Autopsy 2023 Rd 13 Another loss. Devoid of headline material

Remove this Banner Ad

What drives me mad the most is the weight of scoring opportunities v actual score.
We are going at 15% . It's downright disgusting. Our ball movement going forward has not changed even though it is blatantly clear that we aren't kicking enough goals per week .
Surely they realise that 6 goals per week isn't going to cut the mustard.
Would rather go down swinging having kicked 12-15 goals a week coz at least that way the players are looking for different avenues to goal

TDK - Wtaf is going on here. Clueless taps, trying to get into handball chains after the tap like he's an outside mid instead of blocking, running McKay's forward patterns and all in all flailing like a fish out of water at any possible mark.

He's just not improved at all. Not even in the methodology let alone execution.

If that's our coaching level and cook/ Sayers are happy with it then so be it. I have had more success coaching skills like that in half the time with young adults who have questionable care factor and work ethic. Maybe I'm being too harsh but I don't see improvement in him this year with or without pitto playing. Feel it's a bit of a symptom of.whats happened to the whole group too.

Perhaps they decided to 'empower' the group to do skills etc in their own time. Would explain the apparent utter lack of skill progression, not everyone is an independent worker and improver.

What drives me mad the most is the weight of scoring opportunities v actual score.
We are going at 15% . It's downright disgusting. Our ball movement going forward has not changed even though it is blatantly clear that we aren't kicking enough goals per week .
Surely they realise that 6 goals per week isn't going to cut the mustard.
Would rather go down swinging having kicked 12-15 goals a week coz at least that way the players are looking for different avenues to goal
They have changed the movement going forward, it's just that none of them can cope with the pressure of finishing.

Young is a ******* disgrace and has been since he came here. Cannot believe we signed that scarecrow up for 3 years. Useless
100% probably one of the worst defensive efforts ive ever seen and ive seen alot at this club literally every time it went to there forward line he was 20m off Wright, Wright would of been laughing to himself thinking is young even going to come near me
Fact is if Grimes played on Wright last night he wouldn't of kicked a goal
So there is 5 gosls and then the 7 or 8 we should have kicked and its a easy win to us

Our one biggest issue is speed. Particularly in the midfield. Also the smalls up forward.

They blew us to bits in the third term because we simply couldn't lay a hand on them. You can't tackle if you can't catch them. I've read the whole thread and liked a total of 3 posts because they address this obvious issue. Genuine question - how many really poor, half-hearted, broken tackles did people see? There would have been some, but it didn't stand out as a glaring issue to me.

Our backline is ok for speed, but we have the useless impediment making us impotent against any form of organised entry. Saad, Cincotta, Boyd, Kemp and Gov all have enough speed to surround Weiters. We also have Williams to come back. It's the reason Doc has been pushed up the ground - to add a semblance of pace to a more needed area.

Martin showed how important he can be when he was up and running. Unfortunately his fitness didn't allow him to do it for long enough, and is informative when considering Cunners. We desperately need him, but not just for one quarter of effectiveness. Durdin at least has speed relative to the other 2. They just can't run anyone down.

Our midfield is diabolically slow. Cerra and Walsh (when fully right) are about it. The game-style has gone past having a mix of Cripps, Kennedy, Ed and Hewett. Doesn't help when the opposition have 2 competent ruckmen and we have half a one. One of those mids can be in there at any given time. You'd like to think it would be the reigning Brownlow medalist, but god I hope he is carrying something to explain what is going on.

We have a team that would have been really competitive at the start of our rebuild. I don't see what game plan can accommodate the slowest midfield in the comp. Everything we do is under heat, which means average entries, difficult shots and the resultant turd of a scoreboard.

By far the lowest and least interested I've felt in 34 years following this club and anyone my age or lower will tell you we've had nothing but lows that whole time.

Putting the cups on display last night means absolutely * all to me and a couple of generations of supporters now. Sick of hearing about the glory days. We live so far in the past it translates to being so far behind in every part of the game every single year.

Cant see anything changing. In fact it's going backwards at a rate of knots.
Perhaps this is the biggest consideration
Are we sure hanging in there will bring success eventually?
Or
Will it damage us further?
How far down do we go?
You'd want to be really sure it's worth it.

the days of heading to port melbourne and jumping into the ocean after a loss are over. these blokes will be sipping on lattes today, doing their podcasts and posting s**t on insta.

these guys don't know what battle scars really are let alone appreciate the word rivalry.

it a numbers game. build the hype, fill the seats and worry about the next week. something is seriously broken and a pivot is inevitable now.
Gone are the days of "bring ya mouth guard to training boys".

Our one biggest issue is speed. Particularly in the midfield. Also the smalls up forward.

They blew us to bits in the third term because we simply couldn't lay a hand on them. You can't tackle if you can't catch them. I've read the whole thread and liked a total of 3 posts because they address this obvious issue. Genuine question - how many really poor, half-hearted, broken tackles did people see? There would have been some, but it didn't stand out as a glaring issue to me.

Our backline is ok for speed, but we have the useless impediment making us impotent against any form of organised entry. Saad, Cincotta, Boyd, Kemp and Gov all have enough speed to surround Weiters. We also have Williams to come back. It's the reason Doc has been pushed up the ground - to add a semblance of pace to a more needed area.

Martin showed how important he can be when he was up and running. Unfortunately his fitness didn't allow him to do it for long enough, and is informative when considering Cunners. We desperately need him, but not just for one quarter of effectiveness. Durdin at least has speed relative to the other 2. They just can't run anyone down.

