Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

I doubt Essendon would risk losing out on McKay to avoid moving one place lower, if they say they are going to offer contract X and we say we are going to match that to his manager then it would be risky to go down that route. His player might not get to where he prefers to be and it might cost a lot more than just money for the Bombers. The talent pool where Essendon's pick is going to be seems fairly even, I think it will be a very hard phantom draft to predict accurately, so it is not like they don't want their pick to fall off a cliff.

If he doesn't move via free agency it will be a bad result for Essendon, they will either have to do a trade or take him in the draft with a decent pick and McKay wouldn't be thrilled with rolling the dice on which state he will end up. There is no way he would enter the PSD, he will end up in Perth.
Mckay is not worth pick 3 in a trade so a trade would be a win for the Dons, Not a loss.
Trade wise the guy is barely worth a pick in the 2nd round.

Don’t think it’ll be because Essendon are worried about moving down a spot (you’d assume they’d be happy with multiple players around their pick), but Dodoro strikes me as the petty sort to just shaft other teams and not hand over high rated picks for nothing.

Yeah, when I heard that rumour I tried to think of it if the shoe was on the other foot. He was around when they got pick 7 for Daniher and he wasn't remotely worth that either, I am sure he is motivated to do what is best for his club and the easiest path would be to get him with cash only. Brisbane re-negotiated Daniher's contract down over a longer term the year after he landed at Brisbane, what you pay during Free Agency isn't always the final annual average cost.

It is just an easier process if both clubs, player and manager are all on the same page. We will find out next week I guess. I'd be surprised if there was a hostile process, but you never know with Dodoro.

Mckay is not worth pick 3 in a trade so a trade would be a win for the Dons, Not a loss.
Trade wise the guy is barely worth a pick in the 2nd round.

Essendon giving any picks for McKay isn't a win for Essendon, regardless of the pick, even if they have to take him in the draft. This is such a simple concept when dealing with free agency.

Don’t know people are upset with north with McKay he’s defo not worth a pick three. However a speculative pick of 21 or so if he goes band 2 given the depth of this draft if I’m there list management I’m defo matching the bid and getting ess to pony up for band one.

Could also use the 2025 1st to get another high pick next year.
At some point we're going to have to take a punt on a KPF with a top 5ish pick. The strike rate of success compared to a mid, is low.

With next year being full of mids, is there a player in the top 10 who is good enough? Does a split work? Do we use 2025 #1 and grab and mid and a KPF?

The problem with using 2024 #1 now? It's for a player who is a flight risk. A player with just as much potential, without the flight risk, will be available next year. What if we get the spoon and by November next year there is an absolute standout elite mid (elite disposal and decision making)? Having to trade F1 again? It's just risky.

We should be calm and logical and hold the pick. The list is starting to come together, we just have to be calm and not get FOMO'd into making rash decisions.

If Essendon are willing to pay McKay enough to get band 1 compo, blame them, not North/the AFL.

Totally different story if the AFL manufactures band 1 compo if he's not getting paid that much however. They did however promise they wouldn't be adding the Colonel's recipe to the compo to raise it up a band and I'd be shocked if they tried after doling out 3 first rounders to North.

Looks like a few ferals over on the North board might be owing WCE_phil a whole-hearted apology fairly soon...

At some point we're going to have to take a punt on a KPF with a top 5ish pick. The strike rate of success compared to a mid, is low.

With next year being full of mids, is there a player in the top 10 who is good enough? Does a split work? Do we use 2025 #1 and grab and mid and a KPF?

The problem with using 2024 #1 now? It's for a player who is a flight risk. A player with just as much potential, without the flight risk, will be available next year. What if we get the spoon and by November next year there is an absolute standout elite mid (elite disposal and decision making)? Having to trade F1 again? It's just risky.

We should be calm and logical and hold the pick. The list is starting to come together, we just have to be calm and not get FOMO'd into making rash decisions.
I see no point in bringing in the 2024 F1 for something this year, next year I think it's a distinct option.

Kill me now.

Who's on and when (all times AEDT)

7am - The Early Trade: Kane Cornes and Brad Johnson
9am - Trade Mornings: Cam Luke and Adam Cooney
11am - Trade Exchange: Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich
12pm - Gettable on Trade Radio: Riley Beveridge and Cal Twomey
1pm - Trade Feed:
Sam Edmund and Tom Morris
3pm - The Late Trade: Damian Barrett, Phil Davis and Josh Jenkins

Kill me now.

Who's on and when (all times AEDT)

7am - The Early Trade: Kane Cornes and Brad Johnson
9am - Trade Mornings: Cam Luke and Adam Cooney
11am - Trade Exchange: Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich
12pm - Gettable on Trade Radio: Riley Beveridge and Cal Twomey
1pm - Trade Feed: Sam Edmund and Tom Morris
3pm - The Late Trade: Damian Barrett, Phil Davis and Josh Jenkins
Kane Cornes to get an early start with his agenda for Harley Reid not winding up at West Coast.

7:15am on the first day: Trade Radio has used up all their realistic trade propositions and have moved onto their ridiculous trade possibilities that will run until the actual trade period.

I see no point in bringing in the 2024 F1 for something this year, next year I think it's a distinct option.

Or we take a speculative pick or two with mid range or latter picks, on tall's this year and next.

Take Reid with our first pick then with our next two picks take tall's players such as Riley Wetherall 195 KPF Vic Metro Eastern Rangers, or - ZZ Top 196 Claremont.

* Wetherall is a kid thats rising fast and I would not be at all surprised to see him go very early in the second round.

