Traded Dylan Stephens [Traded with #25 to North for #44 and F-EoF]

Remove this Banner Ad

It is Stevie J talking Dylan Stephens on MMM today. 1:11:50 in. Take that for what it's worth.

'He will be representing the Kangaroos in 2024'

Former first round pick from SA out of contract. 22 years old

Looks primed for a breakout year on the wing, 27 touches and a goal round 1

Would assume all clubs not just the SA ones will be interested
He didn't spend long in Adelaide so I don't think he has a huge connection there apart from his brief playing time.

He's from Mildura.

Raised in mildura before a few years in adelaide before the draft, wont really have a go home factor anywhere which will lend itself well to sydney resigning him, hopefully at least. Great to see he's starting to deliver on the pick sydney used on him

Nah, Mildura is not far. Bring the boy home*

*Can he play?
Nah geelong is too cold if your from mildura, plus its technically richmond zone anyway :p. Looked good round 1 but stepped back a bit in round 2 atleast on stats, didnt really watch the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm yeah I totally associate Richmond with Mildura :)
Its the academy zone, its a bit all over the place team wise. Thats my experience growing up there at least. For instance Dylan supported the blues

Last edited:
Hmmm i guess anything is possible after "Sydney fans have nothing to worry about" Dawson.

Fought hard for his place in the team would be surprised if he left.
Adelaide actively overlooked him in the draft when he was right there at our pick - so I am guessing he would be in no hurry to shift to the crows even if they showed interest (huge money offer not withstanding etc)

Might need to ply he wares somewhere outside of SA. Have poured a huge investment into our young midfield and could only see him going to us as a DFA/pick 60-70 type depth option. He's gotta go were the offer and opportunities are their best when you're a fringe player and I doubt they will be at either Adelaide or Port.

The issue will be his manager using the 'former top 5 pick' line as a bargaining tool to drive his price up when negotiating a new deal at the Swans. It would be the Swans mistake to fall for it as paying overs for Dylan at this stage of his career would be very foolish in my opinion. I think Stephens has the potential to be an extremely good and reliable (albeit not elite) player in his prime but his next contract isn't the one that any team would look forward to if I'm being honest.

Certainly won't help any team 'win now' over the next couple of years and would need to be an investment over the next 6 years to see any sort of return if another club wanted to pry him away from the Swans.

So far, proving to be a frustrating pick in quite a peculiar draft.

I don’t think he particularly likes playing on a wing. Would love to see how he goes on the inside but unfortunately for him there’s just too many quality mids in front of him at the Swans.

He did say this in an interview in 2019 when talking about a U18 championship game -

“I wanted to be on the inside and I was out on a wing and a lot of the time I wasn’t involved with the play as you can be with a wingman”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back