Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough luck today guys, having to travel the week before then having to back it up is always a big ask.

We played horribly but still could’ve stolen it at the end. We have a few players returning after the bye, that will make us better, so looking forward to the second half of the season....

McCreery and Josh were definitely not at their healthiest today either.
Plenty of upside
McCreery hasn't been himself since Anzac Day. He hasn't run with the same intensity and appears second to the ball.

His decision-making is also a bit flawed at times - often choosing to kick long instead of continuing a handball chain or drawing a player, when his kicking requires some improvement.

Noble concerns me. He’s a workhorse. Gives so much effort and I love that about him, but he’s too small and is always out marked and he turns it over a lot. If it’s not kicked to opposition, it’s out on the full. I think when we get a few players back, he’d be one I’d have on the chopping block.

We were largely outplayed I thought.
And basic errors today was uncharacteristic.
I wonder how much the illness affected certain players but John Noble…had a nightmare:

Pendles…had a nightmare and the worst I’ve seen him play in a long time.

Game was on their terms for 90%.

Hopefully the coaching staff get the learnings they need from that and set us up for a strong second half of season.

You forgot to mention every single bounce took a Melbourne break and fell straight into their arms. Arse beats class

Agree, they got the rub of the green, but the old saying is you make your own luck. I thought they held their structures better which allowed them to take advantage of those quirky ball bounces. Then when we did get the bounce, retaining structure meant they were well placed to shut us down. All in all, they out-worked us for longer periods.

“Managed “ is what was reported but heaps of people suggesting he was out on the town last night.
Maybe the decision had already been made for him to have a spell today and the club permitted him to go out?

If he has misbehaved, I expect the club will confirm this in time. McRae doesn't seem to cover these things up and prefers to put it out in the open befoe moving on.

Unfortunate but the Dees are quality and they got us today. Gave us a bit to work on, in particular in the midfield and our transition through the forward line.

Going to be an interesting finals series no doubt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just did a word search in the autopsy thread for that game, couldn’t find flu, covid or cold, so i question that people used the flu as an excuse for that loss
One player, Josh Daicos, formerly two I think, including Moore, were isolated at some stage with some of flu-like thing, if not flu, some similar evil by-product of a Melbourne Winter.

When we thought all was lost, he emerged, like the messiah from behind a rolled-aside rock, to the waiting press gallery to announce his wellness to the world. And he did indeed on an HD TV channel that evening seem to exude new found health and vigour.

So if he was the tip of the flu iceberg, there would seem to be little to keep it afloat beneath the surface. It's a myth.

Noble concerns me. He’s a workhorse. Gives so much effort and I love that about him, but he’s too small and is always out marked and he turns it over a lot. If it’s not kicked to opposition, it’s out on the full. I think when we get a few players back, he’d be one I’d have on the chopping block.
Worst post of the year

"Infinitely better than anyone"?

Hard to discuss with people who can't accept that life isn't black/white or on/off./ I get what you mean -- it was a better bet.

It is an issue otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. And it's not just me who has suggested this.
who would you have given a game to ahead of Lipinski that would have performed better.

That was painful to watch. But we played like shit and almost won. I think some of the boys had checked-in to their holidays. I'm confident we'll bounce back after the bye.

Replace WHE, HH and Reef with McStay, Elliott and Ginnivan and we win today.

I know Johnson was awful today,but in his defence maybe he was carrying an injury.Last week he copped a bad corkie late in the game,and it could have affected his performance.I remember in the finals last year,he copped a bad corkie against Geelong,and was practically invisible in the two finals after that.Maybe he’s just one of those players who can’t play with a slight injury?I don’t know.But something was terribly off with him today.

Noble concerns me…

If it’s not kicked to opposition, it’s out on the full.
giphy.gif

Our contest work has been down over the last few weeks and it showed today, Viney and co beat us around the footy and that was the difference.

They got clearance dominance, which turned into territory dominance due to their very good defensive structure.

Bye comes at a good time, 11-2 a very good position to be in.

Eagles and Roos Destroyed it in Ruck Contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back