Club Focus Hawthorn 2022 - Amon, Stephens, Meek, Greene, McKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Mitchell

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

If this strategy doesn’t pay off then they might well find themselves in Tassie. Won flags in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s 00s, and 10s. During the 80s played in 7 GF’s in a row and across the last 50 years have had least 4 genuine “dynasties”. And yet in 1996 just a few years after winning their 8th flag in 20 years they barely staved off a merger with Melbourne.

Quite simply their supporters and sponsors are not used to failure. They have been spoilt by success but as a consequence there is no resilience and their supporters/members are already dropping off. Have proven time and again they are a quality club with smart people at the helm but if this fire sale backfires then they could be in all sorts as I'm not sure they can sustain a protracted period as a bottom 4 team.
Reaching if I've ever read it

If this strategy doesn’t pay off then they might well find themselves in Tassie. Won flags in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s 00s, and 10s. During the 80s played in 7 GF’s in a row and across the last 50 years have had least 4 genuine “dynasties”. And yet in 1996 just a few years after winning their 8th flag in 20 years they barely staved off a merger with Melbourne.

Quite simply their supporters and sponsors are not used to failure. They have been spoilt by success but as a consequence there is no resilience and their supporters/members are already dropping off. Have proven time and again they are a quality club with smart people at the helm but if this fire sale backfires then they could be in all sorts as I'm not sure they can sustain a protracted period as a bottom 4 team.
Shut up, you peanut. You couldn't be more wrong.

It was us rank & file Hawthorn supporters who voted "no" to the merger takeover attempt by Melbourne & AFL in 1996, who volunteered in our droves with fundraisers, helped clear a multi-million dollar debt and boosted the club membership to unprecedented record levels... and it's stayed that way ever since.

Complacent, spoiled fans were blind-sided by the '96 merger/takeover attempt. Many of us thought it was a joke... a media beat-up... When it became apparent that our buffoon administrators were serious, the Hawks fans rallied in their thousands and saved the club. The AFL tried all sorts of dirty tricks to make their Melbourne Hawks wet-dream happen, but it wasn't even close. Once the "no" campaign was launched, the merger never stood a chance

Hawthorn's playing list (and finances) were in a diabolical state from 1995 to 1998... Despite the bottom 4 finishes and getting belted by 10 goals every other week, Hawks fans showed up in very good numbers at Waverley throughout this time. Membership was strong and attendance levels were good.

Richmond were engaged in merger talks too back in the late 80's/early 90's. Many clubs were. It was simply the way things were back in the day when AFL sociopaths, Ross Oakley and Graeme Samuel pursued their economic rationalist agenda to cull Victorian clubs.

Last edited:

Hawthorn just broke their membership record this year, after a bunch of people like yourself suggested that we’d lose supporters once when we weren’t playing finals.

Cool story though.

What an embarrassing post, our members are dropping off are they?

Lol no clue

Shut up, you peanut. You couldn't be more wrong.

It was us rank & file Hawthorn supporters who voted "no" to the merger takeover attempt by Melbourne & AFL in 1996, who volunteered in our droves with fundraisers, helped clear a multi-million dollar debt and boosted the club membership to unprecedented record levels... and it's stayed that way ever since.

Complacent, spoiled fans were blind-sided by the '96 merger/takeover attempt. Many of us thought it was a joke... a media beat-up... When it became apparent that our buffoon administrators were serious, the Hawks fans rallied in their thousands and saved the club. The AFL tried all sorts of dirty tricks to make their Melbourne Hawks wet-dream happen, but it wasn't even close. Once the "no" campaign was launched, the merger never stood a chance

Hawthorn's playing list (and finances) were in a diabolical state from 1995 to 1998... Despite the bottom 4 finishes and getting belted by 10 goals every other week, Hawks fans showed up in very good numbers out in Waverley throughout this time. Membership was strong and attendance level were good.

Richmond were engaged in merger talks too back in the late 80's/early 90's. Many clubs were. It was simply the way things were back in the day when sociopathic AFL supremos Ross Oakley and Graeme Samuel pursued their economic rationalist agenda to cull Victorian clubs.
I know we were. And we were forced to rattle the tin more than once. We were a basket case for many, many years. But unlike Hawthorn, and I don’t wear this as any sort of badge of honour, Richmond (like Collingwood) has a significant ‘nuffie’ factor who will follow the club no matter what. I’m not sure Hawthorn does. I’m not referring to the hard core, who will follow through thick and thin but I genuinely think, that by virtue of having been bought up on the back of 50 years sustained success, Hawthorn are in some strife if they have a decade of mediocrity.

I have no particular dislike of Hawthorn. In fact I admire them Immensely. The fact you reference that you were diabolical for just 3 years, when other clubs live in an almost permanent diabolical state demonstrates what a strong club you have been. It’s just my view and I just sense a few cracks opening up. I guess only time will tell it’s accurate.

Last edited:
I know we were. And we were forced to rattle the tin more than once. We were a basket case for many, many years. But unlike Hawthorn, and I don’t wear this as any sort of badge of honour, Richmond (like Collingwood) has a significant ‘nuffie’ factor who will follow the club no matter what. I’m not sure Hawthorn does. I’m not referring to the hard core, who will follow through thick and thin but I genuinely think, that by virtue of having been bought up on the back of 50 years sustained success, Hawthorn are in some if they have a decade of mediocrity.

