List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice well thought out post but you've made a core error in your assumption.
Curtin is our third choice, and not our need. McKercher is the alternate target supposedly, just being kept on the downlow.

Pick 3 doesn't help us get McKercher. The rest of the post sadly falls over.
3,15,17 and F2 sounds great, but really it doesn't fix our list.
I can't see a deal happening as I am sure we will want to keep pick 2 to get Colby as well as getting Reid. ie we would be prepared to lose Duursma (our pick 3) but not Colby to get access to Reid.

If WC are effectively in the same boat - ie they will only trade down if they can be assured of getting Colby - then it appears we have reached an impasse so to speak.

This means WC will take Reid with 1 and we will take Colby then Duursma with 2 and 3.

Alternatively - once WC accept the position that there will be no deal with North then a deal with Melbourne could be their next best option - get 2 top 10's this year (including Curtin) and a F1.

Personally the best result for North is to use our 5 first rounders as they are now and nail (at least) 4 of these picks.

What is Zane Duursma's defensive pressure like?

Generally, opposition sides exit from our forward fifty easy as. Will picking Zane improve our forward 50 defensive pressure at all?

We rate Reid, as does every other team as 1 on the available players, ROB has come out and said we are likely to keep 1 and take Reid when asked about it this week, Reid has also come out multiple times and said he is fine with being picked by eagles or north as he wants to be a part of taking a team from the bottom to the top, I don’t think north give up the currency for Reid and I don’t think it would be worth it
If that was the case then why dont West Coast just say that " we are taking pick 1 to the draft and picking Reid" this would then stop all the back and forth of clubs offering to try to get pick 1. West Coast keep refusing offers because they are not good enough which to me sounds like " we are open to offers"..it just doesn't gel...

I hate the Judas as much as the next guy but he has all the attributes to be greater than Dangerfield.

HR has nothing on Judas.

Judas was ripping games apart against men as a 17 year old.

Once his tank improves he will be unstoppable.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
Men in the sanfl…let’s be clear on that a bunch of part time amateur footy players. I’d rate the Coates league higher!

Agreed. North are far stronger without 1 given what I think the premium will be.
The funny thing is that West Coast would also be stronger with the packages offered than Reid.

Reid alone is not going to fix an ageing list with holes all over the place.

The kid will most likely be a superstar, but superstars alone isn’t going to fix either club.

Both us and West Coast need quantity when it comes to top end talent, not just one very good player.

While I’m sure I would love watching Reid in the jumper, I think I will get more pleasure out of a better team with more talent spread over the park.

That gives us 1,2,17,22

Not terrible but I would like 2/ or 3 and 15 or keep, leaving us with 1, 2/3, 17,18

All the options are good, we can’t lose
We might only take 4 picks at the draft, depending on what strategy the club takes with DFA’s and players without contracts.

If we managed to get 1,2, 17 and 22 I think we would be pretty happy with that. We might even try and bundle 17 and 22 with something else to try and push up the order if there is a club out there looking to trade out?

There will always be a slider or two that could fall to the late first round.

I can't see a deal happening as I am sure we will want to keep pick 2 to get Colby as well as getting Reid. ie we would be prepared to lose Duursma (our pick 3) but not Colby to get access to Reid.

If WC are effectively in the same boat - ie they will only trade down if they can be assured of getting Colby - then it appears we have reached an impasse so to speak.

This means WC will take Reid with 1 and we will take Colby then Duursma with 2 and 3.

Alternatively - once WC accept the position that there will be no deal with North then a deal with Melbourne could be their next best option - get 2 top 10's this year (including Curtin) and a F1.

Personally the best result for North is to use our 5 first rounders as they are now and nail (at least) 4 of these picks.
l still think if Sanders goes before Geelongs pick then we go after their pick by offer any two of 15,17, and 18 plus thrown in F3 for something else in return maybe their F3 on top of pick 8/9 to get it done...

I don’t think there’s anything left for north to do. Sit on our pile of pix, say nothing and offer nothing. Our hand is stronger than anyone else’s. Let wce come to us with offers. More than happy taking in what we have. Like we talking PSD for Biggie. Talk about Lycett a potential DFA, wonder if Sam Hayes could be a possibility in that space there too.

