Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The one-on-one contested style was so good to see. The last 3/4 we just didn't give them any breathing space at all and 82 tackles for the game.

Would have been brilliant if we played that way in the Showdown instead of guarding grass.
We probably beat the crom playing this style. To think we are 5-2 and thats with a loss to them. They are no doubt improved but was a great chance to be 6-1.

How good is Rozees contested game now? Getting a lot of attention from the opposition so not always racking up huge numbers but his work rate and toughness inside has been fantastic. What a player. Butters also an animal attacking the contest!
I am totally enamoured by Finlayson too. He is like Schulz to me now. Different type of forward but the sense of calm when he gets the ball. I paid so little attention to our trading and drafting that I don’t even know where we got him from, or how.

Also its harsh but TJ just cant come straight back in now. This season has too much momentum for us to have to try to carry him while he finds form. We were very lucky with the suspension but a tough call needs to be made. Has to get back via the SNAFL, captain or not.

Its an easier call to make now that the DBJ problem has been solved. Is immense in the midfield and forward line.
Would be the gutsiest call of Hinkley's coaching career if he makes it. Will he make it? Probably not, but I'll be impressed if he does.

What a world we live in where we as Port Adelaide supporters are lucky our captain got rubbed out for a week via suspension.
Never should have come to that but the club has been very slow to react to what was plainly clear to many Port supporters. Don't think there would be many successful Afl coaches that would have reappointed Jonas captain this season.

Ken’s calling the shots nothing has changed it’s just a much stronger mind set by the players than what has been dished up in the past.
JHF has made a difference this year big time.
He’s taken a lot of attention away from other players who get a bit more freedom.
Dixon who missed a lot of football last year has also improved things along with Jezz who has really found form this year with his all over the ground play.
Improved performances by some of the younger guys like Bergman and you have what we are seeing now.
Also a lot of these so called gone past Port teams are shyt.
There’s maybe 3 teams in the comp that are looking real good, the rest is a weekly raffle.
We are most probably a good tap ruckman and key defender away from the real contenders the rest is pretty close to the mark.
It’s hilarious how the ‘supposedly’ weak minded JHF has made us tougher.

Just unbelievable to belittle the coach after a brilliantly coached win.
Have you not noticed how much better we've been coached tactically since Hinkley moved out of the coaches box where all the tactical decisions are made?

Hinkley is playing to his strengths acting as Walmart greeter on the bench and leaving the big boy decisions to Josh Carr.

Just unbelievable to belittle the coach after a brilliantly coached win.
Call it what you like but the fact is we’ve had three fantastic close wins off the back of tactical adjustments rather than individual brilliance (ie R.Gray) which we haven’t seen for a long, long time.

It just so happens to coincide with him moving to the bench and leveraging his strengths as a coach whilst allowing others in the box to leverage theirs.

The one-on-one contested style was so good to see. The last 3/4 we just didn't give them any breathing space at all and 82 tackles for the game.

Would have been brilliant if we played that way in the Showdown instead of guarding grass.
100%. Have hated our zone defence & continual compensation for its underperformance. Loving the change in coaching tactics & player buy in. It's been a pleasure to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive win last night, was very impressed the way we stuck at it against a team on their deck, and up against it in the first quarter. If someone offered me 5-2 before the season started I'd have taken their arm off so it's a great start, something we need to capitalise on.

JHF was outstanding, set the tone when he came on into the middle and St.Kilda and Ross Lyon had no answers for him. Kid has future superstar written all over him, and potential captain down the line, and the more those idiots boo him the better he gets. Boak was outstanding, one of his best games for sometime. He lifted those around him and deserves all the credit he gets for that performance. Special mention to Dixon as well, he was clearly on one leg but he never threw in the towel, competed well set up a few goals, the first one for Rioli was brilliant and came up with a big contested mark late on. Full credit to him.

Have to give Hinkley credit for the last month, can't criticise the man non stop if it goes wrong and not pay the credit when he gets it right. He's changed it up going to the bench and the results have come. Feel he's coaching well and that's all you can ask for from him.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Loved how Dix just kept trying to impact the game when things weren't going his way. Eventually he became a key reason we won. All credit to his guts to stay involved. Could see the fire in his eyes post game interview. That's the fire we need from most players to win a flag.

St Kilda always find a way to give us important wins. Could that be the start of something?

Great, hard fought win against a quality opponent.

JHF could literally end his career as the GOAT if he keeps this trajectory. Unbelievable stuff. Connor and Butters both great too.

On the negative the umpiring was blatant outright cheating. In the last 5 minutes the umpires seemed to get more and more desperate, giving St Kilda multiple frees that should have gone to Port players. Another game where Id guess there was money involved and an attempt to rig it against us. The commentating was absolute rock bottom saints fans too, appalling stuff.