I have no particular dislike of Hawthorn. In fact I admire them Immensely. The fact you reference that you were diabolical for just 3 years, when other clubs live in an almost permanent diabolical state demonstrates what a strong club you have been. It’s just my view and I just sense a few cracks opening up. I guess only time will tell it’s accurate.
Mate, we are not "going to Tasmania". It's the exact opposite.

We've been on a good wicket in Tassie as our "home away from home" for the past 20 years

The AFL tried their best to supplant us with North Melbourne, but Jeff Kennett stuck it up 'em, renegotiated our deal and kept us there for another 10 years.
But with a new Tassie team looking more and more likely, it appears as though the "Tassie Hawks" will be a relic of the past.

Hawthorn just broke their membership record this year, after a bunch of people like yourself suggested that we’d lose supporters once when we weren’t playing finals.

Cool story though.

14 clubs broke membership records in 2022, including St.Kilda, North Melbourne, GWS and Gold Coast. After several COVID impacted seasons we all craved some footy and voted with our wallets. Even the small clubs with years of recent mediocrity registered increases. Happy to stand corrected if the pattern continues into 2023 but I just don't think the 2022 sample is an accurate gauge.

I know we were. And we were forced to rattle the tin more than once. We were a basket case for many, many years. But unlike Hawthorn, and I don’t wear this as any sort of badge of honour, Richmond (like Collingwood) has a significant ‘nuffie’ factor who will follow the club no matter what. I’m not sure Hawthorn does. I’m not referring to the hard core, who will follow through thick and thin but I genuinely think, that by virtue of having been bought up on the back of 50 years sustained success, Hawthorn are in some strife if they have a decade of mediocrity.

You said that you can see Hawthorn moving to Tasmania! That was a stupid thing to say, that or you are stirring shit.

14 clubs broke membership records in 2022, including St.Kilda, North Melbourne, GWS and Gold Coast. After several COVID impacted seasons we all craved some footy and voted with our wallets. Even the small clubs with years of recent mediocrity registered increases. Happy to stand corrected if the pattern continues into 2023 but I just don't think the 2022 sample is an accurate gauge.
You do realise that prior to 2021 Hawthorn broke their membership record for 11 years straight?

Any talk of supporters dropping off or moving to Tassie is pure nuffie areas.

Just lost their best and most influential player for peanuts.

Trying to offload two of their better senior players on the last day of trade week for the second consecutive year.

Probably the spoon favorite at this stage.

Trying to offload two of their better senior players on the last day of trade week for the second consecutive year.

Jog On to the North Board Campaigner

Your innacuracies and delusion are not welcome here

Will Phillips over McDonald 🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it means getting the best key position player in the 2023 draft, then it’s a price I think Hawthorn would be happy to pay.

Newcombe is still on the list mate, you ok?

Top 10 in the B&F

1. James Sicily (123)
2. Jai Newcombe (115)
3. Dylan Moore (113)
4. Blake Hardwick (82)
5. Tom Mitchell (79)
6. Mitch Lewis (74)
7. Jaeger O’Meara (65)
8. Finn Maginness (61)
9. Harry Morrison (59)
9. Jack Scrimshaw (59)

Mitchell and O'Meara likely gone with Amon in. Natural improvement in younger players will help as will as a better injury run especially with the rucks

Mitchell will be a loss but our midfield has been awful for 4 seasons with Mitchell and O'Meara in there for a majority of it
Exactly, nailed it. Cut ‘em loose and get what we can, even if it is only a meek trade.

Aren't you Hawks guys worried you're cutting your list to deep in one go?

North did the same thing and have been dragging along the bottom of the ladder since.

I don't understand why Hawthorne are having a fire sale, they are getting rid of good players for nothing (besides o'meara for 19, which I would take) and losing all the experience in the side for zero net gain?

Is there a logic I'm just not seeing?

North did the same thing and have been dragging along the bottom of the ladder since.

I don't understand why Hawthorne are having a fire sale, they are getting rid of good players for nothing (besides o'meara for 19, which I would take) and losing all the experience in the side for zero net gain?

North cut 12 players in an offseason with zero return

We have 2 retire, delisted 2 , and will trade 3 (for decent compo)

Its not the same

We are not nearly cutting the number of players north did. Though we’ve cut huge amounts of our list over the last 3 years.

The biggest difference is the quality left on our list is significantly better than what was left on Norths list

Please, the two scenarios are not the same.

We have 22 of our top 25 from the best and fairest remaining on the list next year, plus Amon and Meek, and with the return of Wingard, Lewis, CJ, Worpel, Reeves and others who were put on ice late in 2022.

Gunston there was no choice but to accept it
O'Meara for 19 as you mentioned would be a good deal - also almost balanced out by Amon coming in
Mitchell was being pushed out of the middle already. I think he will be a loss but it means more time in the middle for Ward, Macdonald, Maginness and whomever we pick at 6(7) to push the team forward in 2-3 years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back