Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo's last contract has been equally poor for games return, but fans like him and accept he's doing what he can for the club.
Hanners isn't afforded the same good faith for reasons l can't understand..
They’re very different circumstances. Robbo was given the contract when in career best form. Hannebery already looked cooked and Sydney needed to salary dump.

Robbo's last contract has been equally poor for games return, but fans like him and accept he's doing what he can for the club.
You don’t see any difference in a player fit and healthy being rewarded with a contract then being struck down by a freak medical condition and Hannebery.

Hannebery was a great player for the swans whose best football was well behind him and who’s body was shot. Whoever signed off on his deal owes the club big time imo. I like Hannebery but his deal was ridiculous and attempts to paint it as a recruiting coup etc are feeble imo.

Last edited:

The question over Hanners' value comes down to one single post from one of our training watchers.

Hanners is sitting on the bench watching the squad do a drill.
At the end of the drill session, the players and assistant coaches are all high 5-ing and back slapping each other, at which point Hanners gets off the bench and gives it to the whole group (coaches included), informing them in a no bones manner that what they just did was absolute rubbish.
After the dressing down, the group re does the drill Hanners' way, which apparently is the right way.

It pays to remember that at one point in time our only player with finals experience was Nate Brown. We also had, under the Richo regime, the same bunch of assistants that had worked with RTB, and of course, we had Richo.

What Lethers did by getting Hanners, is insert a prize winning pit-bull into a bunch of nervous insular little muma's boys, who through no fault of their own, didn't know their ****holes from their elbows when it came to "high performance"

In the pre Ratts era, Hanners' first year, I have little doubt that he was the only person in the footy department, seemingly apart from Lethers, that knew about something called standards and mindset. And that is why we went and got him.

In terms of our list rebuild, the cornerstone is obviously Lethers, but the next stone was Hanners. He was the guy driving standards of performance when there was no one else.
His effect on the group when he came back late last season was clear and obvious to all, and he played an important part in out 2 finals.

Our football department and list had become a bunch of pussies who were full of sh1t. Enter Dan Hannebery

Give this dude the Big Footy equivalent of the Pulitzer prize. Make it happen.

No. The Boyd deal was an absolute shocker too. People carry on as though he was the only player out there in that grand final!
I have a D1ckhead dogs supporter that works for me and the dumb bastard will say it was a good deal because he won them the flag , but i guess its no different on here how some will support certain players until the cows come home , the old saying ,,, Forest from the trees

Boyd was the most important player on the ground in that gf. Continually turned the play to the Dogs' advantage in key moments. Should have won the Norm Smith ahead of that half back shanker.

They’re very different circumstances. Robbo was given the contract when in career best form. Hannebery already looked cooked and Sydney needed to salary dump.

Worth noting too, we had a so called "warchest" but couldn't attract anyone to the club.
If the choice is bringing a busted up Hannebery as a salary dump for Sydney or paying worthless spuds overs just to meet the minimum required cap I'm taking Hannebery all day every day.
Almost nobody from the 2017/2018 era deserved a payrise.

Worth noting too, we had a so called "warchest" but couldn't attract anyone to the club.
If the choice is bringing a busted up Hannebery as a salary dump for Sydney or paying worthless spuds overs just to meet the minimum required cap I'm taking Hannebery all day every day.
Almost nobody from the 2017/2018 era deserved a payrise.

even the billings pay jump probs wasnt justified and we ended up paying a bit overs. probably how mckenzie ends up getting another 2-3 years.

The Robbo contract was a shocker too, as was Armo’s. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You don’t see any difference in a player fit and healthy being rewarded with a contract then being struck down by a freak medical condition and Hannebery.

Hannebery was a great player for the swans whose best football was well behind him and who’s body was shot. Whoever signed off on his deal owes the club big time imo. I like Hannebery but his deal was ridiculous and attempts to paint in as a recruiting coup etc are feeble imo.
Yes, the deal was significantly inappropriate, l have no problem saying that.
However the reality of the time is that we were overpaying spuds just to make minimum spend.
The 5 or so percent that is unused accrues and if not used in 3 years becomes defunct.
I dare say that we would have had at least $1M available under that scheme with nowhere for it to go.
And l dare say that old mate's deal was front loaded up the wazoo, putting him on not that much for years 3 and 4.

The simple fact is that all said and done, his contract has cost us very little in real terms, and we snapped up Bytel with the change from the trade.
If Hanners has contributed even %1 to what we hope is a premiership side, then he's worth every cent.

Fixating on his contract value V's games played is completely missing the point.

