• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh but he’s no down hill skier
Definitely not, but is starting to get a few miles in the legs now. Will be 30 before a ball is bounced next year.

Sloane is the more immediate issue but we also need to start planning (and recruiting) for life after Laird.

Perhaps the AFL want to ensure Dew stays on as coach at Gold Coast.

Lets think if GC got Hardwick as coach the AFL might have to deal with a powerful GC whereas with Dew they will just be a meh side - win a few, lose a few.
GC is such a basket case of a "professional" football team. Seriously, who would want to go there? When Eade went, they were still operating out of ATCO temporary offices...

The only reason any good AFL coach would want to go there would be something like a $5M cash in pocket subsidy from the AFL to make the headache worthwhile - plus all sorts of concessions to skew the competition in their favour, like Brisbane & Sydney had in the good old COLA days. It could be worse I guess - GWS with their sub 10K attendances per game.

It's a bullsh!t expansion team that (like GWS) should not have gone ahead in the first place. Tassie (and the NT) should have got teams before the additional QLD and NSW teams.

I'm not writing off our ability to win away games until we play some more away games at AFL standard venues.
Gold Coast weren't playing at the same ground we were?

Would explain our second half

Not a lot of positives from this one .

Positives:
Pedlar early was great and changed the match in our favour. Unfortunately we didn't see much of him after that.
First quarter very good.
Jones was good and seemed to be leading the fight when the momentum changed.
Dawson seemed to rack up the stats but I didn't notice him to be overly damaging.
Fogarty was pretty good.
Walker was quite good.

Bad
Selection not for the first time was was poor.
Worrell. One of our best last week and just resigns and is rewarded with SANFL. Mind boggling how stupid that move was. Instead we reward players like Sholl, McHenry, Murphy. Hinge and Smith were both poor today and it was the wrong call to drop Worrell. One of the major reasons we lost.
Hinge. Not a defender. Wake up Nicks. Wing or he doesn't play.
Rankine. Was average and the occasion was too much for him playing against his old team. I don't know why he allowed them to get in his head.
Laird. Went missing today. Enough said.
Losing Doedee put us on the back foot. Hopefully not a bad injury.
Sholl and McHenry. Two useless spuds. Just get them out and leave them out. Sholl is so physically weak that he's a liability offensively and defensively.
Nick's coaching today. He seemed out of his depth and some of his moves like taking our best defender in Murray (especially when we were already down Doedee) into the centre was just plain strange. Some worrying signs from Nicks especially with selection and match day tactics. I would be definitely talking to Hardwick as he has the runs on the board. I'm sure with our talent he would be interested. Talent alone won't win you a flag, you need a great coach as well.
Our defence was poor today. Losing Doedee didn't help but it was probably their worst performance as a backline this year.
Soligo. Not a good game.

Ugly.
Umpires.
Jones call and Nicks not calling it out post match. He should know that the umpire needs to call the player back to the mark before giving a 50. Why not state that.
Playing in Darwin.
Watching some of gc players dominate us.
A carbon copy of most of our losses this year. Play well for a couple of quarters and get dominated the rest.

Last edited:
The only people that seem to think Nicks is in any danger live on this board
He is below mediocre

I prefer not repeating same mistakes year after year

Nicks is contracted until the end of next year, there's no way he's getting sacked this season unless we capitulate in the second half of the season. However, like I said in the GD thread, we should not be thinking about extending him. Finals are non-negotiable next season and if we're stuck in the same position or have gone backwards, then it can't be justified keeping him on after that.
I look forward to another mediocre at best season in 24 then

Sounds fun

Been a bit quiet on the Burgess front.

Adelaide Crows first halves - won 8 lost 3 drawn 1. Points for 560 - Points Against 483.
Adelaide Crows 2nd halves - Won 6 lost 5 drawn 1. Points for 504 - Points Against 528.

The only two teams who have conceded more points in the last quarter in 2023 are West Coast and North Melbourne.

We had leads in the last quarter against the Giants & Suns before getting convincingly beaten. We gave up a huge lead against the Pies in the last quarter. We got within a point of Richmond before getting blown out.

It’s almost like we are still a young team that isn’t quite there yet
Gold Coast were the same age as us and our midfield is full of our most experienced players

Same ol same ol

Difference between this year and all the previous is a couple nice wins which will likely save his job

And doom us to more of the same next season
Yeah, dispiriting, isn't it? We had "a couple nice wins" last year, as well.
Last week's good bounce-back win made many of us think they'd get it done last night, but no.
They had a chance to go 7-5 with a likely %-boosting win at AO the week after that.
8-5 was an opportunity waiting to be seized. Now, they're back in the pack of wannabe try-hards, jostling to grasp at the straw of an Elimination Final.