Late third rounders or rookie pick these names Coen Livingston 199 Perth, Evan Zmith 199 Swan Districts, Liam Fawcett 198 SA Central Districts but to name a few.

Secret to getting decent tall's at mid to very late picks, is ensuring that you take one or two every draft, the dark science of who will or won't make it, is even harder to predict with tall's as they develop so much latter and take so much more time.

Look for example of these players:

Our own
Gov Rookie pick Rookie Pick 74 2013.
Tommy B National Draft pick 43 2013.

Mitch Lewis Nation draft pick 76 2016.
Nick Larkey National Draft pick 73 2016.
Brody Mihocek Rookie draft pick 22 2016.

And two emerging young tall's.

Ollie Lord National Draft pick 49 2020...... this kids going to be very good.
Harrison Jones National Draft pick 30 2021.

Clubs need to punt on tall's with mid range and latter picks, you need to get them into the system as see how they progress.
Remember that most of these kid grow another 2- 3 cm after they have been drafted up till the age of 21/22.

It's why tall's and rucks, rarely get picked up with picks under 20, there is no linear development with them, is just so hit and miss.

Do I think Coen Livingston will make it ???? I have my doubts and think he is more likely a bust that a keeper, however he is exactly the sort of raw kid that we should take a punt on with latter / rookie more speculative picks.
Evan Smith is in a similar category for me just throwing a few names out there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or we take a speculative pick or two with mid range or latter picks, on tall's this year and next.

Take Reid with our first pick then with our next two picks take tall's players such as Riley Wetherall 195 KPF Vic Metro Eastern Rangers, or - ZZ Top 196 Claremont.

* Wetherall is a kid thats rising fast and I would not be at all surprised to see him go very early in the second round.

Late third rounders or rookie pick these names Coen Livingston 199 Perth, Evan Zmith 199 Swan Districts, Liam Fawcett 198 SA Central Districts but to name a few.

Secret to getting decent tall's at mid to very late picks, is ensuring that you take one or two every draft, the dark science of who will or won't make it, is even harder to predict with tall's as they develop so much latter and take so much more time.

Our own

Clubs need to punt on tall's with mid range and latter picks, you need to get them into the system as see how they progress.
Remember that most of these kid grow another 2- 3 cm after they have been drafted up till the age of 21/22.

It's why tall's and rucks, rarely get picked up with picks under 20, there is no linear development with them, is just so hit and miss.

Do I think Coen Livingston will make it ???? I have my doubts and think he is more likely a bust that a keeper, however he is exactly the sort of raw kid that we should take a punt on with latter / rookie more speculative picks.
Always someone else like Logan Morris could be an option, who will slide due to being shorter but is close to the best contested mark in the pool.

I recon he'll be a new Darling.

Lord looks a ripper doesn't he. Damn you Port!!

Always someone else like Logan Morris could be an option, who will slide due to being shorter but is close to the best contested mark in the pool.

I recon he'll be a new Darling.

Lord looks a ripper doesn't he. Damn you Port!!

Logan Morris also can play either end, another player to keep an eye on is Michael Rudd Geelong Falcons, he too is a third tall Darling type player.

Lord is going to be a player who will attract a whole lot of poaching offers from the Victorian based Clubs ... Geelong already putting work into him.
Ollie is a former Sandringham Dragon (East Brighton lad ) and also went to Geelong Grammar.

Logan Morris also can play either end, another player to keep an eye on is Michael Rudd Geelong Falcons, he too is a third tall Darling type player.

Lord is going to be a player who will attract a whole lot of poaching offers from the Victorian based Clubs ... Geelong already putting work into him.
Ollie is a former Sandringham Dragon (East Brighton lad ) and also went to Geelong Grammar.
Croft hasn't nominated the Bulldogs as yet so we might be a sneaky chance. Zane Zakostelsky would be interesting to see what his combine looks like. Particularly interested in his agility and speed as he may turn out to be a forward long term.

Next year looks to be more of a midfielders draft and a fairly compromised draft so hoping we pick up some talls this year for development.

Split our 2nd pick and get Zane Zakostelsky and Ashton Moir and pick up someone like Will Brown later on.

Christ.

Take a shot every time Kane says the phrase.

Why would Reid go to a dirt shit club like wce

Why would Reid want to go to a club with no standards

Why would Reid want to go to a club like wce and simmo who has no clue and idea.

Why go to a club like wce who will be wooden spooners who next 4 years while casually ignoring norf.

In all seriousness we about to face 12 days of non stop trade ideas for Harley reid. Christ it's basically norf bigfooty board with a microphone on steroids

Last edited:
I dare someone to call in trade radio and give them the most stupid question possible for a laugh. It's a tradition.

Anyone got any ideas for a really really dumb question. I'm going to call them sometime today.
Nick Hind and Bomber's first for Oscar Allen.

If they ask your name, it's M. Robinson, or just 'Robbo'.

Our own

Great post.

I think there is some hope we have a young developing AFL quality player in Jack Williams. Plus with Flynn seemingly on his way Bailey can start working on his forward craft.

Personally I would prefer we take KPD’s (or those that project as that but may end up elsewhere I.e. ZZ) with our speculative mid range picks, but one of each would be fine also.

The other thing to note assuming/hoping we take Reid is his ability to play deep forward. It allows us to play 1 less tall (if we don’t have that talent on the list).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dare someone to call in trade radio and give them the most stupid question possible for a laugh. It's a tradition.

Anyone got any ideas for a really really dumb question. I'm going to call them sometime today.

dkalphy

It’s your time to shine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back