Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Third week in a row playing at about 50%, getting experience into players who could well be required in September if injury strikes, and still able to bank 4 premiership points each game. Very Geelong of the past decade like.

Premierships aren't won in May, but they can be lost.

Liked how they were having a cry about Liam scragging McKay off the ball. Like that never happens to our forwards :rolleyes:

Astro was having his arms chopped or held in just about every contest.

Though it seemed like we were doing everything not to win for a bit there, really pleasing to finish the game off well. The most pleasing aspect was the array of players who stepped up.

As so far as the O'Donnell selection, firstly no one missed who would have made us stronger who was available. Secondly we did not play 4 forwards. Lobb playing wing allowed him to push back and help with their talls, be an outlet target from defence and a high forward entry as well as chop out in the ruck. Not sure what those of you who talk about plan B etc actually think that looks like.

Big game next week against a much improved Adelaide

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

McKay is just a player, take Curnow out and they’re bottom 4.

I don’t rate either tbh. They’re ok but when their team is down they often go missing

Anyone notice Bailey Smith kissing Bailey Dale after his goal?

The theme of the week being Carlton continued in the commentary boxes last night.

We heard all week about their ability to f*** up golden opportunities for two decades now, gifts in the form of very high draft picks that are handed to them over and over and over and how the manage to mangle a team with Cripps, McKay and Curnow in it.

Anyway, I genuinely had to out the glasses close to half time last night just to check we were out there. At one point it was 28-10 and all I heard was how well Carlton were doing without capitalising, how many Inside 50s they had and just generally what an amazing all conquering football side they are... 😂

Anyway...long may Carlton and its 'powerbrokers' (funny how they never think their agitating is part of the problem) isn't it?

Caaarrrllton has blown the 'backs against the wall' opportunity the media orchestrated. Media were hoping to continue the saga with a "their back!" narrative. Hopefully footy media will now turn on them and realise they're not much chop. I'm still happy to continue to go under the radar.

But it is infuriating to listen to commentators who focus on one team. I watched the replay and it felt like I had tuned into a Carlton exclusive broadcast. This particularly infuriates me when we play interstate and they focus on the opposition while they should be commentating for the supporters back home who couldn't get to the game.

Don't know the planning into the game.
But for me JOD looks a player.
Competed well and reminded me a bit of Arty's first games.Mabye he is not ready.
Perhaps they will persevere.
Any way a good selection by recruiters.
And Weightman in the guts works for short bursts.
The 3 tall forwards and flea really need better forward coaching.They keep spoiling each other and getting in each other's way.And never a player goal side of packs needs to be addressed.
Good win Doggies.And up yours Jack and your tragic football team
IMO The forward structure should be Weightman playing sweeper at the back of packs for the balls that make it through, let Naughts , Marra and Lobb contest the high balls and Arty front and square to swoop in and snivel it or prevent opposition exits.
Scott in the contest but on the ground to block to make space or pick up loose balls to feed out to either Cody or Arty

Though it seemed like we were doing everything not to win for a bit there, really pleasing to finish the game off well. The most pleasing aspect was the array of players who stepped up.

As so far as the O'Donnell selection, firstly no one missed who would have made us stronger who was available. Secondly we did not play 4 forwards. Lobb playing wing allowed him to push back and help with their talls, be an outlet target from defence and a high forward entry as well as chop out in the ruck. Not sure what those of you who talk about plan B etc actually think that looks like.

Big game next week against a much improved Adelaide

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You might have missed them but over the last 15 hours quite a few suggested Buku was the most obvious (and best qualified especially after kicking 4 last week) if the aim was to release Lobb further upfield.

I’m happy for JOD and had low expectations … as we should with any debutant. He’ll be better for the experience and looks like a real find.

However it’s not correct to say that nobody had any alternative suggestions.

Alias Jones and Smith Front, back and centre in the form of Arty, Liam and Bailey to deceive the blues and rob them of a victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was critical of Weightman last night. 4th quarter lift aside he was non influential for the majority of the game. Whether it’s him being played out of position or confidence he needs to have an impact

Weightman running through the midfield in the last actually surprised me. He was pretty average in the first 3 quarters but in the last he was amazingly good.
He puts his head in the hole and, if he gets a little more composure with ball in hand might be a replacement for Libba as our extraction unit. I much prefer his potential output as a ball winning mid that can go forward than as a forward who doesn't really play the front and centre role.
He likes to fly for marks which quite often doesn't help our KPFs.
I look forward to seeing his development in mid roles.
Shoutout to Caleb tonight, I thought he was amazing.
It was sort of exactly what I expected from Cody in the midfield, he’s not really super clean with the ball but he’s chaotic. You just know he’ll scrap it out with the best of them and ignite a bit of a spark in there, he won’t lose a contest without least making the opposition work for it.

I don’t think I want to see him move there full time, he’s too good forward of the ball and maybe not clean enough to be a genuine gun mid IMO. But he’s been a bit lost in the taller fwd line so having this string to his bow to rotate through as another option it gets him into the game when he’s not having an impact, and it brings us a different look inside - which we were desperate for last night.

Really good move made at the right time last night, I’m keen to see more of this

Curnow kicked one goal on Keath from a rushed kick forward. Carlton didn't win and Curnow was ineffective, playing against KeAth. Stick to what actually happened, instead of imagining what may have happened and you will make a lot more sense.

Of the 2 goals Curnow kicked, 1 fell into his lap from a dropped regulation mark. He got blanketed well, McKay was more of an issue but had his boots on the wrong feet

I was critical of Weightman last night. 4th quarter lift aside he was non influential for the majority of the game. Whether it’s him being played out of position or confidence he needs to have an impact
He was getting a bit of work on the groin during the game - I wonder if it's still troubling him.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but Aaron Naughton did an unrewarded chase from defence to half forward in the second quarter (Walsh was one of the chasees). He didn't catch either player and it still resulted in a shot at goal, but the effort and team focus was outstanding.
I cannot think of any other star full forward who does that sort of defensive gut running.
Great sign for player and club.

On Pixel 3a XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Caaarrrllton has blown the 'backs against the wall' opportunity the media orchestrated. Media were hoping to continue the saga with a "their back!" narrative. Hopefully footy media will now turn on them and realise they're not much chop. I'm still happy to continue to go under the radar.

But it is infuriating to listen to commentators who focus on one team. I watched the replay and it felt like I had tuned into a Carlton exclusive broadcast. This particularly infuriates me when we play interstate and they focus on the opposition while they should be commentating for the supporters back home who couldn't get to the game.

Even on the radio this-morning it was all about how Carlton should have won

Keath has the odd terrifying moment with ball in hand but his defending and marking is good enough and he actually runs and kicks long when he can.
Keath has gone backwards and is no longer the ultra reliable player we knew in 2021, but I still think he’s a better player than Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling were in 2016

It was sort of exactly what I expected from Cody in the midfield, he’s not really super clean with the ball but he’s chaotic. You just know he’ll scrap it out with the best of them and ignite a bit of a spark in there, he won’t lose a contest without least making the opposition work for it.

I don’t think I want to see him move there full time, he’s too good forward of the ball and maybe not clean enough to be a genuine gun mid IMO. But he’s been a bit lost in the taller fwd line so having this string to his bow to rotate through as another option it gets him into the game when he’s not having an impact, and it brings us a different look inside - which we were desperate for last night.

Really good move made at the right time last night, I’m keen to see more of this
Step too far to compare him to what Picken was? I think in terms of role and overall impact week to week, there’s no reason Weightman can’t do that for us. He’s the type of mid/forward you want filling out your team, rather than the overload of midfielders and VFL players occupying the forward line spots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back