Stkilda FC was in the mother of all rutts and Hanners is some part of the machine that has allowed us to again shoot for the stars.

In my view he's served his real purpose. I don't care that he's injured because look what Mr Sinclair has managed to become, and look what Mr Bytel is about to become.

.Rising Star award
.AFLCA player of the year
.3x All Australian
.Premiership player

Thats more accolades than the combined total from the rest of our list when he joined Stkilda.
I cannot understand why people can't see that bringing him over was beneficial beyond his games played, and in CONTEXT it's cost us next to **** all.

Yes, the deal was significantly inappropriate, l have no problem saying that.
However the reality of the time is that we were overpaying spuds just to make minimum spend.
The 5 or so percent that is unused accrues and if not used in 3 years becomes defunct.
I dare say that we would have had at least $1M available under that scheme with nowhere for it to go.
And l dare say that old mate's deal was front loaded up the wazoo, putting him on not that much for years 3 and 4.

The simple fact is that all said and done, his contract has cost us very little in real terms, and we snapped up Bytel with the change from the trade.
If Hanners has contributed even %1 to what we hope is a premiership side, then he's worth every cent.

Fixating on his contract value V's games played is completely missing the point.

Stkilda FC was in the mother of all rutts and Hanners is some part of the machine that has allowed us to again shoot for the stars.

In my view he's served his real purpose. I don't care that he's injured because look what Mr Sinclair has managed to become, and look what Mr Bytel is about to become.

.Rising Star award
.AFLCA player of the year
.3x All Australian
.Premiership player

Thats more accolades than the combined total from the rest of our list when he joined Stkilda.
I cannot understand why people can't see that bringing him over was beneficial beyond his games played, and in CONTEXT it's cost us next to **** all.

I don't know why people think it's one or the other. It's just a thing that happened. It didn't work out but part of moving forward is taking a few risks. That was one that flopped. Some like finding Marshall as a rookie were the opposite where nothing much was risked but the pay off was huge. Overall the list strategy under Lethlean and Libba has been pretty hard to fault from where we were under Trout and Richo.

9 out of 22 players that played in last years final against the Giants were in our 2018 round one side that beat the Lions. That's huge to turn that many over in 2 years and still be a finals side. Our best players in our round one game in 2018 were Blake Acres 30 possessions and a goal, Jack Steven 34 possessions and 2 goals, Ross, Newnes and Koby Stevens. Bruce and Gresh our leading goals scorers with 3 each. Brown and Armo were still going around.

Geary, Billings, Ross, Hunter Clark, Steele, Sinclair, Long, Carlisle and Membrey were the players who played in both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hanner's may be broken, but it speaks volumes that we needed a broken part to help fix the St.Kilda machine. I like to think we got the broken part with a fantastic users manual.

Or a mystical spirit guide that has bewitched that broken machine anyway. Sounds like a psychedelic sitcom that would write it's self. An ailing factory buys some old run down machine and it's revealed that a mentoring spirit guide gives the aimless drifters some direction. Turns out mass-produced iPhones by the millions and the former drifters learn to do lines and find a dentist who does gold teeth grills only for the machine to teach them that true value isn't money but human connection after all.

Hannebury deserves a bust or is a bust? I'll tell you when he signs off his career for us.

I'll say one thing though thank F the pre-season is nearly done. Talking about players earnings has to be one of the least interesting aspects of football supporting.

Or a mystical spirit guide that has bewitched that broken machine anyway. Sounds like a psychedelic sitcom that would write it's self. An ailing factory buys some old run down machine and it's revealed that a mentoring spirit guide gives the aimless drifters some direction. Turns out mass-produced iPhones by the millions and the former drifters learn to do lines and find a dentist who does gold teeth grills only for the machine to teach them that true value isn't money but human connection after all.

The simpsons already did it
images.jpeg-115.jpg

Yeah but why the (soft) hate at Hanners?
If we can accept that Robbo has effectively been an assistant coach paid from the SC, then why isn't Hanners afforded that respect when it's very obviously true?

It's just double standards from a few people.

The money (SC) side of it is utterly irrelevant, and we've actually got more games from Hanners than Robbo in the same timeframe. So what gives?

Yeah but why the (soft) hate at Hanners?
If we can accept that Robbo has effectively been an assistant coach paid from the SC, then why isn't Hanners afforded that respect when it's very obviously true?

It's just double standards from a few people.

The money (SC) side of it is utterly irrelevant, and we've actually got more games from Hanners than Robbo in the same timeframe. So what gives?
There's certainly no hate for Hanners from me. I've enjoyed watching his games for us and hope he has some more big finals to come.

