media your favourite to least

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Least easy for me is Caroline should retire now Wilson
Most fav not realy anyone these days i like Sarah Jones as in current but my all time fav was Robert Walls but he is now retired been retired for a number of years as well say since 2017.

Ever since Dennis Commetti retired there is literally no one that comes close to his standard.

Huddo can be ok, Papalia and Matthew Pavlich are great but I really like no one else.

Mike Williamson and Butch Gale. Still alive and well on YT.
Lou the Lip and Jack the Gentleman also.
Heresy to some, but Ed McGuire was in the mix.
Currently, Hudson.
That's my long list.

There's a big difference between a presenter, a commentator, a co-commentator (special comments as you call it) and then a pundit. Often the latter two roles are conducted by the same people and there's some crossover between the first two. There are a lot of dire soccer pundits on UK TV despite what people on here would have you believe. The level of commentary is generally very high, however.

My favourite presenter and commentator would be Tim Lane but I do miss Gerard Healy on the box. Chompers is great in the SFS format. Best TV commentator is a tough one due to the paucity of talent...Papalia maybe? Favourite pundits would generally be former coaches like Blighty on SEN or the sadly retired Terry Wallace. I think Lloyd is pretty good and Buckley is an interesting listen. Lyon was brilliant last year on FC. Cornes is OK in small doses.

I neglected to mention journalists above. Again slim pickings. Is Mick Warner back in business? I don't mind Jake Niall on The Age podcast but I struggle to find footy equivalents of their cricketing counterparts. Caro is obviously well connected but she really blotted her copybook with her obvious personal bias towards Tom Morris.

Best interviewer - hands down - is Dylan Buckley.

Best commentators (currently working) - I think Joey Montagna is probably best of a fairly ordinary bunch of play callers, David King a good extrapolator, great together on first crack. Dermie has his moments where he offers genuine insight and is entertaining. Dunstall is decent and at least intelligent. Sarah Jones and Abbey Holmes are pretty good too.

I like Matty Richardson and Daisy Thomas for special comments. BT has rare moments but better for comedic value than genuine insight.

Worst - Dwayne, Robbo, Wheatley, Nat Edwards, sorry to say the Yokyai guys, Eddie Betts, Cam Ling, Jon Brown, Brad Johnson, Hamish and JB.

Last edited:
Pure play by play: Adam Papalia, Anthony Hudson, Jason Bennett.

Special Comments: Dermott Brereton, Jason Dunstall

Boundary: Don't mind Alistair Lynch.

Those at the other end of the list:

Brian Taylor ( incredible error rate in naming players correctly). James Brayshaw (just yells too much). Dwayne Russell ( actually calls the play fine with a low error rate but loses it with far too many puns and In-Jokes).

Some of the special comments are awful. Shaun Burgoyne just gives way too little genuine insight beyond what we can already see, for one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Tim Lane 'cos he uses the word "scythe" . Granland is a ballsy caller. Bennett good. Nicholson sounds castrated. Huddo a good host (AW) Don't mind Laura Spurway; in school I was attracted to those plainer girls that nevertheless had confidence and that certain 'something". Journalists? Don't like any of them, an ignoble profession 😕 though would have a beer with Jake Niall because he's Collingwood.

Least easy for me is Caroline should retire now Wilson
Most fav not realy anyone these days i like Sarah Jones as in current but my all time fav was Robert Walls but he is now retired been retired for a number of years as well say since 2017.

I miss Wallsy and his "give him a 5 to 10 minute run in the ruck" call whenever a key forward didn't have much of it in the first half.

Shaun Burgoyne is terrible as a boundary rider.

Struggles to put a sentence together.

Abbey Holmes is good at her gig.
I like Nicho and Bennett.
Not a fan of any of the Triple M boys, excluding Dale Thomas.
Adam White still my favourite radio caller, with Tim Lane.
Hamish acts like a moron.
Over Gerard and Huddo (unpopular, but I think Huddo has fallen off a little since joining radio calling again).
Underwood and Russell - I turn off the telly.
Hodge, Richo, Chris Johnson are good without standing out.
Burgoyne isn't there yet.
Montagna might be good.
Papalia is v. good.

We need new talent and please god let them be actual callers rather than ex-players.

Like Tim Lane 'cos he uses the word "scythe" . Granland is a ballsy caller. Bennett good. Nicholson sounds castrated. Huddo a good host (AW) Don't mind Laura Spurway; in school I was attracted to those plainer girls that nevertheless had confidence and that certain 'something". Journalists? Don't like any of them, an ignoble profession 😕 though would have a beer with Jake Niall because he's Collingwood.
I don’t think Laura is plain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back