Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Yo I get that you Hawks fans are excited and some of you aren't deliberately trolling but... c'mon brehs, give it a rest.

For whatever reason the club didn't try that hard to keep him.
There has to be a reason why.

1. We don't have the cap space.

2. We need the money for something else.

If it's 1 then so be it. We lost COLA & have been expecting a bit of a cap squeeze after we got Bud & Tip. Thus far it hasn't seemed to happen & if this is the first real impact of those trades then so be it. We've been to 2 GFs since so not like we didn't have our chance to capitalise.

Surely we have cap room with the departure of Ted, Benny & Titch. So I'm hoping it's option 2. If so, then I'm excited to see what we have up our sleeve. It could be as outlandish as Fyfe or as simple as using those funds to lock up Jones, Heeney & JPK next year. Either way, this is what I'm thinking.

If it's 1 then so be it. We lost COLA & have been expecting a bit of a cap squeeze after we got Bud & Tip. Thus far it hasn't seemed to happen & if this is the first real impact of those trades then so be it. We've been to 2 GFs since so not like we didn't have our chance to capitalise.

Surely we have cap room with the departure of Ted, Benny & Titch. So I'm hoping it's option 2. If so, then I'm excited to see what we have up our sleeve. It could be as outlandish as Fyfe or as simple as using those funds to lock up Jones, Heeney & JPK next year. Either way, this is what I'm thinking.

Between Parker and Hanners Mitchell was the one that was expendable from the club POV, we have had our chances since 2012 to only come away with one flag must be utterly disappointing for the club and coaching staff.

Number 2: Fyfe next year.

Mitchell or Fyfe? I choose Fyfe. We will be fine next year, get the best we can from the tassie dorks and move on I say. Play hard ball with them too...

You would think if you had the room then this thread would be null and void. Besides, isn't Heeney only contracted for 2017? Alir might be the same?

Tom isnt worth more than 400-450k though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More poignant than anything.

He is quite limited to be honest.

I see your point but I think he can only do so much with the players he's dealing with. Our lack of speed is obvious, so he can't formulate an attacking game-plan like Adelaide or GWS. We have some strong contested mids, so he's based our game around that. The only issue is that in the GF we went up against the only side better in that area than us (and the Bulldogs had the extra speed we didn't). But Horse is really good at squeezing the best out of his players. I can only think of a few who have just dwindled in quality a la Ross Lyon's Dockers (Jetta, maybe Reid, maybe Tippett, maybe Cunningham)

14656327_1232266363460662_1860877013378426425_n.jpg

genuinely don't get the level of angst here. It's been obvious he was going forever and if we haven't planned for this I'd be absolutely shocked.

We made a choice to go for buddy and Tippett and they've actually been pretty good and we've gone close to grabbing a couple of flags. I don't mind the opportunity to look at some newish talent provided kinnear doesn't select some nuffie.

And you know we might grab a Blakekey because of the academy out of the hands of the lions and/or north.

genuinely don't get the level of angst here. It's been obvious he was going forever and if we haven't planned for this I'd be absolutely shocked.

We made a choice to go for buddy and Tippett and they've actually been pretty good and we've gone close to grabbing a couple of flags. I don't mind the opportunity to look at some newish talent provided kinnear doesn't select some nuffie.

And you know we might grab a Blakekey because of the academy out of the hands of the lions and/or north.

I think the secrecy from the club is killing a lot of us. I expected nothing different from the Swans but I'd like to know what direction the club is heading in with this Mitchell trade so I know whether to start drinking and mourning or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back