Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good, professional win - yeah heck we shouldn’t be allowing it to get to that stage but we lose that game last year. To be completely honest we lose probably 2 of the last 3. We’re a much much better, professional side right now.

Do we have another gear to go up when it’s required against better teams? I dunno we’ll find out soon, but we’re setting ourselves up for a brilliant year.

Carlton were bad but goddamn they have weapons and we completely neutralised them. The coaches will be stoked with this performance and they should be. The plan for defence was fantastic, the Lobb role, Cody on ball in the last all great. Sub use really poor.

Enough been said on JODs selection, again nothing against the kid he looks a real talent but heck me, playing forward? That’s just an arrogant selection of old which we’ve moved past this year, why change a structure that’s working and it showed how easy the ball ran out of there again. We were getting it right? Why’d we heck with it 😂 anyway no harm done, I really hope we make the change next week whilst sucks for JOD he needs to be playing defence in VFL at this stage - I’m worried we will roll the dice again as to not drop him after a game but that would be a big mistake, we were 1 down tonight, and why so slow to make the change? Geez it was so obvious.

Our back 6 is just brilliant atm, really really good stuff and the reason we’re winning games. That’s 13 goals for tall forwards kicked against us in 6 weeks now, that is ridiculously stingy. Great changes to our game. Obviously tonight we focused on neutralising them and playing a little slower and yeah it made it hard to watch at times but was the reason we won the game, we flicked the switch when we needed too.

I’ve been concerned that we have 3 of the top 10 best players in the comp and only just winning, but tonight we won without them performing (although Libba was massive late). This is a massive positive, they cannot win us games every week it’s unrealistic. Others stepped up tonight ie Arty, Baz, Cody in the last etc this is really good sign for our future.

Our bottom 6 is performing, our top end is performing - I think we’re still lacking a bit from those middle guys that could be better that’s how we take the next step IMO. Getting more out of Macrae, Dale, Doc, Cody etc

Marra is great, he’s such a good high half forward. He’s only so close to having kicked 20+ this year but only has half that, that polish will come but geez he’s a talent. Again wasnt Naughtys best night but his worst is so good, he is so so consistent just because he finds ways to contribute even when he’s not marking and goaling. I’ve said this a million times, but it’s so underrated how good he is outside of just the marks and goals. Honestly he could kick zero goals every year and he would play the next decade in our forward line, that’s how valuable he is outside of his obvious job of a key forward.

Arty is just pure class, he is really really good. Liam jones is an absolute monster in defence, his one on one work is so crucial. I ******* love this guy. JJ instrumental, Baz back to what he does best and hasn’t really been mentioned but he had a crucial role in Cripps which he won. Really tough game. Daniel is a good midfielder, Ed Richards what can I add? He’s elite, I can’t think of a small/medium defender in the comp I’d take over him. Lobb is so handy, he makes us better. Gards and Keath had good moments but geez they’re hecking terrifyingly capable of ridiculously bad errors, but again 13 goals from key forwards in 6 weeks - they’re successful parts of the team as is. I miss Bruce though I think he’s our 2nd best defender this year.

Buku would have been useful tonight, terrible call at selection when he would have played JODs role better and easily capable of the TOG JOD played, way too cute at selection and it was costly. Williams is really growing in his role, Baker is a concern for mine again did a few good things but he hecks up so much too, I’d love to upgrade his spot to Bedendo etc, his pace is really important though.

Great win, really promising season with a wide open draw - we should make top 4 from here, and if we don’t that’s a failure IMO. Grinding out solid wins is a huge step forward for this club, do we have another level in us? I think we do but we’ll have to wait and see

Happy with our defense tonight. Carlton was supposed to tear us apart in the air and yet their key forwards were almost ineffective. We kept Carlton to 8 goals and under 60 points. Keith is a worry though. A big worry.
I don't think he is all that bad, nobody to replace him with anyways

You’d have to think that if we’d adopted a wait and see approach before re-signing him like Cornes etc suggested he’d be looking pretty good by now anyway.

