Preview Sydney vs GWS - Who are the 5 most hated players in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've floated a way to get JPK into the 22 against North next week, as a mid, by giving someone in that top 4 a rest or to play up forward.

Comepletely disagree with this. Just cuz its North, we shouldn't be finding a way to gift someone a game if they aren't in our best 22. We might be able to afford to drop 1 and still make top 4, we also might not be able to. And I don't think we should be flirting with that.

Comepletely disagree with this. Just cuz its North, we shouldn't be finding a way to gift someone a game if they aren't in our best 22. We might be able to afford to drop 1 and still make top 4, we also might not be able to. And I don't think we should be flirting with that.
For me it only happens if someone is playing with a niggle, and could do with a game up forward or a rest. Otherwise you don't touch the main group of mids. Playing Parker up forward does also allow a switch if needed, but then yeah, you have to play JPK somewhere else.

Probably wouldn't call it a gift, more just sensible management of players leading into finals. But needs a reason behind it of course.

This.

I have to say this board can be a funny place sometimes. At the same time as we're talking about how crucial it is that we are on our game every week in order to make top 4, we're saying how we should be using the coming games to basically experiment with the team.

it has been the way with club greats in the past, maxfield and o'keefe come to mind ...
That is not my recollection of Stuey Maxfield’s departure.

My recollection was he was still best 22 but then firstly he got injured, and then made the decision to return to Melbourne for family reasons.

But my memory ain’t what it used to be.

This.

I have to say this board can be a funny place sometimes. At the same time as we're talking about how crucial it is that we are on our game every week in order to make top 4, we're saying how we should be using the coming games to basically experiment with the team.
Except in this case, that's not what I was saying (just experimenting with the team). Both times I've mentioned it, has been in the context of a mid needing a rest. If there's nothing like that, then it doesn't happen.

That is not my recollection of Stuey Maxfield’s departure.

My recollection was he was still best 22 but then firstly he got injured, and then made the decision to return to Melbourne for family reasons.

But my memory ain’t what it used to be.

mine's the same going back to details of maxfield
i thought he was injured but became available again, but they couldn't find a place for him
i'm certain he was there in the celebrations on the ground after the "leo barry, you star" moment

This.

We’re just all bored waiting for Saturday to roll around. Gotta talk about something.

Wish every AFL team played twice a week, like a lot of o/s comps.

mine's the same going back to details of maxfield
i thought he was injured but became available again, but they couldn't find a place for him
i'm certain he was there in the celebrations on the ground after the "leo barry, you star" moment
And my recollection is that he was injured, and just ended his year / retired. Made winning a flag, without the captain, more impressive.

Edit from Wikipedia: "In 2005, Stuart Maxfield and his wife separated, and he decided to resign from the Sydney captaincy to spend time with his children in Melbourne on weekdays. After stepping down as captain Maxfield suffered multiple injuries keeping him out of the team for the remainder of the season, and as a result missed an opportunity to play in the 2005 AFL Grand Final in which Sydney defeated the West Coast Eagles by four points. Shortly after the game, at the club's 2005 Best and Fairest awards night, he announced his retirement from the AFL."

Except in this case, that's not what I was saying (just experimenting with the team). Both times I've mentioned it, has been in the context of a mid needing a rest. If there's nothing like that, then it doesn't happen.

Yeah wasn't referring to you specifically, just the overall conversation about how we need to "find out" what JPK can do. There are things I'd much rather "find out", like how well this current 22 that's absolutely flying can sustain this form, and how well they can continue to gel going into September.

Yeah wasn't referring to you specifically, just the overall conversation about how we need to "find out" what JPK can do. There are things I'd much rather "find out", like how well this current 22 that's absolutely flying can sustain this form, and how well they can continue to gel going into September.
Yeah, my scenario was kind of an olive branch to the "play JPK" crowd, and also the particular circumstances in which him playing a full game in midfield could happen (with the least possible risk). I did use the "find out" language as well, since we haven't seem him play a full mids game in the seniors all year, though I'd expect us to revert back to the main 4 mids the week after, even if he does alright.

Toastie time!
964636c8fd441420b3e858efdc4670f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
You should be banned

This.

I don't hate the idea of resting some players before the finals though - even considering the pre-finals bye. Resting some players for the Collingwood/St. Kilda games also not the worst idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its clear GWS have no idea what they are doing. God help the rebuild coach.

Team announcements for round 19:
Tom Green - managed

Mark McVeigh: "His form has been down lately so that's an omission"

Tom Green doesn't play VFL that week

Selection committee: "Let's put Tom Green back in"

Makes sense.

Tom Green - managed

Makes sense.
Watch him roll through our midfield like a bulldozer in Flinders Lane.

Stoked we are unchanged though. It's this time of the season you want stability in selection. Just take a look at GWS, West Coast, St Kilda, Hawthorn and their changes. Lots. Some forced. Some by choice.

Tom Green - managed

Makes sense.
That makes perfect sense. If Green is tired and needs to be managed making him fly down to Vic and play in the VFL is not a way to have him rest.

Woo! Unchanged lineup!

The Giants have some real good ins. No excuses from us but it'll be harder than their ladder position dictates
They have some good names coming in, form-wise, they are not great ins....Kelly in particular has been fairly ordinary in the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back