If you were list manager…

Remove this Banner Ad

How many players on our current list would you be staunch to hold onto?

For me, it’s 6.

The remainder - wouldn’t lose any sleep over.

Am I being harsh?

Yes a few threads around like this, I'd suggest we will find out at seasons end who al clarko rates and doesn't.

And yes a little harsh;

1.Archer-delist
2.Bonar-delist
3.Drury-delist
4.Hall-retire
5.Howe-delist
6.Lazzaro-delist ( realise he's contracted)
7.Mahony-delist
8.McDonald- delist ( see Lazzaro)
9.McKay- RFA/trade
10.Young-delist
11.Turner-delist
12.Greenwood-retire
13.Shiels- retire
14.Spicer-delist
15.Free-delist
16.Ziebell-retire
17.Taylor-delist ( see Lazzaro)

^^ a solid start to making NMFC great again.

18.Perez
19.Phillips
20.CCJ
21.Powell
22.Stephenson
23.Xerri
24.Tucker

^^ I wouldn't miss a wink if that lot went elsewhere.

So, in No particular order

1.Sheezel
2.Bergman
3.Wardlaw
4.Simpkin
5.LDU
6.Comben ( although I've given up somewhat)
7.Ford
8.Larkey
9.Logue
10.Scott
11.Zurhaar
12.Thomas.
13.George
14.Goldy
15.Cunners

The last two I found room for some romance is all. But folks this is why we cannot win, and are no certainty to beat the Eagle.

Of course we won't move on 24 players, but we honestly could do that. Some will scoff and lol and carry on like a two-bob watch.

If you can't run and spread in today's footyballs , you can't be successful in the modern era. Do I rate the modern era? No is the answer to that.

So when we have a Powell, Phillips, Greenwood type we aint winning. And if we have a Powell, Phillips, Xerri type in two years we still aint winning.

Stephenson is probably the most valuable in the second lot, and will further improve if results start going in our favor.

oh well, anyways as I see it we have 13 players with some value- go us.

There's about 18 on the list that will go within the next 2-3 years but the cuts need to be staggered over next 3 years as we still need to keep depth and a strong VFL team so the kids are part of a winning culture there. That means we might have to keep some of the Spicer/Taylor/Mahony/Perez/Lazzaro types as they are younger vs the older Bonar/Young/Howe age types who have had 5-6 years of development and shown not much.
Take 4 or 5 ND kids each year over the next 3 years. Rookies can be new selections or rookie the Spicer/Mahoney/Perez/Lazzaro/Taylor types.

Yes a few threads around like this, I'd suggest we will find out at seasons end who al clarko rates and doesn't.

And yes a little harsh;

1.Archer-delist
2.Bonar-delist
3.Drury-delist
4.Hall-retire
5.Howe-delist
6.Lazzaro-delist ( realise he's contracted)
7.Mahony-delist
8.McDonald- delist ( see Lazzaro)
9.McKay- RFA/trade
10.Young-delist
11.Turner-delist
12.Greenwood-retire
13.Shiels- retire
14.Spicer-delist
15.Free-delist
16.Ziebell-retire
17.Taylor-delist ( see Lazzaro)

18.Perez
19.Phillips
20.CCJ
21.Powell
22.Stephenson
23.Xerri
24.Tucker

1.Sheezel
2.Bergman
3.Wardlaw
4.Simpkin
5.LDU
6.Comben ( although I've given up somewhat)
7.Ford
8.Larkey
9.Logue
10.Scott
11.Zurhaar
12.Thomas.
13.George
14.Goldy
15.Cunners

The last two I found room for some romance is all. But folks this is why we cannot win, and are no certainty to beat the Eagle.

Of course we won't move on 24 players, but we honestly could do that. Some will scoff and lol and carry on like a two-bob watch.

If you can't run and spread in today's footyballs , you can't be successful in the modern era. Do I rate the modern era? No is the answer to that.

So when we have a Powell, Phillips, Greenwood type we aint winning. And if we have a Powell, Phillips, Xerri type in two years we still aint winning.

Stephenson is probably the most valuable in the second lot, and will further improve if results start going in our favor.

oh well, anyways as I see it we have 13 players with some value- go us.

