Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Essendon. Mon 25/04, 3:20pm MCG (ANZAC Day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your interpretation of “kids” is too narrow. A broader assessment of the team is that we’re playing 10 or 11 players with QUOTE]

Madgen isn’t a kid. He’s 28 and not taking us forward.

I feel like my points been lost. My opinion, and clearly I am on my own, is that when clubs say they’re playing the kids then it’s your North style of side. I don’t think we’re doing that and so I disagree when people say we’re young and developing. The only part of the ground where I do think we’re playing the kids is the forward line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you play someone based on a single demographic rather than when they’re ready as demonstrated by VFL form?

Single demographic being age?

I’m not. I’m also basing it on the fact that the older players I mentioned are ones I don’t think are taking us forward and the younger players would break even with them now but have the potential, with experience, to make us better.

I think your interpretation of “kids” is too narrow. A broader assessment of the team is that we’re playing 10 or 11 players with <50 games. Just that some of them (Cameron, Noble, Madgen, and Kreuger for example) are more mature. That doesn’t mitigate their inexperience.

Plus others like Bianco Henry Wilson etc have also played senior games this year and will get more chances, as will macrae and poulter etc. We couldn’t possibly “ play the kids” at a faster rate than we already are but some people will still demand it.

Plus others like Bianco Henry Wilson etc have also played senior games this year and will get more chances, as will macrae and poulter etc. We couldn’t possibly “ play the kids” at a faster rate than we already are but some people will still demand it.

For the record, I’m not necessarily demanding we play them at a faster rate but we absolutely could should that be what we wanted to do. Kelly could play before Madgen, Macrae could play before Cal Brown and one of Wilson or Henry would play before WHE.

If we were absolutely playing the kids we wouldn’t have seen Madgen, Cox or WHe on a regular basis. You can’t tell me WHE is demanding a best 22 spot every week.

All I’m saying is that when people state we’re playing the kids and it’s a development year I don’t think that’s actually true. We’re going with a hybrid model where we have some youth and inexperience but on the whole our side is still fairly experienced. As I said earlier the forward line is maybe the spot where we’re not but even then we’ve played Elliott, WHE, Mihocek and Cox some weeks so it hasn’t been totally green.

For the record, I’m not necessarily demanding we play them at a faster rate but we absolutely could should that be what we wanted to do. Kelly could play before Madgen, Macrae could play before Cal Brown and one of Wilson or Henry would play before WHE.

If we were absolutely playing the kids we wouldn’t have seen Madgen, Cox or WHe on a regular basis. You can’t tell me WHE is demanding a best 22 spot every week.

All I’m saying is that when people state we’re playing the kids and it’s a development year I don’t think that’s actually true. We’re going with a hybrid model where we have some youth and inexperience but on the whole our side is still fairly experienced. As I said earlier the forward line is maybe the spot where we’re not but even then we’ve played Elliott, WHE, Mihocek and Cox some weeks so it hasn’t been totally green.

We select the team to win the game.
It’s the Collingwood way.

Then you ARE demanding them to be played at a faster rate. That’s fine, no need to back down on your views…. Own them.

WHE is best 22 and Madgen is our best defensive depth option. That may change over the course of the year as more kids ( we already have plenty in our best 22) demand selection.

We select the team to win the game.
It’s the Collingwood way.

We’ll at least seek greater balance in terms of marrying potential to win with providing opportunity. Loading up the team unnecessarily with kids and getting flogged does nothing in terms of development IMHO.

WHE is best 22 and Madgen is our best defensive depth option. That may change over the course of the year as more kids ( we already have plenty in our best 22) demand selection.

I think this is probably the key. Madgen as I said is there currently due to Roughead and Dean being out.

I don’t see what WHE is bringing to the table for him to be best 22 so my hope is players push past him throughout the year.

And just to repeat what I’ve said consistently I don’t think we’ve lost games this year because we’re young and developing like others have stated. I think we’ve lost games due to learning the new game plan and that we haven’t got the depth to cover key players that have missed games.

Crazy strategy
I think this is probably the key. Madgen as I said is there currently due to Roughead and Dean being out.

I don’t see what WHE is bringing to the table for him to be best 22 so my hope is players push past him throughout the year.

And just to repeat what I’ve said consistently I don’t think we’ve lost games this year because we’re young and developing like others have stated. I think we’ve lost games due to learning the new game plan and that we haven’t got the depth to cover key players that have missed games.

Fairy enough.... I have not offered an opinion one way or the other why we have lost games. It’s a bit of this and a bit of that. Mostly it’s because when the final siren went our opponents had a higher score than us!!!!

As for lack of depth we are definitely in a state of transition and that’s why we are getting games into the kids.. to fast track the improvement in depth . That we are pretty much at full capacity with Elliott probabl our most important out, daylight then to Roughead. So depth not really tested yet.

Fairy enough.... I have not offered an opinion one way or the other why we have lost games. It’s a bit of this and a bit of that. Mostly it’s because when the final siren went our opponents had a higher score than us!!!!

As for lack of depth we are definitely in a state of transition and that’s why we are getting games into the kids.. to fast track the improvement in depth . That we are pretty much at full capacity with Elliott probabl our most important out, daylight then to Roughead. So depth not really tested yet.

I think Roughy out tomorrow is the more significant out as he would have played on Wright, who I think is the only one capable of kicking them to a winning score. Elliott is a loss no doubt but I still think we’re capable of kicking a score with Mihocek, McCreery and Ginnivan back in this week.

The depth comes through when we lost Adams and DeGoey for the WC game along with Kreuger and McCreery missing.

Then the next week missing Mihocek, McCreery and Ginnivan was costly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Roughy out tomorrow is the more significant out as he would have played on Wright, who I think is the only one capable of kicking them to a winning score. Elliott is a loss no doubt but I still think we’re capable of kicking a score with Mihocek, McCreery and Ginnivan back in this week.

The depth comes through when we lost Adams and DeGoey for the WC game along with Kreuger and McCreery missing.

Then the next week missing Mihocek, McCreery and Ginnivan was costly.

Missing players for a game here and there just goes with the territory. It happens. Bottom line we only have one long term key injury. There’s a massive assumption around here that mcreery and Ginnivan can instantly make us better. Not exactly true, they are young and will have ups and downs. Elliott is a huge loss but fortunately he’s at this stage our only loss.

I am going to be genuinely and pleasantly surprised and happy if we win this one tomorrow

I have seen this movie before and I just think the torrent of abuse the Bombres have received this week will see them respond tomorrow and get the win.
No doubt the 3 umpires will be cheering them home and the tv commentary will be sickenly pro Essendon

Last edited:

Kelly doesn’t deserve to be promoted. He’s lacks intensity effort and focus.
Until he fixes those simple issues he stays in the VFL in my view.
He has all the necessary athleticism but needs to get his priorities straight - I hope the penny drops soon because he has huge potential.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back