Last edited:
Not sure if it made waves over there, but Reid went on SEN WA the day before and made clear he's happy to come to Perth and take the #9 guernsey. He also said McClure must not like him much for making stuff up about him.

The next day that happens.

It seems a bit pantomime to me.
Maybe?

But it’s also conceivable that the manager is using Mclure as a mouthpiece to throw some doubt, while totally distancing themselves from the comments.

I have no doubt he will go there, but you would have to be stupid to think his preference is to go to West Coast.

Maybe a tactic to create doubt to see if West Coast blinks and he gets to stay in Vic or as I said just Mclure being a knob?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope they are better than that we just got one of your so called amateurs for our back line.
Carlton picked up Durdin from the SANFL in the mid season draft! Not knocking the league, just saying I believe the Coates league sets higher standards of conditioning and preparation for an afl career as opposed to guys holding down day jobs and playing footy part time. Obviously there will be players in that league who are an exception and focussed on finding a way to the afl.

WC should take the Melbourne offer. 6, 11 and a F1 is an amazing deal for one player, and hopefully more than we’d be prepared to cough up.
I don't think that's an amazing offer. 2 & 15 from us beats it.

I think that it would take more than pick 11 to move up from 6 to 2. And their F1 has a good chance to be higher than pick 15.

2 > 6 + 11
15 > Melb F1

WC knocking back Hawthorn's offer might be a fair indication of the quality of this year's draft. Or maybe the top 4 are absolutely elite?

Brady mentioned that we have a solid top 4. WC have knocked back what will effectively be pick 5 after a Walter bid. WC may share that view.

Reid
Walter
McKercher
Duursma

WC may have had the chance to pick Curtin at 5 and passed on it with a likely top 4 pick added next year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’ll bite - why Barnett? He showed absolutely nothing in the WAFL last season. He’s a long long way off.
Purely my opinion only, l liked him leading up to the 2022 draft and would have been great if we picked him late as big raw ruckman to go along side X and Goldstein...as it stands we still only have 2 ruckman so the 2x WA boys is purely to fascinate a trade to get this No.1 along with the picks but we'd need another ruck option if we parted with Free.
Anyway, month to go and l'm sure the Reid/#1 trade rumours will dominate the airwaves.

Just wait 12 months
Let the Eagles draft Reid at 1 then we take Curtain at 2 or 3 then after the 2024 season Reid will want to comeback to Victoria and Curtain May want to go back to WA .
But if for some reason Cutain wants to stay here we can still trade with the Eagles maybe our 1st pick next year and maybe a player or 2 thrown in.
Or we can suggest to them a straight swap for both players with draft picks thrown in.
As a club the NMFC we hold all the cards why risk doing something stupid by giving away a draft haul of picks which I still can’t believe the AFL has given us by putting all the eggs in 1 basket by selling the farm to get Reid.
We might even get lucky and the Eagles might call out Curtain name 1st.
Then Reid is all ours.
IF, he had a Sheez type year in 24 and decided to do a JHF, he's on 3 year contract and he'll be on the open market which we'll be 1 of 17 clubs chasing but as it stands, we are realistically the only club that WCE can only deal with.

I think that WC should want to be in a position where they have McKercher and then the option to either draft 3+ more guys (Tholstrup, Edwards, ZZ, Collard) or combine picks to live trade up to Curtin on draft night if he slides to 7 or 8.

2 + 15 + 18 along with their 23 puts them in that position.

I think that WC should want to be in a position where they have McKercher and then the option to either draft 3+ more guys (Tholstrup, Edwards, ZZ, Collard) or combine picks to live trade up to Curtin on draft night if he slides to 7 or 8.

That's my take too

Knocking back the other deals shows only McKercher in a deal gets it done.
Given their position and showing their hand, id be only offering 2 +17 now saving 15 and 18 for a possible play into the top 10.

“Genuinely the worst team mate I’ve ever had through my career. Shocking bloke. The entire playing list wanted him gone”

- NM Player who has played at multiple clubs about a player that has recently left the club.
Young seemed such a nice lad too.
Ok tough to know who, Goldie never made leadership and then theres McNugget

Remove this Banner Ad

Back