No scoffing, although:
Archer: is contracted.
Drury: will likely get re-rookied.
McKay: an AFL footballer - albeit low football IQ - which we shouldn't be wanting to lose given our list.
Young: unlucky, although has had chances Greenwood: contracted
Perez: I think we should keep for another year, particularly given ziebell and hall likely go.
Stephenson: has shown more then enough at afl level, although you can't carry too many of his types in bad teams, and PC - and even Zurhaar at time - are too often 'his types'.
Phillips and Powell: Definitely not.
CCJ: Contracted, fills a need. Needs to lift if he wants to have a career beyond the current contract.
Xerri: I'm glad you're not list manager.

Bon(us)ar: There's a sneaky chance we retain Bon for one more...

The rest, fine.

No scoffing, although:
Archer: is contracted.
Drury: will likely get re-rookied.
McKay: an AFL footballer - albeit low football IQ - which we shouldn't be wanting to lose given our list.
Young: unlucky, although has had chances Greenwood: contracted
Perez: I think we should keep for another year, particularly given ziebell and hall likely go.
Stephenson: has shown more then enough at afl level, although you can't carry too many of his types in bad teams, and PC - and even Zurhaar at time - are too often 'his types'.
Phillips and Powell: Definitely not.
CCJ: Contracted, fills a need. Needs to lift if he wants to have a career beyond the current contract.
Xerri: I'm glad you're not list manager.

Bon(us)ar: There's a sneaky chance we retain Bon for one more...

The rest, fine.

Realise Archer is contracted, if his name was Robert Wong I doubt he's on our list.
Drury is dime a doz
McKay is gone I'd suggest
Young isn't good enough
CCJ is lazy and unfit, it is on him, is good enough to play. Rather piss weak effort tbh.
Perez a little better than Young, he will go around again, we can only replace six at max.
Phillips/Powell- I don't expect to leave, the question was would I lose any sleep or some such.
Xerri- as above
Bonar surely has used up his chances or should have.

Realise Archer is contracted, if his name was Robert Wong I doubt he's on our list.
Drury is dime a doz
McKay is gone I'd suggest
Young isn't good enough
CCJ is lazy and unfit, it is on him, is good enough to play. Rather piss weak effort tbh.
Perez a little better than Young, he will go around again, we can only replace six at max.
Phillips/Powell- I don't expect to leave, the question was would I lose any sleep or some such.
Xerri- as above
Bonar surely has used up his chances or should have.
We will replace more than six, closer to 10.

There's about 18 on the list that will go within the next 2-3 years but the cuts need to be staggered over next 3 years as we still need to keep depth and a strong VFL team so the kids are part of a winning culture there. That means we might have to keep some of the Spicer/Taylor/Mahony/Perez/Lazzaro types as they are younger vs the older Bonar/Young/Howe age types who have had 5-6 years of development and shown not much.
Take 4 or 5 ND kids each year over the next 3 years. Rookies can be new selections or rookie the Spicer/Mahoney/Perez/Lazzaro/Taylor types.
Don't disagree with this assessment. My belief is that Clarko would have had a similar view from very early on. One of his "work, at home" tasks is the assessment of the list moving forward. 18 over the next 3 years is 6 per years.

We have 15 on the list that are currently not contacted beyond this year. The question who goes first.

I believe that;
1. Hard one first. Cunnington (paid out), Goldstein & Ziebell should be offered, if they are interested, roles in 2024 e.g., VFL or other.
2. Not renewed in this order. P Spicer, J Mahoney (sad he didn't make it), K. Turner.
3. If B. McKay wants out, seek, the best deal.

This leaves in order 1 year contract
L Shiels
L Young
A Hall
L Young
H Free
A. Bonar
D Howe
K Dawson Should be played in 2-3 games .
F Perez
B Drury
J Edwards.

In the off season, please get the group super fit.

Not happening.
I don't know what you mean? Because trading one of our co-captains, and Syd Barker medallist, who was a top ten draft pick and is in his prime years for a packet of peanuts would be disrespectful, or because no other team would cough up a packet of peanuts?

Guarantee Delist / Retire

Liam Shiels
Aiden Bonar
Aaron Hall
Kayne Turner
Jack Mahony

Consider Delist

Daniel Howe
Charlie Lazzaro
Phoneix Spicer
Curtis Taylor

Trade

Luke McDonald
Ben Cunnington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Will be very interesting to observe.

And yes a little harsh;
It's your way, and your shtick.