In terms of the frustration from supporters, I don't think it is intended to be directed at Hannebery himself, but rather the decision making process by the club to bring him in. No one has any frustration with the club over Roberton because it was such a random and unlucky turn of events that derailed his career. Hannebery on the other hand, is seen by some as a risk that could have been forseen.

There's certainly no hate for Hanners from me. I've enjoyed watching his games for us and hope he has some more big finals to come.

In terms of the frustration from supporters, I don't think it is intended to be directed at Hannebery himself, but rather the decision making process by the club to bring him in. No one has any frustration with the club over Roberton because it was such a random and unlucky turn of events that derailed his career. Hannebery on the other hand, is seen by some as a risk that could have been forseen.
I think some posters are just careless with their expression on the subject.
Personally l reckon Dan's doing a great job staying injured to help Byrnes through.
And didn't Bytel recently talk about his bond with Dan that formed in "rehab"?

My belief as mentioned a page back, is that we had $1M+ of SC credits that had to go somewhere. Sure we wanted a player, but
we bought an assistant coach instead.
Either way, it's working.

No. The Boyd deal was an absolute shocker too. People carry on as though he was the only player out there in that grand final!
True.. But do they win without him playing? Who knows, He had more impact than Ryan Griffen though.

Im not lost on the Hanners deal yet. He’s proven to be very valuable off field to the younger guys, when we lacked leadership. Played a very good role in the final against doggies last year too I thought. Obviously we’d have loved to have him play more, but we had to pay money to someone and he was the only real high profile willing to come at the time. We also didn’t give up much picks wise so I’m not phased with that either.

To say it’s a horrible trade with 2 seasons left on his deal is absolutely jumping the gun. If he doesn’t play another game then I’d say it was probably a bad trade, But I’m gonna wait and see before I make that call.

I have sent your quote to myself on various messaging platforms. We now own the rights to your ideas, and my reply to you is legally binding as a contract. All you other f*ckers on here back off...it's ours. Production begins Monday...I've got Cillian Murphy to play Hanner's...I think he's role in Peaky Blinders will work well with the narrative.

Last edited:
I think some posters are just careless with their expression on the subject.
Personally l reckon Dan's doing a great job staying injured to help Byrnes through.
And didn't Bytel recently talk about his bond with Dan that formed in "rehab"?

My belief as mentioned a page back, is that we had $1M+ of SC credits that had to go somewhere. Sure we wanted a player, but
we bought an assistant coach instead.
Either way, it's working.
Yep - much better than if we spent it on overpaying existing under performing players or worse still - gave it back to the AFL.

I always find these discussions amusing in that people are quick to make one part of the argument ie "Hanners is a bust" without ever having to explain what should have happened.

Only other gun midfield options available in 2018 that we could have used the money on would have been Lachie Neale or Dylan Shiel - slight problem with that though - we wouldn't have got Max King.

Ahh now I see why the hindsight "Hanners is a bust" option is so much easier!!!

Yep - much better than if we spent it on overpaying existing under performing players or worse still - gave it back to the AFL.

I always find these discussions amusing in that people are quick to make one part of the argument ie "Hanners is a bust" without ever having to explain what should have happened.

Only other gun midfield options available in 2018 that we could have used the money on would have been Lachie Neale or Dylan Shiel - slight problem with that though - we wouldn't have got Max King.

Ahh now I see why the hindsight "Hanners is a bust" option is so much easier!!!

At the time I was incredibly upset that he chose the Bombers but in hindsight I’m extremely happy Shiel did. Have not rated him at all the last two years.

True.. But do they win without him playing? Who knows, He had more impact than Ryan Griffen though.

Im not lost on the Hanners deal yet. He’s proven to be very valuable off field to the younger guys, when we lacked leadership. Played a very good role in the final against doggies last year too I thought. Obviously we’d have loved to have him play more, but we had to pay money to someone and he was the only real high profile willing to come at the time. We also didn’t give up much picks wise so I’m not phased with that either.

To say it’s a horrible trade with 2 seasons left on his deal is absolutely jumping the gun. If he doesn’t play another game then I’d say it was probably a bad trade, But I’m gonna wait and see before I make that call.

If you are looking from the outside playing 4 games a year on a huge wage is a bust. It's been less horrible because of some positive things he's brought but objectively it's a bust. If he can play great finals footy and we win a flag that obviously makes up for a huge amount of the disappointment but overall if someone told you we'd take Bontempelli or Merrett and he'd play 4 games a year and a receive a star wage you'd have to turn it down.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back