Training Pre-season Training 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to post this, but I had an interesting dream the other night where i saw the last few minutes of the 2017 AFL grand final. West Coast will defeat Richmond 54-49, with Sam Mitchell kicking a goal from the goal square to take the lead in the last minute.

You heard it here first
How much money are you willing to bet on this ?

Not sure where to post this, but I had an interesting dream the other night where i saw the last few minutes of the 2017 AFL grand final. West Coast will defeat Richmond 54-49, with Sam Mitchell kicking a goal from the goal square to take the lead in the last minute.

You heard it here first
Stopped reading at Richmond

Ok since it seems keys has gone AWOL and no one else is stepping up I made the call to head down for a bit, needed my footy fix. Took some notes, very interesting session, just ask for any more info.

- Gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2017. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
- Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
- Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
- There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- No sign of Cole, Parto or Hill. Couldn't tell you why.
- Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
- Duggan looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2017.
- Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
- A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
- Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.

So from memory normally from the time they start running till they get back playing afl is about 6 months? So hopefully sometime between round 16-18 for the flying fijian.
Forward pocket for 3 games whilst he gains match fitness. Bang X factor come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok since it seems keys has gone AWOL and no one else is stepping up I made the call to head down for a bit, needed my footy fix. Took some notes, very interesting session, just ask for any more info.

- Gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2017. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
- Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
- Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
- There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
- Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
- Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.
but-why.gif

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-01-09/naitanui-making-strides

West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui has ticked off a significant milestone by running for the first time since surgery to repair his ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

The 201cm big man completed some skips, short and sharp steps and jogged in a straight line for about 20m in encouraging signs on his long comeback trail.

Naitanui is aiming for a playing return late in the Eagles' 2017 campaign after damaging his left knee in round 22 last season against Hawthorn.

"As AFL footballers you want to be on the field running around, you don't want to be doing grinder, rower or bike or in the gym inside four walls, so I'm guessing he's going to be excited (to be running again)," senior assistant coach Justin Longmuir said.

"Not excited by the amount of running he's going to have to do over the next five months, but excited to get out and get on the grass.

"He's really diligent in all the stuff he does off the field and hopefully he keeps ticking off what he has to do and we can see him this year."

Meanwhile, No.2 ruckman Scott Lycett continued his strong progress from a PCL reconstruction as he ran around the boundary at Wembley Sports Park.

The Eagles are hopeful Lycett will be fit for the early rounds of 2017, but also brought in big man insurance in Drew Petrie and Nathan Vardy during the NAB AFL trade period.

"He's (Lycett) started doing a little bit more agility work … we won't rush him, we've got plenty of ruck stocks and over the trade and draft period we got some players in who can play that position," Longmuir said.

0e9d3233d74b07600721bb26670b36ffb72c121f8e92b3473b9ce33a3fbc7e97.jpg

I went to training this morning and there was lots to report.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do a report for you all, but I did find the time to make this post to rub in the fact that I was there and most of you weren't.

If you want to post your detailed short-hand of the session I can re-write into a training report structure.

I went to training this morning and there was lots to report.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do a report for you all, but I did find the time to make this post to rub in the fact that I was there and most of you weren't.

10 mins after your post and you are still "on line now"!!!! More than enough time to post a full f****** report a******e!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back