Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Essendon. Mon 25/04, 3:20pm MCG (ANZAC Day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Henry and Wilson have both been getting games!!! Henry was dropped basically for McInnes and Wilson has gone out for Ginnivan and mccreery. C brown has only played one full game from memory plus another as sub. T brown is still a kid/ development player himself.

I think your argument really is at the fringes as to whether or not WHE should be dropped for poulter/maccrae who both were poor in the preseason.
Tyler Brown is in his 5th year. He’s not a kid anymore and has shown little to suggest that he’s AFL quality. There’s only so long you can use that excuse for a player until it becomes redundant, and in Tyler’s case, it has.

Tyler Brown is in his 5th year. He’s not a kid anymore and has shown little to suggest that he’s AFL quality. There’s only so long you can use that excuse for a player until it becomes redundant, and in Tyler’s case, it has.

Maybe so but two of those years including last year he had long term injuries (plus the well known lack of vfl development due to Covid ) so I’m not opposed to the fact that he was given some early games, especially with a new coaching panel who have arrived with a clean slate. Whether he gets further opportunities later in the year or remains listed next year is up to him. He’s still only 22 (and 4 months) as he was bottom aged when drafted.

Last edited:
To me, Tyler goes at the end of the year. I don't want to sound brutal but the truth is, every year we say it will be his year. He's never looked good at AFL level. We can't keep justifying him because he'll be a star. At 23 your body is developed. 24-27 is your peak. He's almost there but, compared to other 23 year olds, he's a whodat star. 2017 was a bust. Big time.

What's the point of tanking? We get a better draft pick to enter a lottery? I think that Melbourne are proof of why tanking is a poor choice, regardless of their premiership in 2021. Take that out and they've had a hopeless patch since 2009 when they got Pick 1 Tom Scully, Pick 2 Jack Trengove. Both the best available players but at Pick 3, Dustin Martin was there. Injuries ultimately cruelled the first two but tanking wasn't really worth it. What was worth it was cleverly recruiting underrated/cheap/free players like Ben Brown and shrewdly drafting Kozzie Pickett among others. Granted Luke Jackson at 3 was a massive assistance but one player does not win you a title.

What we really need is a strong year of recruiting come November. I'm talking 2x first rounders, cheap pickup, acquisition to replace JDG if he leaves. Because if JDG leaves and we secure another FA who doesn't have numerous brain farts for the money we pay him, our club could turn around very quickly. Hopefully, if he were to leave, he'd accept $1 mil+ from Essendon, giving us a considerably high draft pick.
My post was tongue in cheek - tanks very much

But Henry and Wilson have both been getting games!!! Henry was dropped basically for McInnes and Wilson has gone out for Ginnivan and mccreery. C brown has only played one full game from memory plus another as sub. T brown is still a kid/ development player himself.

I think your argument really is at the fringes as to whether or not WHE should be dropped for poulter/maccrae who both were poor in the preseason.

You’re right. My argument is at the fringe but that’s where the play the kids part comes in.

I’m sure we would have played Dean in front of Madgen if he was fit but when he wasn’t if we were playing the kids we would have gotten Kelly in by now.

My argument is that bottom 6. I don’t think we improve much by playing Madgen, WHE, Cox and the Brown’s instead of Kelly, Poulter, Wilson, Macrae etc. if we were playing the kids then my expectations would be that they’d be preferred.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I tend to agree. We were talking in the Lippa thread about how blokes aren't finished products at 23, but on the other hand, they have to have shown something by that age!

Ahhh, but remember a high draft pick still carries risk. Collingwood isn't that far out of the eight. Why not try and win a few games until our bye, see where we are. If we're sucking horribly, tank with a youth-first policy. If we're winning big, let's go for finals. Become a destination club when our veterans leave.
Always try and win regardless. Want to build a winning culture and mindset

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With McCreery and Ginnivan back this week there are a couple more kids in the team although they are both best 22 at the moment, however we’re really not getting the games into the kids and have been putting fairly mature sides out.

The learning of the new game plan is spot on though.

I think your interpretation of “kids” is too narrow. A broader assessment of the team is that we’re playing 10 or 11 players with <50 games. Just that some of them (Cameron, Noble, Madgen, and Kreuger for example) are more mature. That doesn’t mitigate their inexperience.

You’re right. My argument is at the fringe but that’s where the play the kids part comes in.

I’m sure we would have played Dean in front of Madgen if he was fit but when he wasn’t if we were playing the kids we would have gotten Kelly in by now.

My argument is that bottom 6. I don’t think we improve much by playing Madgen, WHE, Cox and the Brown’s instead of Kelly, Poulter, Wilson, Macrae etc. if we were playing the kids then my expectations would be that they’d be preferred.

Why would you play someone based on a single demographic factor rather than when they’re ready as demonstrated by VFL form?

Last edited:
He was good in 1970 and actually was a great back pocket until he did his ACL v Carlton at Princes Park in 1973 and retired.
Good write up Greg.
My dad was at that game and often spoke about it.

Probably better play a Full Game in the VFL then Might not even play at AFL Level
Good point TD.
I reckon C Brown will be sub and will get game time.

Yeah nah. Kelly has been widely criticised for a poor start to his vfl seasoning …. Bearing in mind he’s also learning a new role. With Roughead out and Dean unavailable and the rest of our talls young and skinny, Madgen has been the right depth choice to play in defence.

nobody has knocked to door down to push WHE out of the 22 yet. It may happen in time but the VFL kids need to keep working on their form and consistency.

Cox and the Browns have only played two games each so far ( some as sub) so it’s not as if they are keeping others out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back