Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People only earning a few hundred shouldnt be getting $1500 so good on that bloke. Money doesnt grow on trees, thats an absolute rort if people are getting 1500 now on 300 previous earnings. We will have to pay for it

No, not good on him. It's not his call and not his money.

Did I hear right. USA is now no 1 in the Coronavirus power rankings?

Testing rankings. Still a way off on death count but that is gathering steam.

40,000 dead, by my maths that's 5%.

Confirmed cases. I know of at least 6 people who have had it and self isolated and they haven't been tested.

The number who have had it would be in the millions.

Just because they CAN be paid that doesnt mean they deserve or NEED to be paid that.
Ditto unemployed now getting $1500/fortnight.

1. It's going to be $1100 a fortnight, as of April 27.
2. Right now it is still $550 a fortnight.
3. Have you ANY ****ING IDEA what it takes to survive on $275 a week?

No. I bet you bloody don't.

Confirmed cases. I know of at least 6 people who have had it and self isolated and they haven't been tested.

The number who have had it would be in the millions.

Just based on the testing criteria I don't doubt that there are many positives out there who were never tested, but how can these people be certain they have/had it without being tested?

Agree 100%.

Business owners must be so frustrated right now with part timers ringing in demanding $750/wk.

Just because they CAN be paid that doesnt mean they deserve or NEED to be paid that.

Ditto unemployed now getting $1500/fortnight.

It should be kept at the same amount, but up to a maximum of $1500/fortnight who've lost their job in the past month (and can prove their pay rates).

Theyre bizzare payouts to make by the gov in uncertain times.. almost as bad Rudds $1000 payout to everyone a decade ago.

But I guess all of that takes a huge amount of assessment on a case by case basis which I very much doubt anyone has the time or patience for.

Still seems like a pointless waste of funds to pay employees more than what they were getting previously.

Your 2nd last paragraph nails it I think.

Remember when they said it was on casual workers to have saved up a nest egg to fall back on if they were put out of work.

I know some business owners who fully agreed with that stance. Now? Not so much. Funny how much of this pandemic has brought out that self-interest is the overriding feature of human beings.

Can work from home and not lose your job - CLOSE THE BORDERS SCOMO!!
Can't work from home and might lose your job - THIS IS SUCH AN OVERREACTION!!

This is just an observation and something I analyse when I talk to people about the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When travel restrictions are eventually lifted I don't think I'll be in a rush to jump on a plane.

There are going to be plenty of rusty pilots getting back into cockpits...
I was talking to a pilot and he said that this will be one of the biggest obstacles to getting planes flying again.

When pilots take a long break they require a certain number of sim hours before they’re allowed to resume commercial flying.

Unfortunately simulators are expensive so airlines don’t keep a surplus of them, and the system isn’t really set up for 100% of pilots coming back from leave at the same time. There will likely be a huge bottleneck getting pilots re-certified that will take weeks or months to clear.

Remember when they said it was on casual workers to have saved up a nest egg to fall back on if they were put out of work.

I know some business owners who fully agreed with that stance. Now? Not so much. Funny how much of this pandemic has brought out that self-interest is the overriding feature of human beings.

This is just an observation and something I analyse when I talk to people about the situation.

I note that I have not come across friends (older) who hold the opinion that "i didnt use soap or sanitisers when i was young, didn't hurt me" of late.

I was talking to a pilot and he said that this will be one of the biggest obstacles to getting planes flying again.

When pilots take a long break they require a certain number of sim hours before they’re allowed to resume commercial flying.

Unfortunately simulators are expensive so airlines don’t keep a surplus of them, and the system isn’t really set up for 100% of pilots coming back from leave at the same time. There will likely be a huge bottleneck getting pilots re-certified that will take weeks or months to clear.

I was wondering whether planes are “perishable” as well, so can you leave a plane idle for a year and then just fire it back up again? There must be maintenance and things done of course but do planes need to fly to stay in good nick?

I was wondering whether planes are “perishable” as well, so can you leave a plane idle for a year and then just fire it back up again? There must be maintenance and things done of course but do planes need to fly to stay in good nick?

Depends, is plan maintenance considered an essential service?

I would say theyd keep all the planes concentrated at certain airports to continue maintenaince.
If that entails taking it for the occasional spin to blow the cobwebs out im sure theres no shortage of pilots prepared to continue working and do that.

Exactly thou in most cases the calls for shutdown where when people thought it would be 2 weeks and the thing had exploded. (Getting 2 weeks of Netflix).

Even the spending has gone early. Lets say these measures work and we resume mid April. Essentially that is 4-6 weeks off. If that can curtail the economy we have far bigger issues.

51 new cases in Victoria, well down from 96 yesterday and more in line with the past week.

The plan to get 4000 extra ICU beds in Victoria, when currently 6 are in ICU, makes me confident we won't get to Italy levels.

51 new cases in Victoria, well down from 96 yesterday and more in line with the past week.

The plan to get 4000 extra ICU beds in Victoria, when currently 6 are in ICU, makes me confident we won't get to Italy levels.

Excellent news.

The biggest worry unfortunately is NSW which is still piling on the cases (but thankfully not at an exponential rate).

Provided maintenance is done and the components aren't rusted and fully prepped you'd think so. Not like the planes pulled a hammy and needs a warm up.

Big thing will be clearing any back log (e.g. I got a voucher so could technically cash that in + those already planned for when airlines re open) and the viability of airlines themselves. Airlines operate on thin margins now a days but also will pull flights/passengers if a flight is not viable. I see major changes.

A lot of routes will be gone/scaled back. Cheap travel is over for a while.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back