Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Not concerned. We looked flat. Quite a few players down on form. Reminded me of that game last year when many were reportedly affected/recovering from the flu. Week before the bye. Few important players out. Dee's probably played their best game for the year & we only lost by 4 points with 20 seconds left.

Bye has come at the perfect time & they'll learn a lot from this loss.

We had an off day. Adams can hold his head high.

A lot of players down. Both Daicoses, Pendlebury, Lipinski (who shouldn't have played), Mcnnis, McReery -- all average today.

Some questions have been asked:

What does our best forward line look like? Johnson has put some doubts into everyone's heads. Needs to develop his all round game because if he doesn't mark it, he's a non-factor. I suspect McStay or Kreuger might send him back to the VFL.

Harrison played well enough to get another run.

Our rucks were taught lessons but by the best rucks in the business. We knew that was likely.

Ultimately, we need DeGoey back, Elliot fit, Sidebottom back on the wing, and we'll be a much better team.
Why shouldn't Lippa have played? He kicked 2 goals and now has a full game under his belt ..

Flu had ZERO to do with it in Flys presser. His words

Hi, still here. I won't be joining your Bambi hunt and trophy session. I think Nick Daicos would go somewhere else if Beaker was being forced out. I also think Frampton might more profitably ruck rather than Noble lose his spot. Sure he has his weaknesses, but who else plays his role? Maynard was really off tonight with his disposal.

Sorry, who are you?

He'd never use that as an excuse...but Josh for example, did not look his usual sharp self...
He won’t ever use it as an excuse.
It was real though and the true extent of it may never be known.

Sounds like a pretty poor game. Not so sad I missed this one now, though sucks stewing on a loss for two weeks.

Oh well, I can always load up Rd23 2022 again on Kayo.

I'm not really suggesting to change it all to fit in noble, more the point I don't think we will play all of Moore, Murphy, Howe and Frampton in the same backline, it's too slow and I think one misses out, it's not Moore

Time will tell. I'd suggest only Howe's inability to get back from his injury is the only thing that will preclude Moore, Murphy, Howe and Frampton all playing in the same backline.

Disappointing result, but Melbourne deserved to win. Bad kicking from them kept us in it. I admire our ability to keep fighting even when we were down and out. Today was no exception on this front.

Melbourne's pressure was the best I've seen from any opposition this year. We never looked comfortable disposing of the ball and we were fumbling it around too often. Melbourne's ability to cut off our run and carry game through the middle also rattled our structures.

Our forwards were largely kept quiet from Melbourne's intercept defenders in May, Lever, Tomlinson and Salem. I was concerned about May and Lever pre-match that if we didn't make them accountable, our forwards would struggle.

The sky isn't falling in. Never a good feeling to lose, but we're still in a very good position going forward. We're on top and I expect to see several big name players back in the team post-bye. De Goey, Sidebottom, Elliott, Ginnivan, McStay and Howe will strengthen us significantly.

According to the geniuses at Footy classified tonight,we had Degoey out and they had Oliver out,so it evened it out in the end.No mention of the other five best 22 players we had out.Great analysts those guys.🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't win em all.

Never did I feel we were in control of the game; not even in the first quarter when we had a lead. Just didn't feel like a confident lead, and turns out it wasn't. We were off, didn't play the way we knew we could.

Melbourne were clearly the better side on the day and if we had stolen that, it's what it would have been.. a steal.

Lets hope it is the loss we needed to have. We haven't really been playing 4 quarters of good football lately, and almost limping to the bye. So the break probably comes at a good time when they can refresh, then start again next week.

I'm not sure why there is critiques of Lippa playing. He admitted he was a bit nervous at first, but I thought he had a good first game. Especially given it's his first proper game since the prelim, and first compeitive game since feb. He'll be happy to have gotten through that.
Needs to play a bit higher up the ground though, as he is being wasted in the F50. We had no connection between mids and forwards, and that's what he provides.

The game today was a real focal of why we recruited Mcstay. Nobody could mark or create a contest up forward, or down the line. For someone his size. Cox kept getting outmarked when he shoudn't have.
Checkers.. was off, being forced to do it all himself, he is one that benefits from Mcstay being in the team.

HH, very solid 2nd game in his career. I think we might have found one here. Not only is he a nice kid, but has some real footy smarts. Could have easily kicked from 50, but instead found Cox closer to goal.
12 Disposals @ 100% EFF 3 tackles. 4 score involvements. His pressure was good as well.

It was a very high pressure game, and they just put the heat on and we just weren't able to handle it. It was an almost finals like game with the way it was played. We are 11-2, I think we can survive a loss here and there. it's not the end of the world.

Now we take a breath, and then go again for the 2nd half of the year.

Can't win em all.

Never did I feel we were in control of the game; not even in the first quarter when we had a lead. Just didn't feel like a confident lead, and turns out it wasn't. We were off, didn't play the way we knew we could.