Our midfield is diabolically slow. Cerra and Walsh (when fully right) are about it. The game-style has gone past having a mix of Cripps, Kennedy, Ed and Hewett. Doesn't help when the opposition have 2 competent ruckmen and we have half a one. One of those mids can be in there at any given time. You'd like to think it would be the reigning Brownlow medalist, but god I hope he is carrying something to explain what is going on.

We have a team that would have been really competitive at the start of our rebuild. I don't see what game plan can accommodate the slowest midfield in the comp. Everything we do is under heat, which means average entries, difficult shots and the resultant turd of a scoreboard.
Same midfield group that was busting out of the middle last year?

What are you talking about Soft? We've played like a bottom 4 side since round 2 and we have a lost that should be contending. It's a ******* disgrace. Only thing soft about this club is its performance on field.
Supporters aren't soft. - easier to turn on fellow man that the club for some though.

Supporters aren't soft. - easier to turn on fellow man that the club for some though.
Yep, Club is dishing up garbage on and off the field, supporters still selling out games at the MCG and Marvel. Fans are the only thing not soft about the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nothing to do with "speed".

ffs.

Yes, if our blokes are stationary and their opponents are accelerating, no chance of catching them.

That's speed of mind not leg speed.

Our blokes think and play like they had a few bongs before the game....

motlop up forward is a liability presently. Should be developing in the 2s.

Owies is fine provided he converts.

By far the lowest and least interested I've felt in 34 years following this club and anyone my age or lower will tell you we've had nothing but lows that whole time.

Putting the cups on display last night means absolutely * all to me and a couple of generations of supporters now. Sick of hearing about the glory days. We live so far in the past it translates to being so far behind in every part of the game every single year.

Cant see anything changing. In fact it's going backwards at a rate of knots.
This right here.

The most "success" I've seen is us winning a few elimination finals and finishing 5th in the regular season.

I’ve seen so many clubs be in our position i.e. bottom of the ladder move past us and win flags yet we can’t even make finals (Hawks 2004, Pies 2005, Richmond 2007, Melbourne 2008 and WCE 2010).

After last year I really thought we were finally at the turning point but nope. I’ve emotionally checked out.

I heard “nourishment” dropped into last nights commenatry. No way that wasn’t in reference to Voss. 😂
I've heard it used by several AFL coaches and in commentary before, it's just one of those buzzwords. I remember Bolton using it when he was coaching us too.

ffs.

Yes, if our blokes are stationary and their opponents are accelerating, no chance of catching them.

So Cripps, Ed, Kennedy and Hewett all have leg speed do they?

Collective plodders and nothing to do with their "minds".

Owies is smart with positioning and it's a pity he's not taller. He is still slow by league standards in that role though.

Last edited:
I feel like there was no backup plan made for "What if Merret plays" forward. Seems like we were scrambling for this positional change.

Only brightside is Kemp/Charlie/Cerra are the only players on the list that hasn't gone backwards.

Mostly everyone else either has dipped in form or lost a lot of confidence.

Saad too can hold his head high. Not sure Kemp has done enough to be in the head held high group. Weitering has improved the last few weeks.

But seriously when Harry kicked that goal in the second term it felt like we had all the momentum and were about to go crunch. But the Bombers simply slipped into another gear and overan us.

Just on Voss, not his fault we were 2.9 that's just shight from the players.

Some may use it as an excuse or as a reason, but I don't think bad goal kicking was necessarily a big factor, despite what the scoreline says.

When we were playing that fast, play on run and carry game in the first half we were generating shots and marks, however if you look at where those shots/marks were they still weren't in very good positions. I think of our first 5 behinds 3 were from Charlie kicking outside 50 and another was Jack Martin taking a set shot from 50m on an angle. The other was a bad snap from H who went the low route for some reason and got rushed through. So of the first 5 behinds only 1 was a bad miss.

So while we were getting shots off and the scoreboard might suggest "hey the play fast game worked early but it was just bad goal kicking that let them down" isn't entirely true, they were generally low % shots being taken. The connection from mids to forwards was still lacking and we still weren't putting our forwards in good positions to convert.

ffs.

This is it 100%. Even the slowest of teams can look fast with precise quick ball movement. That's all it takes. We're not lacking leg speed, we're lacking speed of ball movement. Too stagnant.

This right here.

The most "success" I've seen is us winning a few elimination finals and finishing 5th in the regular season.

I’ve seen so many clubs be in our position i.e. bottom of the ladder move past us and win flags yet we can’t even make finals (Hawks 2004, Pies 2005, Richmond 2007, Melbourne 2008 and WCE 2010).

After last year I really thought we were finally at the turning point but nope. I’ve emotionally checked out.
Gws made a grand final starting from scratch, st Kilda have yo yo up and down multiple times. Freo had a peak at the top. Nice. Only Essendon are as bad. But they beat us so can't even laugh at their shitness for now

Not with pace though. We caught sides off guard early last year. We dominated contested ball by

So Cripps, Ed, Kennedy and Hewett all have leg speed do they?

Collective plodders and nothing to do with their "minds".

Owies is smart with positioning and it's a pity he's not taller. He is still slow by league standards in that role though.

I'd hazard a guess that all 4, if fit, have more leg speed than a Tom Libba or Tom Mitchell or Ollie Wines (as a few examples)

2 of those 4 clearly ain't fit. Possibly Kennedy too.

And Owies is not slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back