Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on the Kreuger train. Not because I envisaged him winning contests, but I envisaged him halving a lot more than Billy. Billy is more likely to stick a big mark though.
I'm heavy on the anti-Kreuger train only from what I saw today at training. If Kreuger's dropping multiple no-pressure marks at training, I shudder to think the one's he'll drop in-game. And it's not anything personal either, Kreugs is a great bloke and has been servant of this club.

Frampton allows us to retain our fwd structure - the idea we would experiment in a GF with WHE or going small is just lunacy.
It's not really experimenting, how many times have we done it this year through both choice and necessity. It's our go to in the last quarter and a half - sub out a tall and go small. And it's what we have when we rotate the talks during games. And if Billy has a s**t week on the track it'll be our go to on Saturday.

Last edited:
Keeffe played as backup ruckman, he wasn’t brought in to do anything special up forward. Riccardi and Hogan were their main targets. We need someone who can replace McStay’s role up forward not Cox’.

Sure, but if Moore’s not on Keeffe he’s on Hogan. If Andrews isn’t on Frampton, he’s on Mihocek. We need Mihocek to kick us a score on Saturday. Frampton kicking more than one would be a great result.

Sure, but if Moore’s not on Keeffe he’s on Hogan. If Andrews isn’t on Frampton, he’s on Mihocek. We need Mihocek to kick us a score on Saturday. Frampton kicking more than one would be a great result.
Keeffe has kicked one goal for the season, so Big Bad Billy is already well ahead.

Frampton allows us to retain our fwd structure - the idea we would experiment in a GF with WHE or going small is just lunacy.
I never suggested WHE so you can't accuse me of lunacy. I also wanted to maintain the forward structure, though with Kreuger not Frampton. One way or another we are going to be experimenting in the GF.

let's just agree to disagree.

where they've played their entire careers prior to crossing to the Pies isn't irrelevant ..they're not 18 year olds, they're 24 yo (kreuger) and 26 yo (frampton) respectively

kreuger has been playing vfl against vfl calibre defenders and doing ok'ish. if you close your eyes you can almost ignore the fact that he's gone done with shoulder / knee / ankle ..injury / soreness / awareness and/or concussion in nearly every one of those vfl games.

have you also looked at his last 5 senior performances at afl level

the longer Kreuger's absence the more he becomes a hybrid of Carey, Carmen, Quinlan & Lockett

He kicked 2.0 goals and 2.2 goals in rounds 2 and 5 in 2022 and since then his stats (in senior games):
_Rnd 6 anzac ‘22 v Ess: 0 disposals; 0.0 goals; shoulder -> injured early 2Q > 25% TOG
_QF ‘22: v Gee; 1 disposals; 0.0 goals; subbed on early Q4 > 9% TOG
_Prelim ‘22: v Swans; 4 disposals; 0.1 goals; subbed on mid Q4 > 35% TOG
_Rnd 6 ‘23: v Ess; 5 disposals; 0.0 goals; injured late 3Q > 40% TOG
_Rnd 7 anzac ‘23: v Adel; 5 disposals; 0.0 goals; injured shoulder early > 12% TOG

go back and watch the Anzac day game, he's miles off the pace

ps: just for clarification, i'm not saying Frampton will win Normie (and i can see the same weaknesses you can), it's just that i can't see any justification /rationale for playing Kreuger in front of him. If AJ was fit, he'd be straight in ..

I stopped reading that pulp when you said you wanted to agree to disagree

I'm heavy on the anti-Kreuger train only from what I saw today at training. If Kreuger's dropping multiple no-pressure marks at training, I shudder to think the one's he'll drop in-game. And it's not anything personal either, Kreugs is a great bloke and has been servant of this club.
If Frampton plays forward, he will be lucky to get 3-4 possessions and a mark or two. He may even be fortunate enough to kick a goal from one of those marks. I reckon Kreuger's capability has a much higher ceiling. But at least you have done what no one else has managed to do today - given some indication of how Kreuger performed at training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive seen lol Kinda makes me a tad uncomfortable haha. I don't do this for recognition or fanfare.

It's just a bit of fun Jen.

Your training insights are valued by more people than just the members of this board. That recognition is well deserved.

Stay awesome! :rainbow:

The 'who deserves it' part of me wants a hungry and desperate Noble as sub ready to explode fresh.
The 'realistic' part of me says Frampton structurally keeps us straight. Just on Frampton he really stepped up when we needed him early in the season and he can always swap with Howe if needed. He does give options including taking the forward ruck role.
While I am at it stop knocking Lipinski, anyone who says a player pulls out of a contest or shirks it should be embarrassed. You have to have strength of character just to be out on an AFL field. When he is on he delivers the ball inside fifty superbly. Yes he has had a couple of bad quarters. He is in our bottom six picked and a role player. Let's be real he was not alone fumbling last week. We have had some players out of form. Elliot and Mihocek have been really quiet past two games. Lipinski is a Collingwood player. I support all players that play for us including Noble and Frampton.
Fly got us to here. I think he knows what he is doing. ;)
Let's get behind the boys this week and support them all.

Go Pies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jamie Elliott is good because at his height he can play on bigs and smalls.
Has the talent.

