Mature Age Mature Age Prospects 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pretty sure that to initially enter the AFL system you first have to nominate for the National Draft. If you don’t get selected, you can then be picked up in the PSD, rookie draft, SPP or mid-season draft. But first you have to make it unselected through the ND.

One exception is that the AFL has issued a few exemptions for players wanting to nominate for the mid-season draft who haven’t previously nominated for the ND.

And another exception is for players joining a Cat B rookie list as an international or out-of-system-for-three-years players. Academy (NG and Northern) do need to go through the ND before they can be listed as a Cat B rookie.

Rules for those who have previously been on a list are different.

Saints could do with Mannagh, seeing Gresham has left.
Van De Houvel could be a handy FB pick up.

Geelong need van de heuvel with sav gone (no kpd depth) and with the family connection i imagine we would be keen to take him.

No idea.

You’d have to name both players, so someone could assess their footballing ability.

The majority of quality city kids are on a footy scholarship by year 10 or 11, regardless of where they live.

The APS schools are even picking up kids from interstate on footy scholarships (there are kids from both the Lions & Suns academies on footy scholarships in Vic).

If your kid at the State school hasn’t been offered a scholarship to a private school, fair chance he’s not a genuine draft prospect.

*I’m just some random numpty on the interwebs sitting at home in another State, so I’d be taking my posts with a big bucket of salt.

That's a fair generalisation.

Whilst most kids do get private school scholarships, there's still plenty in each draft from state schools or non APS/AGSV schools

Harley Reid goes to Kyabram P-12, he would have got every scholarship offer under the sun to board somewhere.

Zane Duursma goes to Lowanna College (Same school as Bailey Humphrey) and the same applies to him as Reid.

Nate Caddy is at Parade College.

etc

Some kids just don't want to move schools and or/ away from home.

Last edited:
That's a fair generalisation.

Whilst most kids do get private school scholarships, there's still plenty in each draft from state schools or non APS/AGSV schools

Harley Reid goes to Kyabram P-12, he would have got every scholarship offer under the sun to board somewhere.

Zane Duursma goes to Lowanna College (Same school as Bailey Humphrey) and the same applies to him as Reid.

Nate Caddy is at Parade College.

etc

Some kids just don't want to move schools and or/ away from home.
So they were offered scholarships, but turned them down?

That was part of my point, “offered a scholarship”.

We have kids up here in QLD being offered scholarships from Vic private schools. From the little I’ve heard, most turn them down.

But, your point is still valid. Yes there are kids from outside the Vic private school system that get drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Sam Sofronidis is a very good shout to get an opportunity... Played at Sandy Dragons the year the King twins were there and dominated in the VAFA for Collegians this year.

Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney and Gold Coast have all done work on the unassuming intercept defender, expressing varying levels of interest.

I've heard from two VFL contacts that Shaun Mannagh is a very good chance this year, probably as a rookie. Both were pretty dismayed that he hasn't been given a shot before and is well ahead of other VFL pick ups like Mick Gibbons and Robbie McComb when they were drafted. He's apparently been spoken to by Carlton, Melbourne and West Coast.

Ethan Phillips would be a rare standout to win the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal and not get drafted, although there's not been much talk on him; reckon his chances might have taken a hit when North opted for Toby Pink as a DFA, who were supposedly into both (although maybe they still are). Those that have won that medal, have been drafted to an AFL list for 15 straight years.

Looks like Sam Sofronidis is a very good shout to get an opportunity... Played at Sandy Dragons the year the King twins were there and dominated in the VAFA for Collegians this year.

I've heard from two VFL contacts that Shaun Mannagh is a very good chance this year, probably as a rookie. Both were pretty dismayed that he hasn't been given a shot before and is well ahead of other VFL pick ups like Mick Gibbons and Robbie McComb when they were drafted. He's apparently been spoken to by Carlton, Melbourne and West Coast.

Ethan Phillips would be a rare standout to win the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal and not get drafted, although there's not been much talk on him; reckon his chances might have taken a hit when North opted for Toby Pink as a DFA, who were supposedly into both (although maybe they still are). Those that have won that medal, have been drafted to an AFL list for 15 straight years.
Can probably add North to the Mannagh interest with his Werribie coach Barlow there now

Interesting. Duffield /code sports had Freo interested in mannagh & clohsey

Again, not what I was told but could well be right. The nature of the draft is that some club could draft him out of left field is as likely is that nobody does. Freo have probably had more success with drafting mature players from the VFL and other places than any other club off the top of my head... So it would also makes sense.

Ryan, Barlow, Schultz, Broughton, Peake, Spurr etc. not to mention they first sighted players like Collins, Menegola, Meek, A. Silvagni, Butheras etc.

Phillips has signed with box hill so likely that the hawks take him to fill the key back spot. If he’s ok that’s a lot of cash saved on Ben McKay!

Phillips has signed with box hill so likely that the hawks take him to fill the key back spot. If he’s ok that’s a lot of cash saved on Ben McKay!

I didn't know he'd switched actually. Port had convinced him to stick with footy and given him a heap of opportunity and development, so that's a bit of a surprise.

I don't really see how Box Hill signing him makes him any more likely to be drafted though, it actually says the opposite to me. Him commiting to training with Hawthorn over the pre-season would actually suggest that there isn't much solid interest, outside of a remote SSP chance with the Hawks.

I'm guessing that he may still live at home with his mother in their Kooyong/Hawthorn residence; Box Hill probably just represents a less arduous travel time to training and that he's leaning towards not being drafted, but taking the chance and going all in with BH/Hawthorn.

Interesting...

I didn't know he'd switched actually. Port had convinced him to stick with footy and given him a heap of opportunity and development, so that's a bit of a surprise.

I don't really see how Box Hill signing him makes him any more likely to be drafted though, it actually says the opposite to me. Him commiting to training with Hawthorn over the pre-season would actually suggest that there isn't much solid interest, outside of a remote SSP chance with the Hawks.

I'm guessing that he may still live at home with his mother in their Kooyong/Hawthorn residence; Box Hill probably just represents a less arduous travel time to training and that he's leaning towards not being drafted, but taking the chance and going all in with BH/Hawthorn.

Interesting...

Thats true although the hawks have a history of taking their vfl guys in the MSD so hes probably trying to set himself up to get on their list next year.

My worry with sofronidis is that he was planning not to play this year-i would want to know how good his commitment to making the afl is. I think mannagh will definitely go and maybe main draft not rookie. I also think sam clohesy will definitely get taken as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back