Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

You can make a case for him. But by no means was it a case that 'he was absolutely robbed/what were they thinking giving it to Smith'.
There's a reason why Isaac was shorter than him for the Bet365 in-play betting.
At the game myself, I basically thought that Smith was going to win the Norm Smith, but Dangerfield was the best player on the ground, if that makes sense.

Don't forget, Dangerfield played relatively low minutes and spent a portion of that at full-forward.

Norm Smith voting (like Brownlow voting) tends to focus a lot on disposals and goals (midfielders medal generally)

Not enough weight is generally given to players (IMO) who do things that genuinely decide the game. Like Voss taking a 2 on 1 mark on the wing in the '02 Granny (had he dropped it Collingwood would have nearly certainly scored in the late stages of a tight, low-scoring game). The stats say Voss had a few less possessions than Buckley but in those fewer possessions were touches that were genuinely match winning.

In the same game Clark Keating rucked almost entirely by himself for nearly 40 hitouts - I doubt he even got a NS vote.

The 2018 GF is another good case in point. No doubting Shuey's excellent performance but all those touches would have been for nought if McGovern hadn't single-handledly saved about 5 goals, including the repelling a late thrust forward which ultimately set up Sheed's goal. And Sheed had nearly the same number of possessions and kicked the winning goal from an insanely difficult angle, given the pressure. That goal literally decided the premiership - its worth at least 10+ (100?) disposals.

Last edited:

It was great for Smith to win it, and I won't argue it. But man, having rewatched the game Danger could really make a case for himself. He was a massive bull and got the game rolling. And much like 2011, if Hawkins had kicked straight he would have been up there as well.

You can make a case for him. But by no means was it a case that 'he was absolutely robbed/what were they thinking giving it to Smith'.
There's a reason why Isaac was shorter than him for the Bet365 in-play betting.
I think you are missing my point. Sometimes there are games where there are two deserved norm smith winners. Other times there are none.

i would rate both dangerfields and isaac smiths game ahead of chapmans 2009 norm, sjs 2007 norm and bartels 2011 norm.

liam picken got 24 disposals and 3 goals.

Suprised the bont only had 22 disposals in that 2016 grand final, I thought he had at least 25.
Bont didn’t have that much of it, but used it well when he did get it.

It was a pretty even team performance actually. Only Daniel was poor, and Stringer up until the last quarter. Maybe also Clay Smith (that goal he got though from a free kick was pretty funny).

Picken for mine was clearly best on. I can live with JJ though. Disposal was poor but he did open the game up with pace, and was constantly moving the ball forward in a time when inches forward meant a lot if you know what I mean.

My votes were…
3. Picken
2. Macrae
1- Morris

Pretty biased, but I don’t get the people who think Kennedy was robbed?
Brilliant first half, but Libratore going to him in the second half was a match winning move.

Bartel in 2009 should have been a shout for the Norm Smith.

His tagging job on Lenny Hayes was better then his 2011 performance imo.

My $20 ticket on Picken winning the Norm Smith is still sitting in my drawer for when they uncover the betting scandal that saw JJ win it.
Really insane how it wasn't him or Kennedy

Were they awarding best on ground or the metres gained medal with JJ?

I think if Kennedy didn't win it, should be almost impossible for a losing player to going forward. Couldn't have done more.

all those votes were in the moment by people at the ground watching from a distance.

those who have watched the game properly a second time have mostly all changed their view. He had 6 goal assists. Won so many crucial contests.
I was 50/50 after the game. But since watching the replay am firmly in the Dangerfield camp.

Jack Gunston was a touch unlucky in 2013, I felt. Lake was certainly good, but 4 goals in a low-scoring game (with only 19 kicked in total) was a big effort.

Perhaps he was deemed ineligible because Zac Dawson was his direct opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss wasn’t even the best Brisbane player that day
Yes he was. Won them a premiership. Got the ball into the scoring zone more than anyone else and defended in the most critical moments, and the last ten minutes were vintage. Watch the game, and if you need numbers, have AFL Tables on while you do it...

Yes he was. Won them a premiership. Got the ball into the scoring zone more than anyone else and defended in the most critical moments, and the last ten minutes were vintage. Watch the game, and if you need numbers, have AFL Tables on while you do it...
Have seen the game on multiple occasions. Black and Keating were better for Brisbane, and Buckley was better for Collingwood, arguably Rocca too. It's a four quarter game

all those votes were in the moment by people at the ground watching from a distance.

those who have watched the game properly a second time have mostly all changed their view. He had 6 goal assists. Won so many crucial contests.

This was my view. At the ground, I thought Smith was a pretty clear BOG but watching the game again on Sunday, I had Danger just ahead.

I thought he was good at the ground, I thought he was great on the replay. Smith was great in both though, worthy winner.

This was my view. At the ground, I thought Smith was a pretty clear BOG but watching the game again on Sunday, I had Danger just ahead.

I thought he was good at the ground, I thought he was great on the replay. Smith was great in both though, worthy winner.
I should have read the post above mine...you said basically what I think.

Have seen the game on multiple occasions. Black and Keating were better for Brisbane, and Buckley was better for Collingwood, arguably Rocca too. It's a four quarter game
It’s been 20 years, but people still go on about the 2002 Norm Smith.

The facts of the matter were 3 of the 5 judges gave Michael Voss no votes at all. He played really well, but not THAT well. His last 10 minutes were great and the controversy was the judges voted before those last 10 minutes.

So the judges were later asked if they would have changed votes - 3 said yes. They went through the exercise of voting again and Nathan Buckley still won.

Voss played really well but had terrific midfield support from Lappin and Black in particular.

Buckley went solo with little support.
The fact Voss had to fire up in the last 10 minutes to get the star studded Brisbane across the line speaks volumes for how well Buckley played all game.

This is the article from 2002, where redoing the voting still had Buckley winning.

OK...
1979- Billy Picken.
1983- John Kennedy
1984- Leon Baker
1986- Peter Schwab*
1988- Paul Abbott
1989- Darrin Pritchard
1991- James Morrissey/Stephen Lawrence.
1994- Chris Waterman.
1996- Corey Mckernan
1997- Darren Jarman
1998- Darren Jarman
2007- Matthew Scarlett
2008- Michael Osborne
2010- Brendan Goddard
2013- Jack Gunstan
2014- Sam Mitchell
2015- Sam Mitchell
2016- Liam Picken.
2017- Bacher Houli

In '86 at half time Gary Buckenara would've been $1.01 had there been in-play betting back then, absolutely tore Carlton a new one.
A few controversial one's but it's for sh×T's and giggles I hope

OK...
1979- Billy Picken.
1983- John Kennedy
1984- Leon Baker
1986- Peter Schwab*
1988- Paul Abbott
1989- Darrin Pritchard
1991- James Morrissey/Stephen Lawrence.
1994- Chris Waterman.
1996- Corey Mckernan
1997- Darren Jarman
1998- Darren Jarman
2007- Matthew Scarlett
2008- Michael Osborne
2010- Brendan Goddard
2013- Jack Gunstan
2014- Sam Mitchell
2015- Sam Mitchell
2016- Liam Picken.
2017- Bacher Houli

In '86 at half time Gary Buckenara would've been $1.01 had there been in-play betting back then, absolutely tore Carlton a new one.
A few controversial one's but it's for sh×T's and giggles I hope

I reckon Xavier Ellis was more stiff in 08.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back