Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Or we choose to not re rookie Borlase and pick up a slider instead, either way we are well positioned now

Wonder who we select with our first rookie pick - Hamill or Borlase?

Still think there is a chance Borlase is picked up before our selection - I don’t think the club will be overly disappointed.

I
The reference was to moving up above 10 to get into the so called "ëlite" talent...for mine the only players I class as elite prospects prior to an AFL career are Harley Reid and Jed Walter then Ethan Reid not too far off those two. We ain't getting any of them.
reckon the top 6 is pretty elite and better than most years top 6

Curtin and Read are stars

Mckercher is elite , look at his numbers and also compare the run and dare and goal kicking to previous high end mids and he’s at least as good as any

Watson is an elite small forward in terms of role

That’s not even mentioning Sanders or Duursma . Sanders output is elite ( Daicos only one that matches on statistics alone ) and Duursma is elite on potential

I’m hoping for us to pick all midfielders and half back type players. Freijah, Windsor, McAuliffe and Wilson. think we need run and carry as besides Soligo, we don’t have any.

Reid said they don’t want anymore then 2 ruckman on the list, so that rules them out and I just don’t think that talls that go early turn out any better then one’s drafted late.

I’m hoping for us to pick all midfielders and half back type players. Freijah, Windsor, McAuliffe and Wilson. think we need run and carry as besides Soligo, we don’t have any.

Reid said they don’t want anymore then 2 ruckman on the list, so that rules them out and I just don’t think that talls that go early turn out any better then one’s drafted late.
Where did Read say this?

Do you think Wilson and/or OSullivan even make it to our pick?
Assuming that the (rough) current order stays as is AND one of Melbourne or GWS pick Leake, then one of Wilson/O'Sullivan is guaranteed to be there.

Ok here’s my prediction;
I think we won’t pick a ruckman, so rule out Goad or any of the other rucks for any of our picks .

We’ll take O’Sullivan at our first pick (if available) . Wilson if O’Sullivan is gone.

Other 2 picks harder to predict.

Rekon Demattia is a chance as well as KK.
I would be really disappointed if the club didn't pick up a ruck in this draft when there are lots of good options available
Our list is screaming out for big guys, I'm hoping we get a couple this draft

I would be really disappointed if the club didn't pick up a ruck in this draft when there are lots of good options available
Our list is screaming out for big guys, I'm hoping we get a couple this draft
I’ve read that we’ve picked up nick Murray brother for our sanfl team, who’s a ruck . So with Strachan there also , I can’t see us picking another ruck who they will want to develop in our sanfl side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read that we’ve picked up nick Murray brother for our sanfl team, who’s a ruck . So with Strachan there also , I can’t see us picking another ruck who they will want to develop in our sanfl side

Good point - the only other consideration though is EH leaving next year so perhaps get one in this year while there seems to be lots of options available

I don’t think we will go a ruck though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wonder who we select with our first rookie pick - Hamill or Borlase?

Still think there is a chance Borlase is picked up before our selection - I don’t think the club will be overly disappointed.
If it were me having the final say, I would say goodbye to both now, thanks for your service boys. I would then rookie a couple of emerging SA boys, maybe McCauliffe or Patton gets through.
But my guess is one of Hammil or Borlase is picked up by someone else. Fingers crossed 🤞

If we believe we are getting Petty within the next 2 trade periods then I don't see us taking a key back unless it were a Slider like Curtin. We are probably knowing our first next year will once again be on the table for Petty
Signs are good, but it’s still a big ‘if’

O’Sullivan if he gets to our pick, and ZZ would be the two I’d be pining for

Otherwise I’m happy to just focus on inside/outside speed, and possibly a ruck

Last edited:
Remember when people were losing their s**t because they thought we were going to have to pass on pick 20?
Remember when all those posters were slinging crap about "what's the club doing, they're incompetent, we don't have enough list spots!"

Well, we do, and we always did. People around here need to chill.
We’ve had to delist a player to use 3 picks in the draft. If Hamill actually has a good year he can leave as unrestricted free agent. If there was a delisted player we liked the look of we couldn’t take him as we have no list spots.

So yeah you might want to applaud this masterstroke of list management, which was unnecessary if we actually did what you wanted and delisted Sloane. Now you’re defending keeping him…. Flip flop

We’ve had to delist a player to use 3 picks in the draft. If Hamill actually has a good year he can leave as unrestricted free agent. If there was a delisted player we liked the look of we couldn’t take him as we have no list spots.

So yeah you might want to applaud this masterstroke of list management, which was unnecessary if we actually did what you wanted and delisted Sloane. Now you’re defending keeping him…. Flip flop
I don’t think it’s worth worrying over too much, as

1) I think it’s highly unlikely Hamill has a good year out of nowhere, in his 6th year on an AFL list
2) if he does, I think we’d offer him more security than any other team would, given his concussions and the fact the form would’ve come out of nowhere

Sloane would’ve been a better option, but I don’t think it’s really anything to complain about

I don’t think it’s worth worrying over too much, as

1) I think it’s highly unlikely Hamill has a good year out of nowhere, in his 6th year on an AFL list
2) if he does, I think we’d offer him more security than any other team would, given his concussions and the fact the form would’ve come out of nowhere

Sloane would’ve been a better option, but I don’t think it’s really anything to complain about
It’s not just Hamill, it’s not being able to pick up a delisted player, using a rookie pick. It all adds up to a complete lack of list flexibility because we kept a senior player we should have delisted.

Pointing all that out is just obvious, really shouldn’t even be a debate but it is because you get poxy posts from apologists.

It’s not just Hamill, it’s not being able to pick up a delisted player, using a rookie pick. It all adds up to a complete lack of list flexibility because we kept a senior player we should have delisted.

Pointing all that out is just obvious, really shouldn’t even be a debate but it is because you get poxy posts from apologists.
Main reason that Sloane shouldn’t be on the list isn’t because we’d get to pick up a rookie instead (doubt the rookie success rate is too high in recent years), it’s because the coaches would be very much tempted to play him in the AFL more than necessary based on ‘credits in the bank’. Sloane getting any AFL games (a pretty big possibility based off recent form) is worst case scenario

And I know a 10% chance of getting an impactful player on the list is better than having a 0% chance with Sloane, but given your criticism of Ogilvie, you shouldn’t be too mad ;)

Main reason that Sloane shouldn’t be on the list isn’t because we’d get to pick up a rookie instead (doubt the rookie success rate is too high in recent years), it’s because the coaches would be very much tempted to play him in the AFL more than necessary based on ‘credits in the bank’

And I know a 10% chance of getting an impactful player on the list is better than having a 0% chance with Sloane, but given your criticism of Ogilvie, you shouldn’t be too mad ;)
It’s a sum of all the options we miss out on keeping Sloane.

As for my criticism of Ogilvie, it’s because he’s blown first round picks, not because of missing with latter picks. There have been quality rookie and late picks that we don’t have a chance to get even if one slips through we like.

It’s a sum of all the options we miss out on keeping Sloane.

As for my criticism of Ogilvie, it’s because he’s blown first round picks, not because of missing with latter picks. There have been quality rookie and late picks that we don’t have a chance to get even if one slips through we like.
I guess I’m not too fussed about the 0% to 10% difference on getting a quality player out of a DFA or rookie pick. I get we might like someone that slips through, but what’s the chance they actually succeed? Not getting a best 22 player (or potential one) in the trade period, and (possibly) going internal to replace the Assistant COY are much bigger concerns, for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back