Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, MCG, Saturday 16/03/24 @ 1:45 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’re a Jordan Ridley away from unleashing the McKay/Reid/Cox/Ridley impassable limbs everywhere defence.

Kelly it seems will indeed play as the fat side winger covering for Nic Martin, Jones is playing and we’re not bringing anyone like Draper, Shiel or Hobbs that are half baked.

Big ticks all round.

Aussie Rules Sport GIF by Essendon FC

Given the Ridley injury it is no shock Heppell is in the side. Unlike most I am not concerned to see him there now . Different story when Ridley is fit and if Cox is showing something.
Kelly will play wing if the match sim is any indication with Martin playing more half back. It is a good move. He was excellent in the role in the match sim. Used the ball well and was good around the contest.
Hobbs not quite 100% ready.
Caldwell probably picks up most of Parish's midfield minutes .
Reasonable balance with all of Cox / Reid / Perkins / Jones in the side. All these 4 need to do something this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty sure Kelly wont actually play defence, and will do what he did in the majority of our match sim.

Basically play as a defensive winger that pushes back to cover Martin's man as he gallops forward to create.

The Heppell selection for me is strange, but Hawthorne are not at all tall forward. So Reid, McKay, Cox and Laverde was probably overkill. I am also assuming that Hobbs didnt quite get up in time.

Great backline users heppell and Kelly. We would have the worst kicking backline in the league really.
Kelly may surprise you on the wing. There where plenty of training watchers who where not fans and did not have him in the side who made comment on how good he was on the wing and how well he hit targets. Bit less pressure to stay in the easy option lane when you are going inside 50.

Horrible team selection..

Genuinely not sure what the goal of our season is?

Getting really sick of this kind of stuff.

Horrible, genuinely think Hawthorn will win, their small forwards will run riot.

Im pretty sure Kelly wont actually play defence, and will do what he did in the majority of our match sim.

Basically play as a defensive winger that pushes back to cover Martin's man as he gallops forward to create.

The Heppell selection for me is strange, but Hawthorne are not at all tall forward. So Reid, McKay, Cox and Laverde was probably overkill. I am also assuming that Hobbs didnt quite get up in time.
Think you will be right with Kelly.

Just on Heppell , going on match sim I watched through Jan he jumped into the black team back six when Ridley (calf) and Cox (concussion) did not train.

Hobbs just missed but the midfield depth was there with Durham and Perkins doing a lot of midfield minutes in match sim.

Horrible team selection..

Genuinely not sure what the goal of our season is?

Getting really sick of this kind of stuff.

Horrible, genuinely think Hawthorn will win, their small forwards will run riot.
Who do you pick to play on their small forwards ?
I doubt it is Heppell anyway and the knock on Kelly back (if he plays there) is not his defense . He has beaten most small forwards . It is the fact he just picks safe options by foot and does not have the ability to slice sides up.
The main thing is the 5 blokes we need big improvement form are in the side. Cox / Reid / Perkins / Jones / Tsatas.
It was pretty much Heppell v Laverde.

My concern is the forwards will need to be switched on to stop the half backs from rebounding which is our biggest team defense issue. Apart from Gresham there are a few of the usual suspects there.

Too bad the whingy poster a few post above can not add anything further other than a laughing emoji :rolleyes:

With the Ridley and Baldwin injuries 2/3 of Heppell Kelly and leverde were always going to play. Im not sure why everyone is so surprised and annoyed. Who did you want to promote? Robert’s?

all aboard a conservative approach with Draper parish and Hobbs. No dramas there.

I personally would have gone with hind over both menzie and guelfi. Think hind gave us much more in both pres season games.

All in all a predictable round 1 side

With the Ridley and Baldwin injuries 2/3 of Heppell Kelly and leverde were always going to play. Im not sure why everyone is so surprised and annoyed. Who did you want to promote? Robert’s?

all aboard a conservative approach with Draper parish and Hobbs. No dramas there.

I personally would have gone with hind over both menzie and guelfi. Think hind gave us much more in both pres season games.

All in all a predictable round 1 side
Have to agree Hind a little unlucky. He has a solid pre season forward.

Kelly may surprise you on the wing. There where plenty of training watchers who where not fans and did not have him in the side who made comment on how good he was on the wing and how well he hit targets. Bit less pressure to stay in the easy option lane when you are going inside 50.
I’m happy for him to defensive wing. I do want him being a backline player where he always ends up as the outlet kick switch and just slows the play up

To quote Chris Lewis (cricketer) after not even making the initial 37 man squad for England CWC in 1999

"The selectors are full of ****!"

Menzie and Guelf did nothing in the practice matches

You need skilled kickers and man markers in the backline this does not mean "Puke it up" Pidge and "Hack and dump kick" Heppell

No Hind for outside run and Hobbs was BOG and played 4Q in the VFL sim so don't give me this "not 100% fit BS" when we have no DP3 - RIDICULOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back