Winning ugly but still winning. Quite incredibly we are only a win and percentage off the current ladder leaders.

To be 6-3 considering 1. where we were after 2 rounds and 2. other than Fremantle we haven't got close to putting four quarters together, is a pretty great position.

I have such high wraps on this team. Other than today we've been putting together well structured and complimentary teams, the role players are improving as they get settled in to roles that make sense to the team (Johannisen back, Jones as a pressure forward, Baker and Williams as the hard working wingers). If we can work out how to put close to four quarters together or at the very least not allow opposition to kick five goals in a row, the sky is the limit.

It can be true both that English was the better ruck on the game, but also didn't meet expectations as the best ruck in the league in the season so far up against a fringe ruck who has also been dropped this season and probably only getting a game because the opposition first choice ruck has been concussed
Yep

It was really odd how long it took us to pull what was an obvious move.

One that should've been made once Carlton began to assert midfield dominance through the middle of the ground in the 3rd.

A blind man at the bottom of a coal mine could see that we were way too top heavy at this point and were in desperate need of an extra runner.
Bev literally admitted that we were too top heavy round 1/2 and didn’t have the mix right, it’s honestly strange that we went back to that well? I don’t understand this one at all

Did the commentators put on black armbands after the game? What a bunch of ...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glad I’m not the only one that noticed this.

They we’re ****ing disgraceful all night.

Especially Hudson (who’s normally excellent)

Flat out barracking all night for Carlton.

Don't know the planning into the game.
But for me JOD looks a player.
Competed well and reminded me a bit of Arty's first games.Mabye he is not ready.
Perhaps they will persevere.
Any way a good selection by recruiters.
And Weightman in the guts works for short bursts.
The 3 tall forwards and flea really need better forward coaching.They keep spoiling each other and getting in each other's way.And never a player goal side of packs needs to be addressed.
Good win Doggies.And up yours Jack and your tragic football team
Omg how frustrating? With our talls we should always have a player goal side at ground level of the contest, the balls constantly going over the back - we would have kicked 6 goals from this last night

Artie Jones was simply awesome in the last quarter. He has completely arrived now and his selection will be automatic from now on. It's brilliant to have two genuinely good pressure small forwards in Weightman and Jones, with Scott a more than capable alternative small forward.

I really liked that when Carlton kicked six in a row and we were very wobbly, the response was to double down on being attacking and we put our heads over it and charged forward.

Well done Bevo. We needed to stop Carlton's momentum and you found a way to do that.

Good win in the end.
SACK BEVO!!!

I can live with him not going in when Smith, Libba and Bont are on the field. Do find it strange when Daniel goes in ahead of him. Think Daniel can be underrated as a stoppage player and he is good at the around the ground ones but I don't like him in the centre bounces. Makes more sense for Macrae to be in those ones and then Daniel comes up to the contest from the forward line.

Agree, I just think regardless of his new role it shouldn't take until Carlton kick 6 in a row to get him up for a CBA

But it should also be noted that Macrae only played 68% of the match tonight, his lowest for any match he didn't get injured in since R16 2014, that's almost 9 years ago. I think it's pretty clear that something is bothering him and I think the rumour is/was that it is ribs. He hasn't been bad but it would be great if we could get his fitness back.

Bev literally admitted that we were too top heavy round 1/2 and didn’t have the mix right, it’s honestly strange that we went back to that well? I don’t understand this one at all
If they wanted to reward JO'D good Footscray form.

Then they should've nutted up and dropped one of Gardner or Keath and played him in the back half.

Im glad that he got the exposure and he looks like he has a future, but it was hubris to bring him in this week.

We aren't so good that we can afford that kind of risk.

Last edited:
Even if it's out of character. I didn't want to kick a guy when he was down.

McKays so bereft of confidence right now that he decided to kick the ball around the corner from 30 metres out directly in front.