We are desperate for a lift from Jamie. His work rate, as always, is there but we need the goals this Saturday against the exploitable Brisbane defence beyond Andrews.

Frampton will be isolated if he plays forward. They'll put Andrews on him who will just zone off him to take intercept marks.

This might be a 200IQ play from Fly, he knows everyone will be watching and reporting on our training, so he puts Frampton in the forward line so Brions plan for it only to swap Howe forward and Frampton back come grand final day.

If Frampton plays forward, he will be lucky to get 3-4 possessions and a mark or two. He may even be fortunate enough to kick a goal from one of those marks. I reckon Kreuger's capability has a much higher ceiling. But at least you have done what no one else has managed to do today - given some indication of how Kreuger performed at training.
That's fair enough, and look I'm not even 100% sold on Billy either but I just personally think he is the best option we have. Kreuger wasn't horrible by any means but didn't particularly do enough to convince me he was worth selecting. I was standing by the pocket most of the day and toward the end Frampton, Kreugs and half a dozen other blokes were just practicing contested marks on the specky bag. If I recall correctly, Kreguer failed to mark 3/8 as well as 2/8 that were fumbly so in total about 3/8 convincing marks under no pressure. Frampton would have had a similar amount of reps but I only saw him drop one, the rest were clear clunks. I know it's just one drill but it's enough to firmly put me in the Frampton camp come Saturday

Frampton will be isolated if he plays forward. They'll put Andrews on him who will just zone off him to take intercept marks.
I think this is good though isn't it? Frampton won't be our main target so forcing Andrews to peel off to deal with him means one less guarding Mihocek or even Elliot. And if they don't respect Frampton then we'll take advantage of that. It's no different to how we'd play with McStay in albeit McStay is obviously the much preferred choice

It's just a bit of fun Jen.

Your training insights are valued by more people than just the members of this board. That recognition is well deserved.

Stay awesome! :rainbow:
Just unexpected haha. Of course my brother has to brag on facebook like "Where do you think she got her footy knowledge" lol

Again, Keeffe was apparently ok to play on Darcy Moore, AA defender, for the Giants who science tells us are the greatest sporting club to ever walk the Earth. His forward chops are significantly worse than Frampton’s.
He was playing forward/ruck alongside Hogan and Riccardi. Fair bit of difference there to being plonked in as the second key forward.

Dan McStay has averaged 8 touches this season for us. He’s been great with contest and creating space for others but he’s not Wayne Carey. It wasn’t that long ago that people on here were calling for him to be left out.
Whoever replaces him won’t be as good which is why they weren’t in the team in the first place but hopefully they can provide a contest, not get out marked and maybe kick a goal or two.
Only idiots were calling for him to be dropped.

The most fumbly hands in the club!

I think this is good though isn't it? Frampton won't be our main target so forcing Andrews to peel off to deal with him means one less guarding Mihocek or even Elliot. And if they don't respect Frampton then we'll take advantage of that. It's no different to how we'd play with McStay in albeit McStay is obviously the much preferred choice
Except that McStay would have been a much more difficult opponent for Andrews as he was for Taylor of GWS.

I don't really think that GWS need to pay a great deal of respect to Frampton. If he tries to drag Andrews into no man's land, why would Andrews bother to follow him? A second string defender could as easily switch on to him and leave Andrews to remain in a position where he is likely to be most involved in the play. I don't see Frampton dictating to Brisbane where their key interceptor and defender will play on the ground.

Solid session yesterday, with some mixed results.

The bad news is that Tay basically did his hammy again. I knew it wasn't a good sign when he was only able to complete 20 mins of the session; even if his session was just meant to be light work, the fact he wasnt out there for long suggested something was wrong. Which then got confirmed to us later.

Frampton, Ginni were initially in white when they came out onto the ground, and Noble black. But once match play started, they swapped. Frampton and Ginni in black, both were up forward (Ginni served as that 7th forward off the bench) and Frampton FF, seemed to be filling the Mcstay role.
Noble had changed to white to play on Nick, who was playing half forward.

Howe, Moore didn't participate, they did some drills, but then did a few run throughs.

Lippa was on the wing.

Not sure where Sidey lined up. Maybe he was on the bench. But I noticed this was the set up.

Wing:
Lippa _> Draper
Josh -> Wilson

Mid:
Pendles ->Allan
Mitchell ->Macrae
De Goey -> Carmichael

FWD:
Checkers -> Begg
Frampton -> Dean
Hill -> Noble
Jamie -> Ruscoe
Nick -> Ryan
Beau -> Bianco
Cameron -> Cox

DEF
IQ ->Richards
Crisp - > Murley
Markov -> Reef
Murphy -> Kreuger
Maynard -> HH
WHE -> Steene

on the bench
Ginni. Sidey.

They worked a lot about moving the ball forward, using the angles around stoppages and contest.
Did work on contest fight 1v1 work

Fly had a chat to Ginni post training, very easily going chat, talking about set plays I suppose, as they were pointing fingers to certain areas of the ground, and left smiling once they were done having a discussion.

The boys mingled a bit, before giving away footies to the kids in the crowd.

Thurs is the next main session.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back