2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to denigrate Richard's 189... but when people talk about the 'old days' of one-day batting, and how 6+/over was a huge feat and how much Richard's stood out from the crowd, they also ignore that in the early days of one-day cricket the bowling wasn't very sophisticated either. Neither was the fielding, really. If a batsman, like Viv, really attacked the bowling, teams didn't have many answers.

Again, not to denigrate his inning, or to say it was beneath Maxwell's. Just completely different eras in so many ways.

I get your point but they used red balls that maintained their condition and movement for much longer as they weren’t painted, there were no bowling restrictions as far as I’m aware in terms of short pitched bowling and the wide restrictions were a lot less heavy handed.

As someone pointed out with Maxwell, no matter which spin you put on it, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it and the same applies to Viv.

Ok, so lets not acknowledge the feat of 3 ODI double centuries. Let's be real, anyone scoring one double century is an effort in itself. What a pathetic post!
So do we say that Maxy's double century was against a minnow in world cricket standings on a postage stamp sized ground? No we don't, we just admire the brilliance of the feat, as it deserves....
Sharma always has been a flat track bully.

Also Afghanistan has proven themselves to be the 5/6th best ODI team as everyone plays each other in the World Cup.

Maxy the only no opener to score a double and the only to do it in a run chase coming in at 6. In a must win World Cup game to make sure we qualified for the finals

The context couldn’t be more different if you tried

I get your point but they used red balls that maintained their condition and movement for much longer as they weren’t painted, there were no bowling restrictions as far as I’m aware in terms of short pitched bowling and the wide restrictions were a lot less heavy handed.

As someone pointed out with Maxwell, no matter which spin you put on it, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it and the same applies to Viv.
White ball cricket is definitely a lot more in the favour of the batsman now with how the rules have changed

Also Afghanistan has proven themselves to be the 5/6th best ODI team as everyone plays each other in the World Cup.

Maxy the only no opener to score a double and the only to do it in a run chase coming in at 6. In a must win World Cup game to make sure we qualified for the finals

I don't think we'll be seeing another no.6 make an ODI double century for a very, very long time. If ever again.

So you're saying this ODI innings from Maxwell against Afghanistan is greater than that innings from Bevan against a quality Windies attack?

Afghanistan are a decent team but they're still inexperienced minnows at international level and nowhere near the Windies teams of the 90s.

I would still rate Bevan's innings higher due to the quality of the opposition, Bevan never got to play against the Netherlands or Afghanistan.

I'd rate Rashid Khan ahead of Roger Harper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except he’s not, is he. Google ‘Rohit Sharma SCG ODI century’ and watch an artist at work while every teammate he had could barely get the ball past the circle. He averages 45 away from home at a strike rate above 90. He has 18 of his 31 centuries away from home.
His 150 off 133 against Steyn, Rabada and Morkel was pretty good.
His century against Morkel, Rabada and Ngidi at Port Elizabeth was pretty good too.
His century last World Cup against Woakes, Archer, Plunkett and Wood.
One of 5 he hit in that World Cup in England

Serious.

Do.
Some.
F***en.
Research.

Except he’s not, is he. Google ‘Rohit Sharma SCG ODI century’ and watch an artist at work while every teammate he had could barely get the ball past the circle. He averages 45 away from home at a strike rate above 90. He has 18 of his 31 centuries away from home.
His 150 off 133 against Steyn, Rabada and Morkel was pretty good.
His century against Morkel, Rabada and Ngidi at Port Elizabeth was pretty good too.
His century last World Cup against Woakes, Archer, Plunkett and Wood.
One of 5 he hit in that World Cup in England

Serious.

Do.
Some.
F***en.
Research.
Then flopped in the finals when the pressure was on

Unbelievable innings.

I had to head out and was refreshing my phone.
I walked past an off licence and two Indian guys were going nuts. I thought they'd be barracking against us but when I checked my phone Maxwell had gone BANG!

Indians love Glenn Maxwell

Bad news for Plugger35 as there were many on twitter straight after the game saying it was the best ODI innings ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back