Melbourne were clearly the better side on the day and if we had stolen that, it's what it would have been.. a steal.

Lets hope it is the loss we needed to have. We haven't really been playing 4 quarters of good football lately, and almost limping to the bye. So the break probably comes at a good time when they can refresh, then start again next week.

I'm not sure why there is critiques of Lippa playing. He admitted he was a bit nervous at first, but I thought he had a good first game. Especially given it's his first proper game since the prelim, and first compeitive game since feb. He'll be happy to have gotten through that.
Needs to play a bit higher up the ground though, as he is being wasted in the F50. We had no connection between mids and forwards, and that's what he provides.

The game today was a real focal of why we recruited Mcstay. Nobody could mark or create a contest up forward, or down the line. For someone his size. Cox kept getting outmarked when he shoudn't have.
Checkers.. was off, being forced to do it all himself, he is one that benefits from Mcstay being in the team.

HH, very solid 2nd game in his career. I think we might have found one here. Not only is he a nice kid, but has some real footy smarts. Could have easily kicked from 50, but instead found Cox closer to goal.
12 Disposals @ 100% EFF 3 tackles. 4 score involvements. His pressure was good as well.

It was a very high pressure game, and they just put the heat on and we just weren't able to handle it. It was an almost finals like game with the way it was played. We are 11-2, I think we can survive a loss here and there. it's not the end of the world.

Now we take a breath, and then go again for the 2nd half of the year.
Well said Jen. The negative nancie's are getting a bit carried away with a 4 point loss.

We looked flat, a few others down on form, a few important players missing.

Lippa kicked 2 and I'm sure he's relieved to get through that game.

They'll learn a lot from that loss.

Every player makes mistakes in high pressure games - even Pendles and Bruzzy made howlers today.
Of course - Noble's errors however seem to be more prevalent than those of Pendles or Bruz, and more frequent. Some players are capable of elevating their performance in important games, while others can let the occasion get the better of them.

In my opinion Pendles sits in the former category and Noble more in the latter. The fact that Pendles had a poor game today is an aberration; Noble however is a player that to me seems more susceptible to increased pressure.

Of course - Noble's errors however seem to be more prevalent than those of Pendles or Bruz, and more frequent. Some players are capable of elevating their performance in important games, while others can let the occasion get the better of them.

In my opinion Pendles sits in the former category and Noble more in the latter. The fact that Pendles had a poor game today is an aberration; Noble however is a player that to me seems more susceptible to increased pressure.
Defenders mistakes are always more noticeable... probably why they are also under the most pressure not to make any.

We had an off day, mate. Pendles was missing kicks he’d hit in his sleep. Johnson was dropping marks that Chris Dawes would take. J.Daicos was fumbling the pill like it was a bar of soap. Reef missed a goal that was harder to miss than kick. Even the bounce of the ball wasn’t going our way. It was an aberration, learn what we can and move on to the next one.
I agree totally. Nothing worked today and we move on. This happens to every team. However, BF supporters are underselling how well Melbourne played and if Melbourne had kicked straighter it would have better reflected their win

Maybe I'm being harsh and I understand people being frustrated, but I was disappointed to see some of our fans leave early today.

It just seems a little mind-blowing to me that fans would leave early for a team that's renowned for late comebacks.

Nobles run and carry link play, and tireless line breaking is far more important than his occasional mistake.
As a past whipping boy he is always judged harshly.

Who would do a better job?

Defenders mistakes are always more noticeable... probably why they are also under the most pressure not to make any.
I don't think anyone's saying that no-one else makes errors, or that defenders are more or less prone to errors. There are players whose decision making and ability to execute under pressure is far better than others (i.e. Darcy Moore) - Noble in my opinion makes more errors than our other backs, particularly when the pressure is dialled up.
Nobles run and carry link play, and tireless line breaking is far more important than his occasional mistake.
As a past whipping boy he is always judged harshly.

Who would do a better job?
As I posted earlier, Markov is worth exploring as an alternative. He also provides run and carry and seems to know his limitations.

We won't know though if certain players are immune to criticism or seen in a particular light by some who perceive them to be a 'past whipping boy'.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's saying that no-one else makes errors, or that defenders are more or less prone to errors. There are players whose decision making and ability to execute under pressure is far better than others (i.e. Darcy Moore) - Noble in my opinion makes more errors than our other backs, particularly when the pressure is dialled up.

As I posted earlier, Markov is worth exploring as an alternative. He also provides run and carry and seems to know his limitations.

We won't know though if certain players are immune to criticism or seen in a particular light by some who perceive him to be a 'past whipping boy'.
Noble also never, ever gives up. He never hangs his head after making a mistake, he just keeps going. He's one of those players who when he does make a few errors seems to really cop the ire of some supporters. He's saved us many, many times too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back