Great to have the world against us and overcome though.
100% agree

the channel 7 commentators are a disgrace. basically barracked for saints in the last half.
makes me laugh when we get a dodgy free, which happens once every 3 games they highlight the free and discuss but no mention of the frees the other way. Some were disgraceful. Even the saint splayers didn’t know they got the free.

Dixon was massive. You really don't appreciate exactly what he does until you see the replay, but he was worth 5 goals minimum tonight. In a game where we only kick 12 he is the difference between winning and losing. It's crucial that we keep him on the park and hopefully fit. I don't know what this PCL injury looks like but hopefully it doesn't get worse. He will need to be managed this year I think.

People s**t on McEntee but it's clear he is a very important part of this team now. Yep he doesn't get the ball much and will never kick a big bag. But him, along with SPP and DBJ, create chaos in that forward line. That sort of chaos probably makes 3 or 4 goals a game and saves us a few the other way. Fantasia will need to do a lot to ever get back in this side, pending fitness.

Williams and Bergman were great. Maybe that Dougal Howard trade wasn't too bad after all? Howard was poor and Williams and Bergman are coming along very nicely.

Teakle broke even in the ruck but got pounded around the ground. I guess it was an expected outcome. What pissed me off was just the fumbles and drops. If he picks up the ball cleanly I think it is a reasonable game. The fumbles cost us dearly, particularly that one in the last quarter. I thought that was going to cost us the game.

Lord competed and tried hard but otherwise struggled. Needs to be a bit more sure and committed with ball in hand. Take the first option and don't be afraid to take the kick. The handballs to players under pressure rarely comes off, especially when you are handballing to turnover king Burgoyne. Also go for the ball Ollie! Way to preoccupied with wrestling. If you go for the ball you are a better chance of marking it or getting a free.

Rioli is close to really tearing a game apart. JHF was obviously fantastic and Boak just grinded it out. At some point JHF will earn the reputation of a Dangerfield and Petracca and hopefully get umpired in a similar way.

Some other good to great contributors but those were the ones that stood out at the game.
This is a good post but for a bloke with a Butters avatar there is a severe lack of a certain yellow dairy product in it.

That was an old fashioned Port style win, some mistakes were made by the continued hunting in packs game style where on 2 or 3 occasions in the first half too many players got sucked into the contest when it would have been better for one or two to hang back, but they sorted it out in the end and got the well earned chocolates.

JHF was sensational and Bergmann wasn't too far behind him.
Dixon played a great team game, Boak may have found a new role, Butters and Rozee worked their back sides off, Houston was excellent, Finlayson's clutch work is 2nd to none, Burgoyne looks 10x better at this level than he does in the snafl, and Rioli showed why we went after him.

Re the lesser lights, I didn't think Teakle was that bad, he regularly put himself where the ball was and with the confidence that should come with some more experience at the top level he may be a chance to make the grade.
Lord appeared to struggle with the pace of the game but he wasn't much if any worse than Wines who in my eyes didn't do anything at all.

Re the coach, where has this bloke been since he shook his fist at Sean Hart in the coach's box all those years ago, has he finally woken up and said f*** you koch I'm doing it my way?
This going into bat for a player publicly stuff, and then calling out the scumps for ratsh*t umpiring a week or so later is what any coach worth his salt should do!

100% agree

the channel 7 commentators are a disgrace. basically barracked for saints in the last half.
makes me laugh when we get a dodgy free, which happens once every 3 games they highlight the free and discuss but no mention of the frees the other way. Some were disgraceful. Even the saint splayers didn’t know they got the free.
I believe some of the BS we continually cop from Vic commentators has a fair bit to do with the meek and mild entity the club has become under koch's BS presidency, and if kern stays on the front foot, or any replacement coach does the same, those commentators will eventually gravitate towards a softer target.

JHF was massive last night, a 19 year old kid dominating clearances is fantastic.

Just loved watching him play. Has some real strength, power and speed about him. Just need him to keep working at it, stay he course and he could be anything. Just a natural ball winner in the middle.

Definitely worth the price we paid for him.

I am totally enamoured by Finlayson too. He is like Schulz to me now. Different type of forward but the sense of calm when he gets the ball. I paid so little attention to our trading and drafting that I don’t even know where we got him from, or how.
Oh I looked up the deal…wow!

And glad we did the Giants such a favour.

Silvagni questioned whether Finlayson is the tye of player the Power need, considering how well stocked they are in the forward line.

“I don’t see it as a need for Port at all, I think they’ll be doing the Giants a favour,” the former Carlton list manager told AFL Trade Radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back