If I was blues fan I wouldn't have waited for 8 minutes left in the game to leave. I would've up and went right then!

I would've kicked that and Im 89 years old and dependant on a zimmer frame to get around.
McKay is genuinely not a good footballer, he’s huge and has super strong hands but that’s literally it. I thought it was even more hilarious than the miss when at the end of the first or 2nd he got the ball with 30 seconds to go 60m from goal and took 25 seconds to move the ball on.

The blokes an idiot, he has zero game awareness, zero football smarts, cannot kick to save himself he literally is just a very big bloke who can mark. I would think twice if I had the option to replace either Lobb or Marra with McKay in our team right now, I probably wouldn’t tbh.

I don't think he is all that bad, nobody to replace him with anyways
Maybe O'Donnell should have been played there. I agree there is no obvious replacement but Keith is barely hanging on. Someone will get hold of him and tear us apart soon. When do we play Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lmao at the people slagging Weightman in the game day, he was immense in the 4th
Ignore the gameday thread, it’s unreadable.
Lonely losers who don’t have friends to discuss the game with.
Lonely losers are always angry.

McKay is genuinely not a good footballer, he’s huge and has super strong hands but that’s literally it. I thought it was even more hilarious than the miss when at the end of the first or 2nd he got the ball with 30 seconds to go 60m from goal and took 25 seconds to move the ball on.

The blokes an idiot, he has zero game awareness, zero football smarts, cannot kick to save himself he literally is just a very big bloke who can mark. I would think twice if I had the option to replace either Lobb or Marra with McKay in our team right now, I probably wouldn’t tbh.
Good point.

He's great at running up the wings and clunking it. But heck me does he take forever to move the ball on.

Dare I say, he's a sub-par Casbault?

Oh, I guess I just did.

To be fair, athletic 197cm O'Donnell is different to bullky 208cm Darcy. Plus Gardner is more capable athletically and playing on smalls than Bruce.

halfway through that last quarter, before Libba kicked a steadier you could see the writing on the wall. Then Arty kicks another to put them in front and within a few minutes Bazlenka kicked another. They weren't losing from there but geez there were a lot of players down on form tonight. They should have gone on to win by 50+ points

Pittonet is English's cryptonite. Tim finished strong and wasn't bad, but Pittonet is so strong in those ruck contests and has great ruck craft, very tough match up for him.
Pittonet is strong when he's basically allowed to block his opponent's movement with outstretched arms and open palms literally metres away from the drop of the ball.

I agree that English didn't handle it particularly well, but there were a solid 15 block frees there.

Pittonet is strong when he's basically allowed to block his opponent's movement with outstretched arms and open palms literally metres away from the drop of the ball.

I agree that English didn't handle it particularly well, but there were a solid 15 block frees there.

Unless he bulks up a little and start using his height & athleticism to his advantage against solid rucks that trend will continue IMO

Maybe O'Donnell should have been played there. I agree there is no obvious replacement but Keith is barely hanging on. Someone will get hold of him and tear us apart soon. When do we play Geelong?
Keaths a worry with ball in hand and obviously lacking in confidence with his marking. 13 goals in 6 games to tall forwards though, he has to be given some credit for that. I’m not dying to change a successful back 6, but yeah admittedly he’s definitely on watch - if Bruce was fit he probably misses

Posters have mentioned Bailey Smith, Libba and Artie tonight and they absolutely deserve their praise, they were fantastic.

Two guys tonight however really deserve some praise:

- Anthony Scott. He’s hardly a star, but he does his job week in week out, and kicked a few tonight that were absolutely invaluable

- Lobb. As above, he kicked two tonight in a dour game. If he’s kicking two goals a game he’s doing his job.

I‘m super pumped about tonight.

That was a brilliant victory, full of character and heart.

At times tonight we did ourselves no favours - skill errors, dropped marks, some s**t kicking for goal - but to fight back and win it when momentum, luck, umpiring all seemed against us - just a brilliant win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back