost back to where they started in the 90's.

Last edited:
Hey Grundog,

Read an article recently (a WA newspaper I think) that suggested Petrevski-Seton currently stands 183cm. If true, and with another 12 months of potential growth prior to his likely AFL debut -

1) were you aware of this when you suggested his biggest concern was a lack of size?
2) if not, does this change your slight issue with his size?

Edit: The Age has him at 183, The West Australian at 182
His height is more a request and not really a concern.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone from the Lions or Suns academies from 2017 onwards? I have heard the Lions may have a potential number 1 pick in Bellendon (sp?) a KPF.
Connor Ballenden is a star. He's a 198 cm key position forward who kicked the most goals in Division Two 16's.

Jack Clayton is a good one as well. Didn't star at the u16 Championships but is in the AIS level one. Is a star cricketer as well.

What are you complaining about? The Victorian clubs have been given academy zones in AFL developed areas (not NRL areas). You get to pick the best talent from those areas as well as not having to worry about your young stars wanting to go back to their home state. Stop sooking. If anyone should be complaining it's the NSW and Qld clubs who are almost back to where they started in the 90's.
No point in having a draft then mate if that was the case. Can you explain it to me because that makes no sense at all.

No point in having a draft then mate if that was the case. Can you explain it to me because that makes no sense at all.
The same as this year. Academy players are able to be selected by anybody, however the academy club will have the opportunity to match the bid with 80% of the points if they choose.

Carlton has number one pick, they choose to select John Doe who is a GWS Academy player.

If GWS can match 80% of the points, they get to take John Doe at pick one while Carlton now has pick 2.

If GWS don't want to match the points or can't do so, John Doe now plays for Carlton.

Not every player in the draft will be an academy member, although I question the need for academies in victoria when the TAC cup has proved more than adequate at developing young players. Surely there would be a better way to offset the academy advantage for NSW/QLD clubs rather than this.

Yes, that seems true so far. In fact with Heeney & Mills probably you could say the Swans top end has been even higher. I'd put the 'stronger team' bit down to the GWS having the Riverina district - have to admit it probably provides a good base to pull wider amount of talent, it just didn't seem to get developed enough in the past to get drafted highly. Hopefully, though, the metropolitan Sydney development for both clubs will continue - we're seeing some names in the GWS squads (Hupfield, Clark, Owen-Auburn) who are a bit higher up the pecking order, but I think it will take a few more years yet to overtake the Riverina baseline. I don't know enough of the Swans names to comment, but obviously you've done well the past 2 years in developing Heeney & Mills from out of rugby backgrounds.

Interesting result for the U18 Academy Giants Vs Swans in Game 1 last weekend with the Swans winning 13:17:95 over the Giants 7:9:51 and could have been a bigger blow out if the Swans Academy kicked straight. Giants did have 6 players out though, including Connor Owen-Auburn & Brendon Clark, whilst Lyndon Hupfield is no longer at Giants and is now with the South Australian academy. With the 6 players coming back in for Game 2, I think the results will be different. However it is a good result for NSW footy and shows that the talent nurtured from the Swans is growing since Swans don't have Riverina recruitment area and most of their U18s are Sydney product.

Had GC Suns Digital guy source the latest measurements on Bowes and Scheer.

Bowes
187cm, 78kg

Scheer
184cm, 83kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripper kid, modest humble and one who can actually play football.

Moved down back mid way through last year and reaped immediate rewards. Don't be surprised to see him fill out and become a true KPP (at either end)
I like him as a hybrid defender.

James El Moussalli
Essendon VFL /Vic Metro (2015)
Inside Midfielder
Height: 189 cm Weight: 88 kg

The best Victorian prospect tag belongs to this kid. Had to have a shoulder reconstruction after a bad fall early last season, he did not get to play in the carnival for Vic Metro. James was overlooked for the draft but has been very impressive when training with the Essendon seniors. He was very close to being put on their list as a top up player. He is an inside midfielder who can can go forward and has showed everyone that he is a top talent and made everyone take note. James' best talent is his ability to hit the scoreboard from the midfield. He is a beast who already looks like an AFL player. I predict he will be the next Michael Barlow. At the end of the 2015 season it was rumored he trained with an AFL club ( I'm not sure who) so don't be surprised if he is a top 30 prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back