Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, it's got nothing to do with Maynard. The whole thing with Maynard was that there is an expectation that any hit that results in a concussion is an automatic suspension, save for the most extreme accidents. Powell-Pepper will get weeks and he will deserve it.

I've watched it from a couple of different angles and it looked to me like he was running in to help Rioli with the tackle against a bigger opponent then suddenly has a player hurtling towards him like Halley's Comet as Willie swung him around, virtually stops then turns his body to avoid copping a head-to-head hit.

Yeah he's going to get games thanks to Maynard's forgiven actions but to see Port supporters hanging him out to dry is a bit rough. He never looks like he went in to bump, only to help a smaller team mate complete a fair tackle.
But he planted his feet. :drunk:

Your last statement is exactly what I have thought as well. Typically if a player is knocked out from the initial hit they go limp. There's none of that there, and you can see a clear whiplash type effect when he hits the ground. Combine that with the fact that it has been shown through various research that every concussion has to have an element of whiplash involved, and one could suggest it was that and not the hit which caused the concussion.
If he's knocked out by hitting his head on the turf then Rioli is in trouble, not SPP given the AFL's rules. It's a tough one to work out how he got knocked out.

If he's knocked out by hitting his head on the turf then Rioli is in trouble, not SPP given the AFL's rules. It's a tough one to work out how he got knocked out.
The Rioli tackle slung him into SPP not the ground. And it was the high contact with a 'feet planted' SPP that put him to the turf.

The focus of the MRO will be on SPP not Rioli.

I just hope they consider the tackle and its role in the collision and what SPP could and should have done in the second that Keane was propelled into him.

But we all know the emotion of one of Melbourne's favourite sons retiring this week due to the consequences of multiple concussions will loom large in considerations.

Last edited:
Overall it was a good intensity, decent standard trial game. It was about 100 levels above last week's internal trial in terms of speed and intensity.

Sure there were breakdowns in transition and defence coverage but when 4-6 players are getting interchanged every few minutes there will be breakdowns in play. Next week will give a better idea.

Crows scored a few foals from some bizarre play, like Sweet handling the ball on the ground about as well as Cullinan did Warne. some weird soccer goal from a prostrate crowie (not to be confused with prostate) and a couple of times where our defenders feared they would be suspended for tapping the ball through for a point. And Zak getting caught HTB after dropping a mark that the ump paid then running around and around until he was too dizzy to stand up. Flog looked like he was going to give him a sledge then thought Why bother, he knows he stuffed up.

I did like seeing 3 genuinely tall defenders which meant we were not rabbits in the spotlights on contested marks against their tall forwards. Hardly noticed Rat but Aliir was his usual self and BZT impressive in his coverage defence. He does read the ball coming in well.

Butters, Rozee and JHF carried on from last week playing a different game to everyone else.

Mead was impressive as an on-baller, getting in and under and using it well.

Sweet was given more of a crack at it, he was ok and certainly hits the body at bounces, not a heap from him around the ground although at least he gets in good spots. That bouncing ball really messed with his confidence.

They seemed to save Soldo up a bit, he does have a long reach and gets his hand to the ball when he looks out of position.

Enjoyed Burton's long goals and he had a good hit out.

That bump aside, SPP looked good, aggressive, hit the ball hard and was dangerous around goals as well as useful further up the ground.

Watching the younger players in the later stage, Scully wow. He has these patches in games where he looks like he can tear a game apart. He did it in this game, 3 goals, then had a run on the ball and was involved. There's a lot to like there.

Visentini is the goods, liked his game and rate him as our second best ruck right now and closing on first. Taps the ball, follows up like an on-baller and will be a marking threat around the ground. Sign him up long term.

Great to see Georgie get among the goals. That first set shot into the breeze was a ripper.

It was interesting that the team kicking into the breeze did well. It felt like that team lifted their intensity and were rewarded. Really I thought the crows would kick away in the fourth stanza with the breeze and the removal of senior players from the game. But we fought it out well and I think it was even at the fourth break. ABC news just said the game finished in a draw so I guess they were tied up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still feel like you need to give the new guys a few games to gel together.

Especially the defense

And this was my biggest fear bringing in four new players in important positions in 2024 - 2 x ruckman, 2 x KPD.

It gives Kenny the excuse of “it’ll take time for the new guys to gel” or “we’re a work in progress” that we all know he’ll cling to like a parasite given the opportunity.

And watch him roll it out when we’re a middling 3-5 or something similar.

There are no excuses this year.

For all the “reverse coleman medal winner” BZT cops i think hes going to do a 360 and become a fan favourite not only for his defence nous but more throwing his body on the line for a club hes been at for 5 minutes. Got smashed by Soldo and Dixon a couple of times last week and wasnt afraid to put his head in the hole this week. Thats one way to earn respect

I think SPP will get 3 as he elected to bump, rolled that dice and lost BUT:-

if Keane was not being tackled by Rioli and SPP had been going in to lay a fair bump and Keane ducked down at the last moment with the same outcome of this incident how would it be viewed?

And this was my biggest fear bringing in four new players in important positions in 2024 - 2 x ruckman, 2 x KPD.

It gives Kenny the excuse of “it’ll take time for the new guys to gel” or “we’re a work in progress” that we all know he’ll cling to like a parasite given the opportunity.

And watch him roll it out when we’re a middling 3-5 or something similar.

There are no excuses this year.

Mate that's just a fact of football. It's really not about hinkley despite "hInKleY bAd"

Alternative scenario:

We recruit no new players last year

We don't plug any holes in defense / ruck

You still blame hinkley because he knew the team was inadequate and did nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back