Game Day GDT F.O.F Part one: A heaven and hell showdown Vs St. Kilda MCG @ 16:35 AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
1555678978658.png

1555679013496.png

1555679052100.png

1555679096358.png

1555679159940.png

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/5/melb-v-stk

Match preview: Melbourne v St Kilda

Where and when: MCG, Saturday April 20, 4.35pm
Last time they met
: MCG, round 15, 2018: Melbourne 18.9 (115) lost to St Kilda 18.11 (119)
The underwhelming performance marked Melbourne's third-straight loss, signalling doubts over Melbourne's finals credentials. The Saints produced their best four-quarter performance of the season, but almost let things slip in the last three minutes of the contest.
TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide
What it means for Melbourne:
Momentum. After three consecutive losses to begin the season, the Demons finally got back on the winners list against the Swans. They must continue that winning form to get their season back on track.
What it means for St Kilda: The Saints have surprised many after beginning the season with three wins from four games. Although Melbourne has been a team out of sorts, beating the Demons would be Alan Richardson's side's biggest scalp of the season.
How Melbourne wins: Like the second half against Sydney, get on top of the contested possession count and turn that midfield advantage into forward 50 entries. But it will also be important for the Dees to take their chances in front of a goal – a theme that worked against them in the first month of the season.
How St Kilda wins: Limit Melbourne's possession count and don't allow the Demons' midfielders to dictate terms. Move the ball with speed and give their forwards one-on-one opportunities against their opponents.

The stat: Clayton Oliver (18.3) and Angus Brayshaw (14.3) rank inside the top 10 in the AFL for contested possessions per game.
The match-up: Jack Steele v Clayton Oliver
Steele is likely to go head-to-head in a run-with role with Melbourne's premier inside midfielder. The Saint – 59th in the AFL Player Ratings – has been in good form to start 2019, averaging 23.5 disposals per game. Oliver, ranked fifth in Player Ratings, is averaging 32.3 touches per contest.
It's a big week for: Rowan Marshall
Marshall was excellent against Hawthorn's Ben McEvoy on Sunday, but the challenges keep coming with a match-up against Max Gawn and Braydon Preuss to come. Marshall will likely lose the hit-out count to Gawn, but his strength lies with his ability to motor around the ground and push forward when required.

Big call: Max Gawn to kick three goals, spending time up forward to stretch St Kilda's defence.
Prediction: Demons by 10 points

We need to keep winning to keep our season alive. Anything less is unacceptable

N.B. I know its going to be a draining game weather-wise. Win lose or draw I am anticipating changes with the short turnaround against the Tigers.
We need to focus on this game first OWAAT and all.

Also you know the drill about asking for Streams on GDTs. You have been warned.​

Last edited:

1-4 isn't season over. Essendon were 2-6 and missed the finals by a game. Sydney were 0-6 and made the finals. Having said that, 2-3 is where we were last season and things went ok, so let's try doing that again. We're going to need to play really well today, they've got their tails up and we don't. Very worried we'll come out, concede the first five goals, and play catch up all day.

1-4 isn't season over. Essendon were 2-6 and missed the finals by a game. Sydney were 0-6 and made the finals. Having said that, 2-3 is where we were last season and things went ok, so let's try doing that again. We're going to need to play really well today, they've got their tails up and we don't. Very worried we'll come out, concede the first five goals, and play catch up all day.
Sydney is a different beast though. Very different.

Sydney’s 2017 was the most ridiculous in season comeback of all time, let’s not pretend it is going to happen again anytime soon.

Sydney is a different beast though. Very different.
Is it possible we could just watch the side and express an appropriate amount of happiness/sadness when we win/lose without writing off the rest of the season? Just let it happen. If we end up at 1-5 then sure, let's go mad, but right now we're 1-3 and coming off a win.

Is it possible we could just watch the side and express an appropriate amount of happiness/sadness when we win/lose without writing off the rest of the season? Just let it happen. If we end up at 1-5 then sure, let's go mad, but right now we're 1-3 and coming off a win.
I think we will win today, but my assertion is that at 1-4 we are unlikely playing finals. I think today is the day we sort ourselves out.

I think we will win today, but my assertion is that at 1-4 we are unlikely playing finals. I think today is the day we sort ourselves out.
I never thought we'd make finals last year, let alone win two in prime time against teams that have played in September every year bar one or two since we were coached by Daniher. I'm worried about today, purely due to the fact that we've picked a slow team on a big ground against a team that likes scoring heavily against us. If Stretch had to come out for Lewis, I don't understand why we wouldn't bring in Garlett for Spargo and park him at Preuss' feet. Goodwin has definitely earned some grace due to last year, but some of his decisions puzzle me. He's ruthless with some players, and coddles others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never thought we'd make finals last year, let alone win two in prime time against teams that have played in September every year bar one or two since we were coached by Daniher. I'm worried about today, purely due to the fact that we've picked a slow team on a big ground against a team that likes scoring heavily against us. If Stretch had to come out for Lewis, I don't understand why we wouldn't bring in Garlett for Spargo and park him at Preuss' feet. Goodwin has definitely earned some grace due to last year, but some of his decisions puzzle me. He's ruthless with some players, and coddles others.
I am trying not to worry about lack of speed because I want to focus on the positives, but truth speak you....

I'm trying to remain positive but am almost certain the Saints will get up.

We're a slow team on a big field playing a quicker team in better form.
In 30 degree weather when we already struggle to run out games. St Kilda are s**t, but all the signs are there for another let down.

Good teams simply win this sort of match, no matter how ugly. I hope we are a good team 😣. Someone said it earlier, but it has an eerie feel to round 1. A 'should win' game on a warmish day vs a confident, quick and fit bogey team. Saints have always managed to play their best games vs us over the years. We turn Membrey into Wayne Carey almost every time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back