Mature Age Mature Age Prospects 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Maybe it's time to re write this thread title into Mature Aged Draft Prospects 2022;

2022 Fothergil - Round - Mitchell award with it's stories history of rewarding winners with AFL chances has been given out tonight.

23 year old, 198cm key defender Ethan Phillips won this years version on the back of leading the VFL in both intercept possessions and marks per game.

306731450_10159389729828178_4738881382053997365_n.jpg

Can definitely see a team taking a chance on the former Oakleigh Charger

Former Suns academy player Jacob Dawson is this year's coaches player of the year whilst we're on the topic of awards

305747557_10159389732703178_7098276736862837247_n.jpg

the 22/23 year old is a clearance machine and wins almost half his football in contested situations. The 182cm could be given another shot

If the title has a year that usually means there’s a new thread each year
Small forward prospects, Baynen Lowe (4 goals in SANFL prelim) Josh Gore (28 goals in last 14 games in bottom SANFL side)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913-072055_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913-072055_YouTube.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20220913-072437_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913-072437_YouTube.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
The obvious one right now is Frank Szekely. He is the only mature aged prospect with a combine invite.

Plus Tom Emmett, Rhett Montgomerie, Toby McQuilkin, Kealan Bradtke and a handful of 19 year olds.

Think Lowe was one of the 19 year olds, Nigel Lockyer Jr is a smokey, great highlight real

Baynen Lowe and Oscar Steene were the two 19 year olds from SA. Jerome Lawrence, Will Edwards, Harvey Gallagher, Brandon Leary and Brinn Little are the others I believe. Of those, I'd say Gallagher is most likely to be picked up in the main draft.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at Ethan Phillips and Tyreece Leiu if I wanted a mature aged KPD - also Mutaz El Nour as more of a third tall. Not quite the mature aged ruck options as in previous years, but Harry Boyd from Norwood had a good year and can also play KPD if needed. And of those invited, I've only seen a very small bit of Kaelan Bradtke but he looks like he has potential and Frank Szekely looks ready for his chance now.

Baynen Lowe and Oscar Steene were the two 19 year olds from SA. Jerome Lawrence, Will Edwards, Harvey Gallagher, Brandon Leary and Brinn Little are the others I believe. Of those, I'd say Gallagher is most likely to be picked up in the main draft.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at Ethan Phillips and Tyreece Leiu if I wanted a mature aged KPD - also Mutaz El Nour as more of a third tall. Not quite the mature aged ruck options as in previous years, but Harry Boyd from Norwood had a good year and can also play KPD if needed. And of those invited, I've only seen a very small bit of Kaelan Bradtke but he looks like he has potential and Frank Szekely looks ready for his chance now.
Steene was the ruckman in the Gore clip, great tap and rove at a goal square stoppage

I was surprised we went with Kallan Dawson over Phillips in the MSD. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Phillips gets listed based on the lack of KP depth in this draft.

El Nour was stiff not to go in the MSD but hardly played in the 2nd half of the year so doubt he gets picked up in the draft.

Casey Voss can’t do much more to get his chance.

Think Lowe was one of the 19 year olds, Nigel Lockyer Jr is a smokey, great highlight real
Think Lockyer trained with Essendon once

Jack Maibaum could get another chance, was the best defender in the VFL this year with a bullet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody amazing in the SANFL apart from Voss. Lowe might appeal though he's no better than Rowe at SANFL level. Tom Lewis as a Tom Atkins type potentially.

Rate Lewis but he is coming back from a very serious injury, of the SANFL players who have never been on a list and performed for a reasonable period of time I rate Boyd, Gore, Voss and Roekar as having AFL traits

Definitely forgot Boyd, he'd probably go up there with Voss. Been quite big on him all year, most clearances in the comp and solid state game.

Rokahr I've ummed and ahhed about, shows huge work rate and clearance ability and would add depth but not a huge POD.

Last edited:
Former Suns academy player Jacob Dawson is this year's coaches player of the year whilst we're on the topic of awards

305747557_10159389732703178_7098276736862837247_n.jpg

the 22/23 year old is a clearance machine and wins almost half his football in contested situations. The 182cm could be given another shot

I was surprised we went with Kallan Dawson over Phillips in the MSD. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Phillips gets listed based on the lack of KP depth in this draft.

El Nour was stiff not to go in the MSD but hardly played in the 2nd half of the year so doubt he gets picked up in the draft.

Casey Voss can’t do much more to get his chance.
What size is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back