Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Brahahaha I’m indifferent on Nicks , don’t think he’s has bad as some on here though

But Seedsman played his best ever footy under Nicks in a poor side on the wing

Like should have made the AA team

I don’t reckon it was due to Nicks being an elite wing coach or anything but he wasn’t a hinderance either

I have no problem with Wilson under Nicks if we draft him

And yet you keep ignoring the fact our list is full with a complete lack of flexibility. No chance to take a rookie. No chance of picking up a delisted player. No chance to pick up a fourth player who might have slid past our pick 20.

How many games Hamill miss with injury in 2023?

Of course you’re fine with what the club has decided, you have complete faith in their decisions. As for wasted energy, you spent a lot of posts trying to support their judgement….come to think of it, you do that a lot ;)

How do we compare to other clubs in this space?

What are other clubs list numbers looking like heading into this period, who is our benchmark?

Hard to find another club in our phase that has similar list demographic and picks available.

Someone with a better memory than me can probably find an example from the last 5 years of a team that did this well?

Did they nail the draft - kept their picks / moved up or down - great trades in or out - got the lot pretty much spot on?

We do seem to be locked in, I mean the fact that people are saying we did exactly what was expected might be seen as lack of options.

Is being predictable with a restricted path forward in this space a good sign?

As far as list management of club champs … Absolutely would love Sloane to have put his hand up as the SANFL captain-coach type and taken the lowest acceptable pay day and a rookie spot. Maybe he is needed for a single AFL game or so to give someone a rest / injury cover. Talk about club legend status confirmed.

Unfortunately, that is not our club culture yet. That is not entirely Sloane’s fault, we should have told him … Rory would not see the forest for the trees when it comes to his own contract, never has.

I’ll just be glad to see him relegated down the pecking order in 2024, not an automatic selection. Fingers crossed.

Doubt that would be front of mind with recruiters when drafting him with his aerial/intercepting talents. I think he'll definitely start down back personally in a similar role to Tom Doedee but can see his attributes also being used forward.

Looks to be way more advanced skills wise than Doedee at the same point and should likely be the better player. He's the best "utility" in this draft and there looks to be some real handy ones available in this draft.
Would be a decent selection then
We’ve got 3 picks happy with any of below (do feel Goad is a necessity though)

Wilson
De Mattia
Tholstrup
Goad
Leake
O’Sullivan

O'Sullivan I think will be gone almost for certain...Will Dawson we may be able to trade our pick 20 for a bit later 2023 pick and get a 2024 pick in and still get Dawson the youngest player in this draft. Love his aggressive attack on the contest and will be a beast when he puts on the size to go with the aggression.
That’s why I’m keen on Tholstrup a beast who’ll be that enforcer in the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure you could find some great odds for West Coast to not finish bottom 2 if you are so confident they won't.
The point is, it might be very likely, but not guaranteed.

A 90% chance of a fair deal and 10% chance of a disaster, is not a fair deal.

The point is, it might be very likely, but not guaranteed.

A 90% chance of a fair deal and 10% chance of a disaster, is not a fair deal.
I'm not sure I'd call 12 +18 (after academy) + f1(12ish) for a f1(top 2) fair. That's an awesome deal.

North have offered 2 + 19 for pick 1 this year and Melbourne offered 7 + 13 + f1(16ish). Both were knocked back.

And, the worst it would likely get would be our future pick being 10 and theirs 4. 10 + 12 + 18 for 4 isn't that bad. The Bulldogs gave up 13 + 21 + f1(11ish) for pick 4 this year.

So, if there was a 90% chance of an awesome deal and a 10% chance of an ever so slightly overs outcome . . .

I'm not sure I'd call 12 +18 (after academy) + f1(12ish) for a f1(top 2) fair. That's an awesome deal.

North have offered 2 + 19 for pick 1 this year and Melbourne offered 7 + 13 + f1(16ish). Both were knocked back.

And, the worst it would likely get would be our future pick being 10 and theirs 4. 10 + 12 + 18 for 4 isn't that bad. The Bulldogs gave up 13 + 21 + f1(11ish) for pick 4 this year.

So, if there was a 90% chance of an awesome deal and a 10% chance of an ever so slightly overs outcome . . .
Or if we fall in a heap, we could give up 4, 10 and 14 for 10.

Happy to give you 10 to 1 odds that the Weagles won't finish 6 spots above us on the ladder..
10-1 means that we're not getting enough to cover our risk in a trade then

Happy to give you 10 to 1 odds that the Weagles won't finish 6 spots above us on the ladder..
So effectively, there's a 1 in 10 chance that this turns out to be the worst trade ever made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back