Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US has 100,000 to 240,00 listed as a goal of mitigation

When they are talking about 100k+ dying if their measures work, you gotta hope they work because otherwise....

51 new cases in Victoria, well down from 96 yesterday and more in line with the past week.

The plan to get 4000 extra ICU beds in Victoria, when currently 6 are in ICU, makes me confident we won't get to Italy levels.
Aside from the 111 on Saturday.

Depends, is plan maintenance considered an essential service?

Not sure, if it's required to make sure a plane doesn't get binned maybe it is.

I would say theyd keep all the planes concentrated at certain airports to continue maintenaince.
If that entails taking it for the occasional spin to blow the cobwebs out im sure theres no shortage of pilots prepared to continue working and do that.

Yeah true enough, i guess the maintenance costs money and without any coming in it might be hard to afford.

I was talking to a pilot and he said that this will be one of the biggest obstacles to getting planes flying again.

When pilots take a long break they require a certain number of sim hours before they’re allowed to resume commercial flying.

Unfortunately simulators are expensive so airlines don’t keep a surplus of them, and the system isn’t really set up for 100% of pilots coming back from leave at the same time. There will likely be a huge bottleneck getting pilots re-certified that will take weeks or months to clear.
Just give them all a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Not sure, if it's required to make sure a plane doesn't get binned maybe it is.

Yeah true enough, i guess the maintenance costs money and without any coming in it might be hard to afford.
Just give them all a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Sounds stupid but bare with me. Will they be made to do what commercial pilots do in light planes and take it out on your own. As in you want the 747 Melbourne to Sydney route that's fine but take it for a few laps of the holding pattern route and land it. Just to make sure you're on your game.

Sounds stupid but bare with me. Will they be made to do what commercial pilots do in light planes and take it out on your own. As in you want the 747 Melbourne to Sydney route that's fine but take it for a few laps of the holding pattern route and land it. Just to make sure you're on your game.

I don't think that's stupid at all, and I'm sure it's something they'd do for sure.

On a side note I had a go at a flight sim once, my job used to provide back up power systems for these things, good fun (I crashed).

'Co-habitation...'

U91jbCY_d.jpg

I don't think that's stupid at all, and I'm sure it's something they'd do for sure.

On a side note I had a go at a flight sim once, my job used to provide back up power systems for these things, good fun (I crashed).
Probably a decent idea but when they've just lost billions of dollars I don't think they'll be wasting the money on fuel.

51 new cases in Victoria, well down from 96 yesterday and more in line with the past week.

The plan to get 4000 extra ICU beds in Victoria, when currently 6 are in ICU, makes me confident we won't get to Italy levels.
No one in their right mind could have ever thought we'd reach Italy levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Australia
As at 6:00am on 1 April 2020, there have been 4,707 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 348 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.

Numbers of new cases seems to be slowing but alot of that is probably directly linked with lesser intake of international travellers.

Positive none the less, but the next problem is going to be what next?

The current plan relies on a certain level of community transmission so we get a herd immunity over a 3-6month period.

Too slow and we'll never be able to exit from the current restrictions. Release the brakes off too much and local transmission spikes... a tough act to balance.

Or on the flip side if the data begins to show local transmission is negligible we may be in a good position to attempt a total lockdown NZ style and eradicate the virus entirely?

Then just maintain all travel and state border restrictions to stop it getting out again.

Numbers of new cases seems to be slowing but alot of that is probably directly linked with lesser intake of international travellers.

The current plan relies on a certain level of community transmission so we get a herd immunity over a 3-6month period.

Too slow and we'll never be able to exit from the current restrictions. Release the brakes off too much and local transmission spikes... a tough act to balance.

Or on the flip side if the data begins to show local transmission is negligible we may be in a good position to attempt a total lockdown NZ style and eradicate the virus entirely?

Then just maintain all travel and state border restrictions to stop it getting out again.

This article about WA may answer your queries about a total lockdown:

The problem is eradication could be just as harmful (both economically and social health-wise). Sure, a state like Tasmania and WA may be in a position to push for full eradication, but then they would still have to wait for the others to catch up before any kind of travel is safe. Controlled herd immunity is probably the only sensible way to push through this pandemic with some semblance of an economy and avoiding people dying when they could have been saved had the hospitals not been short-staffed, lacked equipment or didn't have a bed available.

I don't want to be pessimistic because I think aside from the Ruby Princess debacle we're doing okay but community transmissions are up 39% according to the ABC, while we might have imported cases contained now we can't afford to relax yet imo.
Due to limited tests we haven't been measuring community transmission at all, so I don't think you can interpret rising community transmission as it actually increasing in rate yet. A rapid increase could simply be due to testing catching up to the actual number.

It doesn't need to be eradicated to get back to normal though. As long as it's manageable, to a point hospitals aren't overrun & won't be overrun with a sudden spike in cases (within reason), life can resume. Even when we have a vaccine it won't be eradicated so that can't be the goal to get us out of lockdown

Once we're at a point the health sector can handle it, we should be out the woods.

How does effective herd immunity work? I thought it only worked if 60% of people got it. That would take centuries in Victoria with the current population and daily spikes.

How does effective herd immunity work? I thought it only worked if 60% of people got it. That would take centuries in Victoria with the current population and daily spikes.
Do we need herd immunity when the % of people dying from CV (with NO underlying health issues like cancer, heart disease etc) is under 1%?

We basically have it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back