1.Archer-delist Too early. It's his second (injury interrupted) year, after making the seniors in year one.
2.Bonar-delist Probably, but I'd be saddened as I still recall his form prior to the legendary DeGoey game.
3.Drury-delist Retain if it's on the rookie list only, for another year to see what he can do.
4.Hall-retire Yes, it's time.
5.Howe-delist No, If he's not 'list clogging' or taking games off the kids, he's exactly what we need for depth.
6.Lazzaro-delist (contracted) Possible and sad, given his commitment. Plenty uncontracted, so keep in 2024.
7.Mahony-delist Yep. An honest trier, whose ceiling is an asterisk on Glenn Luff's spreadsheet.
8.McDonald- delist (contracted) If finances permit, yes. In fact, Meg Ryan 'Yes's!
9.McKay- RFA/trade Likely gone?! With you on his genetic limitations, but IF he stays and gels with Logue, good.
10.Young-delist In a similar category to Howe for me. Good depth and seemingly underrated in the seniors.
11.Turner-delist Yep. Like the kid, but his best was limited, and in the rear-view mirror.
12.Greenwood-retire No. If Ben10 retires, we need Hugh. Good clubman, good depth, in and out of the seniors.
13.Shiels- retire Big no, unless it's his choice. Reliable. Just what we need, if he can continue form into 2024.
14.Spicer-delist Can see both sides here. If we're being ruthless, he is probably delisted.
15.Free-delist Yeah, but we'd need a similar replacement.
16.Ziebell-retire For the good of the team, yes. Will be a sad day.
17.Taylor-delist (see Lazzaro). Yeah, nah. Let's see how he responds in 2024.

18.Perez Need to persist in 2024, I think.
19.Phillips If you're not missing a wink of sleep, you're dreaming!
20.CCJ Until we have better quality talls, he stays. 'Big men take time' may apply.
21.Powell Should still be in our plans, unless Clarko thinks, like @Themanbun, that we've got too many mids.
22.Stephenson He's doing his job, and will be more valuable as we learn to keep the ball in our F50.
23.Xerri He's Goldie's heir apparent and he's ready.
24.Tucker Similar to Howe.

1.Sheezel
2.Bergman
3.Wardlaw
4.Simpkin
5.LDU
6.Comben (although I've given up somewhat) You're not alone.
7.Ford
8.Larkey
9.Logue
10.Scott
11.Zurhaar
12.Thomas
13.George
14.Goldy Sadly, past it. Retire in his coveted role of second longest serving NMFC player.
15.Cunners Too slow for the modern game and his tricks, like Goldie's are well known.

The last two I found room for some romance is all. Not consistent... 'If you can't run and spread...'

If you can't run and spread in today's footyball, you can't be successful in the modern era.
Curtis? Persist, likely/possible part of our future. Needs a good pre-season.
Harvey? Persist, likely/possible part of our future. Needs to build his tank.
Goater? Persist, likely part of our future.
Hansen? Persist.
Edwards? Delist.
Dawson? Persist.

Last edited:
After reading all this, the one conclusion is:

Our list is a dogs breakfast.

Is it a concern that WCE's list is a mess & we all know who was there from 2017-2019???

If we don't nail the next 2 drafts, we're screwed for another decade. It's as simple as that I'm afraid

After reading all this, the one conclusion is:

Our list is a dogs breakfast.

Is it a concern that WCE's list is a mess & we all know who was there from 2017-2019???

If we don't nail the next 2 drafts, we're screwed for another decade. It's as simple as that I'm afraid
More of a two dogs breakfast.

I don't know what you mean? Because trading one of our co-captains, and Syd Barker medallist, who was a top ten draft pick and is in his prime years for a packet of peanuts would be disrespectful, or because no other team would cough up a packet of peanuts?

I mean that he would be one of the first picked every week.

Cunners goes around again because he is contracted, and if Shiels wants another year he can have one. I'd be delisting:
1. A Hall
2. A Bonar
3. D Howe
4. J Mahony
5. K Dawson
6. L Young
7. J Ziebell
8. T Goldstein
9. P Spicer
10. K Turner
11. B McKay (Leaves as free agent)

That's 11 de-listings at an average age of over 27. It will make us considerably less experienced but where possible we can backfill our VFL team with experience as most of these guys are 2's players now (except Ziebs).

To replace these players i''d be doing the following
1. 2 players from priority compensation picks that need to be traded, same as last year.
2. Pick up two players aged 23-26 as delisted free agents
3. 5 players at the national draft

My hunch is we will have to reduce our Rookie List next year, if not re-rookie some depth players to help out with the VFL program.

Players I'd be targeting as DFA's or trades would be:
- Toby McLean
  • Sam Wicks
  • Tom Highmore
  • Will Gould
  • Hunter Clark
  • Jake Riccardi
  • Sam Flanders
  • Ryan Lester
  • Noah Answerth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back