The L-W-L-W-L pattern of the last 5 games suggests an odd mindset ie at HOME, they make it happen. AWAY, they wait for it to happen.
At the Royal Adelaide Show years ago, they had a miniature "roller-coaster" called the Mad Mouse whose jerky cornering terrified me as a kid of about 10. It was about a 7-minute ride; I've never been on it since.
I hated it, and I'm hating the ride the Crows are giving us as well. It's lasting for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen game, only listened to three quarters on radio.

No matter how good we were I don't think we were winning this game...umpiring fix was in.

That said, I'd say we got spanked in the ruck and since we rely on that so bad (and we seem to have no real plan B) the rest of our game plan was stuffed as a result. When I get a chance to look at replay the ruck is what I'll be especially watching.

Also got beat pretty bad at the contest, we were -40, I'll look at that also, was it a product of the ruck thing or might we have been pretty sore after the Bris game?

Not the first time Witts has "owned" him either. Nicks dragged him for Murray to go into ruck as a statement, before putting him back on... and he still sucked.

Next week is time for another bold statement - ROB should be dropped. It's West Coast at home so we should get away with it. But it's still got to sting.
People often comment on the inconsistency of the sub-50-ish game players, as if their youth condemns them to inconsistent performances.
What then of the senior players like ROB (former BnF and part of the leadership group) who played really well vs Brisbane?
Michalanney is 19 years and 4 months old, but his consistency is putting older players to shame.

The usual thread after a loss. Rankine "isn't getting it done"? Come on, the bloke has kicked goals in 11 games straight. Missed 2 shots this week.

Rachelle "down hill skier"? Be real... kid has played 25 games and has just turned 20... sorry if he isn't at Bonts level...

We just beat the 2nd best team in the comp who had won 7 in a row and weeks earlier pushed the best team in the comp to a 1 point loss. But sack Nick's right? He must be clueless.

And DONT underplay that team! Gold Coast are much like us. Fairly young side. They just beat the bulldogs who were on a roll. They pushed Melbourne to 5 points. Flogged Richmond in Melbourne. And also beat Geelong! They aren't a bad side, they are an inconsistent side like us.

Swear half this board is Bi-Polar or something like that.

Nicks is an idiot sometimes. Some of his decision making like Murray in the ruck?
Keays and Sloane in the middle when we were getting slaughtered..
Keeping Butts on King.
People whinge when he doesn't try something and whinge when he does... Perhaps there is a reason behind it.

Nicks is contracted until the end of next year, there's no way he's getting sacked this season unless we capitulate in the second half of the season. However, like I said in the GD thread, we should not be thinking about extending him.
Looking past the bye, I have the sinking feeling that we've seen the best of the Crows in their home wins and that's as good as it's going to get this year.
I can see improvement from 2022 to now, but the struggle for consistency worries me --- why could they not repeat last Sunday's endeavour and toughness?
My guess is it's because the Senior players seem unable to string together 2 or 3 or 4 really good games in a row, putting immense extra pressure on the younger players.

And DONT underplay that team! Gold Coast are much like us. Fairly young side. They just beat the bulldogs who were on a roll. They pushed Melbourne to 5 points. Flogged Richmond in Melbourne. And also beat Geelong! They aren't a bad side, they are an inconsistent side like us.
Very good point about GCS.
Swear half this board is Bi-Polar or something like that.
A bit like the Crows.

Longest holiday I’ve ever taken, happy with the timing!
Bon Voyage!
Are you going to France? If yes, make sure you buy a baguette early in the day to tuck under your arm when you walk around (or you'll look like a tourist).
Mmmmmm, baguette/ cheeses/ red wine ...etc.

Why was Murray in the ruck so much when we were exposed defensively?

Could have done with Worrell…..

Sloane should have been rested, his form is getting worse given the key position he plays. crowsup you see this an example of making a call prior to the event that was correct.

9 goals in a row is pathetic as was the capitulation in the last.

I understand with a young team learning to win on the road is tricky but how does that explains senior players sucking?

I didn’t listen to the broadcast but how much trouble are we in for Doedee using a mobile during the game? I thought that was a big no no and haven’t we been warned about this before?

Back