The Clayton Oliver Statistical Analysis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a shame that such a promising young footballer has now ruined his image and shown what a weak flogladite he is. Chin up Clayton, you handsome son of a bisnitch.
Pathetic. Oliver is not the bad guy here, yet everyone seems to think he is. One bloke struck another, yet the victim is being blamed.

Pathetic. Oliver is not the bad guy here, yet everyone seems to think he is. One bloke struck another, yet the victim is being blamed.

No one is blaming him for being struck. Just for diving. Then for coming out publicly and trying to show that he was hit harder than he actually was "it rocked me".

He wasn't rocked, he just dived like he did against the Roos.

Good outcome for justice and for common sense.

No one is blaming him for being struck. Just for diving. Then for coming out publicly and trying to show that he was hit harder than he actually was "it rocked me".

He also said he probably shouldn't have fallen over but it just happened. A quote that was used as evidence to get Schofield off.

Don't blame Oliver for the MRP's stupid decision, they're the ones that decided a 'sore jaw' was worth a suspension. Good this was sorted out at the tribunal.

He was rocked because of the time it occurred (after the siren) rather than the force of the contact. He had no obligation to expect an elbow at that time, and wasn't prepared for it. If he'd fallen to ground that easily during the quarter, I'd be more sympathetic to the rest of you saying he dived because he should have been expecting it and was possibly playing for a free.

The fact that he dropped at a time when he shouldn't have expected an elbow and where there was no possible reward for diving (as there would be during the quarter) tells me he was legitimately shocked and went to ground easier than he otherwise would have.

To me, the biggest factor telling me he didn't dive was the time the incident occurred: during the halftime break.

He also said he probably shouldn't have fallen over but it just happened. A quote that was used as evidence to get Schofield off.

Don't blame Oliver for the MRP's stupid decision, they're the ones that decided a 'sore jaw' was worth a suspension. Good this was sorted out at the tribunal.
Actually they couldn't use what Oliver said as evidence.

Melbourne posters are now saying stuff like "glad this is over". They were happy yesterday that Schofield was reported and potentially looking at 1 week or 2 if appeal was lost.
I'm disappointed, was all set to expand my shares in popcorn manufacturing.

He was rocked because of the time it occurred (after the siren) rather than the force of the contact. He had no obligation to expect an elbow at that time, and wasn't prepared for it. If he'd fallen to ground that easily during the quarter, I'd be more sympathetic to the rest of you saying he dived because he should have been expecting it and was possibly playing for a free.

The fact that he dropped at a time when he shouldn't have expected an elbow and where there was no possible reward for diving (as there would be during the quarter) tells me he was legitimately shocked and went to ground easier than he otherwise would have.

To me, the biggest factor telling me he didn't dive was the time the incident occurred: during the halftime break.

Was the Higgins dive at half time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It occurred during a melee and he was pushed by Schofield a second after Oliver pushed Shuey.

He was well aware of what to expect.

Melbourne posters are now saying stuff like "glad this is over". They were happy yesterday that Schofield was reported and potentially looking at 1 week or 2 if appeal was lost.
I'm more surprised that it was even an ordeal for them... Schofield was the one facing potentially 2 weeks on the sidelines, in a year where he has often found himself on the fringes. Oliver wasn't cited/investigated at all.

Schofield gets off, Oliver escapes with a slightly tarnished reputation. Move on.

During the melee, you can clearly hear a Melbourne player(s) asking the umpire to pay a free kick.

A melbourne supporter talking about inadequacy, that's hilarious. Isn't that what you've been for half a century?

Not one looks inwards more than Melbourne supporters. That's what being down the bottom does. It makes wins that little bit more special. The way you lot carry on, you really are just bitter. You're a bit like a gated community in The Walking Dead. You're so cut off from the rest of civilisation that when things don't go your way, you don't know how to react. Seriously, you lot carry on about Oliver. You lost the game. Get the heck over it.

During the melee, you can clearly hear a Melbourne player(s) asking the umpire to pay a free kick.
That was Christian Petracca, not Clayton Oliver. Should Clayton be blamed for something a teammate did? What Petracca did was the only thing I'm ashamed of as a Melbourne supporter in that whole incident.

A quote from Oliver was presented by David Grace QC though.

Weird if it can't be considered evidence by the tribunal though.

The tribunal explicitly said they wouldn't consider it. Nothing of what Oliver did helped Schofield, in fact his dive (yes, I am going with that term) almost saw Schofield spend two weeks on the sidelines.

It might be amusing for Melbourne fans and outsiders but for Eagles fans his dive almost saw him get the same penalty as Bachar Houli's act. Think about that for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back