Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

Martin is a huge loss. Massive. Hard to replace what he does every week.

Huge risk bringing in JSOS straight in to week 2 of finals having missed so much footy, however we don’t have a choice. Simply has to play.

Bring in SOS and Motlop and go with a mosquito-fleet crumbing Curnow, SOS, TDK. Majority of collingwood’s goals on Thursday night were from small/ medium forwards + midfielders, so it can be done.

In all honesty other the the ok ruck contest
Pittonet gives absolutely nothing around the ground but he seems to get a game on that
My ideale ruck combo is Tdk and Jsos to chop out but i think Pittonet will keep playing as the match committee seem to like him

In all honesty other the the ok ruck contest
Pittonet gives absolutely nothing around the ground but he seems to get a game on that
My ideale ruck combo is Tdk and Jsos to chop out but think Pittonet will keep player as the match committee seem to like him
I think its important to throw 2 rucks at Gawn. TDK and Pitto did a reasonable job on him last time

Martin is a huge loss. Massive. Hard to replace what he does every week.

Huge risk bringing in JSOS straight in to week 2 of finals having missed so much footy, however we don’t have a choice. Simply has to play.

Bring in SOS and Motlop and go with a mosquito-fleet crumbing Curnow, SOS, TDK. Majority of collingwood’s goals on Thursday night were from small/ medium forwards + midfielders, so it can be done.
And also dont bomb it in to the forwardline
as Melbourne thrive off it

I'm going to assume that we will be without Harry, Martin and Acres. Big losses.

I'd bring in one of JSOS or Kennedy to fill the Martin role. No preference on my end.
One of Hollands or Fisher for Acres. I'm leaning towards Dutchy.
And then I'd look at maybe bringing Boyd or Fisher to play down back and swing Gov forward to take Harry's role.
Motlop promoted to the starting team.

Brayshaw is a big loss for them. If they deliver inside 50 like they did against the Pies, Weiters, Kemp and Marchy will lap it up.
JVR isn't as big a loss, but hurts them a bit structurally and may force them to play Grundy.

Martin would be a massive loss, I have no doubt we will take any suspension to the highest appeals tribunal

If he does miss, still believe Voss will play another mid size/3rd tall marking option

Yep, Kennedy is a Monty for that role

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 1797950

Martin definitely misses IMO.

Careless + Medium impact + High = 1 week

Blakey came off the ground so impact can’t be low.

Think we’ll appeal it in an attempt to downgrade it to low impact and lose.
Tend to agree. Hopefully they start at intentional, low and high contact and we can argue intentional down to careless. It's probably our best bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Carry him”… Sorry but what? You’re saying that as if he did nothing tonight. 21 disposals, 14 of the contested. Plus a goal. Pretty good return I reckon.
It's reasonable under the circumstances, but only 3 clearances, which is well below par.
I know it would've been damn near impossible to stop him from playing last night and next week as well, but it's reasonable to ask if we would've got similar from Dow, whilst giving Cripps an extra week.

I get the counter that it's an elimination and there's no guarantee of a next week and you want to put your best players on the field, but I think it's a fair conversation.

I'm going to assume that we will be without Harry, Martin and Acres. Big losses.

I'd bring in one of JSOS or Kennedy to fill the Martin role. No preference on my end.
One of Hollands or Fisher for Acres. I'm leaning towards Dutchy.
And then I'd look at maybe bringing Boyd or Fisher to play down back and swing Gov forward to take Harry's role.
Motlop promoted to the starting team.

Brayshaw is a big loss for them. If they deliver inside 50 like they did against the Pies, Weiters, Kemp and Marchy will lap it up.
JVR isn't as big a loss, but hurts them a bit structurally and may force them to play Grundy.

Acres will get a jab no problem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is JSOS fit ?
I reckon acres plays
Kennedy in for Martin if he’s suspended
Can't see Acres getting up. Looks like he shouldn't have played last night. He was great, but in so much pain and clearly made it worse.

Firstly, not a real fan of the type of ruckman Pitto is compared to those that can be a threat forward

If truly fit, I could understand Jsos coming in and possibly partner TDK against Gawn and say McDonald

But, when fit Pitto has always been selected due to how he assists our contested clearance game

We saw the plan with Pitto and TDK last time against the Demons/Gawn, watch a replay, it was extremely smart coaching/implementation

So, I'd go as far as saying that there would be no chance Pitto is dropped against the Demons and or the rest of the year if we progress

If Goodwin has half a brain he’ll play Grundy in the ruck and Gawn at full forward. Would be very hard to combat.

They are toothless in terms of KPFs and the logical move is to sacrifice a bit in the ruck for a whole lot more up forward.
Goodwin has tried that. Gawns been rubbish and they struggled with that setup. So if he indeed is missing one half of his brain he might do this. Here's hoping.

Call me crazy, but do we consider:

- Silvagni (if fit) and Motlop straight swaps for Martin and McKay with Someone like a Kennedy as a sub. TDK plays a little more up forward and JSOS rotates with Pitto.

or

- Push Cripps up forward. Bring in Dow for the middle. Motlop comes in anyway. And have either JSOS or someone like Hollands as the sub. Cripps wasn't exactly fantastic in the middle last night. Still looked very sore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back