List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The mail that I got, and this was early on in the year, granted, was that Freo were heavily into McDonald and that we had been heavily into Baker. Bought a house over here, has good connections at WC.

This was really even before it was heavily reported he was potentially on the move.

But take it with a pinch of salt I’m just a random internet person.

I honestly think we should look to trade our first for freo’s first rounders. Dare say if they wanted McDonald a top 5 pick probably has more weight to offer to Sydney than 2 mid rounders at this point.

I honestly think we should look to trade our first for freo’s first rounders. Dare say if they wanted McDonald a top 5 pick probably has more weight to offer to Sydney than 2 mid rounders at this point.

but what benefit to us ?

getting baker is not worth moving out of the top tier mids in the draft.

The mail that I got, and this was early on in the year, granted, was that Freo were heavily into McDonald and that we had been heavily into Baker. Bought a house over here, has good connections at WC.

This was really even before it was heavily reported he was potentially on the move.

But take it with a pinch of salt I’m just a random internet person.

It’s funny how things change.

If I’m Freo, I’m having a really good think if upgrading Treacy to McDonald is really worth 2 first round picks.

Assuming freo’s first round picks are somewhere around 8,11,15 surely the first and last are enough for an out of contract Logan McDonald.

It’s funny how things change.

If I’m Freo, I’m having a really good think if upgrading Treacy to McDonald is really worth 2 first round picks.

Assuming freo’s first round picks are somewhere around 8,11,15 surely the first and last are enough for an out of contract Logan McDonald.
It’s what Classic Freo would do. Will they do it again? Maybe they’ve learned off all their past failures trading in KPFs

Ralph on On the Couch tonight saying that Yeo wants to stay at West Coast and had an agreement for 2 years on lower money and then West Coast have dragged their feet (probs with the change over of list manager I'd expect). Now Yeo's manager is testing the market which will drive up Yeo's value.
I'd happily give Yeo a 2 year contract with upside $$ based on (a) staying on the park and (b) playing the bull role with HR9 in hand. Easy to link it to B&F and AA etc. The Yeo we have seen this year is easily worth $800k with only half of it being guaranteed.

Yeo being back in the guts rag dolling the opposition immediately improves out ability to win contested football. What I really want to see is Flynn rucking. Against a 209 cm Witts, Bailey struggled. The new ruck rules means our prime ruck needs to be well over 200 cm and/or very physical.

There is talk of the first sign and trade in the AFL world. Yeo would have to agree and so would the club he is going to.

That would look like, Yeo would sign for us and we would then trade him for a first round pick. (Probably in the teens and we pay a bit of his contract)

GC would be the perfect partner for this or even Freo.

I would still keep but this is if Yeo decides he wants to leave but not screw the Eagles
There is a scenario that we sign and trade Yeo with a decent salary and then we pay his salary with the Suns having a tight cap. If we contract Yeo for say 2 years x $800k and agree to foot a million of it over the 2 years (no need to argue the $$ - it is the mechanism), would we get a top 10 pick for him? It is another form of pick purchasing.

Just more vic media rubbish as they froth over the guy they said we were stupid not to delist

Jon Ralph said last night….

“No (they can’t let him go), so why would they delay?” Ralph asked. “They could’ve signed him up at five years on 550 (thousand dollars).

“All of a sudden, he might have to sacrifice seven or eight hundred thousand dollars to stay. I just reckon they (the Eagles) could’ve done it better.”

On what PLANET are we giving Elliot Yeo, the poster boy for our ‘Soresome Foursome’ along with Shuey, Naitanui and McGovern, a walking 6-8 week injury waiting to happen, a 5 year contract?

These idiots lose their damn minds in a matter of weeks don’t they?
I know they would be getting a kick back from Yeo’s management but give us a spell.

It was only 2 weeks ago that shitbag Sam McLure was saying we should have sold Yeo off to the GC for nothing last year.

It’s Round 7. Yeo has started the season well. He hasn’t got injured….yet.

Come on now.

He could go down at any moment. 1 year would be ideal, 2 years is probably smart given his age and his best form. Anything beyond that is silly. 5 Years, no matter the money, is absolutely bonkers.

If Yeoy gets stars in his eyes and decides to chase the ‘big bucks’ from a club willing to give him 3+ years….then good luck to him, take the compo pick.

but what benefit to us ?

getting baker is not worth moving out of the top tier mids in the draft.
a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I don’t think there is the generational talent worth missing out on two top talents for. 2 more first rounders would be a useful to a rebuild this year if we didn’t trade.

Secondly, if we did enter the race for Baker it would allow us to get him and still keep ourselves in the first round.

Y’all know we aren’t walking him to the PSD, and a second rounder won’t do it with Freo likely to offer one mid range pick which Richmond will find a better offer than our second rounder.

They are definitely underperforming at present, but with such a young list they do have a large scope to challenge in a couple of years.

If freo has mid range first round picks and ours is pick 4-5 I wouldn’t have a problem in the world downgrading this year.

Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you a random person off the internet as well.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Same idiots that would be having a go at us if we gave Yeo a 3 year deal and he breaks down again with an injury.

I'd happily give Yeo a 2 year contract with upside $$ based on (a) staying on the park and (b) playing the bull role with HR9 in hand. Easy to link it to B&F and AA etc. The Yeo we have seen this year is easily worth $800k with only half of it being guaranteed.

Yeo being back in the guts rag dolling the opposition immediately improves out ability to win contested football. What I really want to see is Flynn rucking. Against a 209 cm Witts, Bailey struggled. The new ruck rules means our prime ruck needs to be well over 200 cm and/or very physical.
I thought Jack Williams rucked better against witts when they were around the ground . Bailey is obviously the better centre square ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

194cm vs 198cm is a massive difference at AFL level. Have a look at the KPF sizes, even in our own backyard Archer Reid is 203cm. Going to be pretty hard to defend him if you’re giving up 9cm in height not to mention reach. The way the game is going 194cm is more like the third tall who needs above average/elite intercepting and distribution. Smillie is 194cm as a midfielder.
Yes but I'm not sure this trend will continue in the long term. We are seeing injury patterns and an inability for them to remain on the park at over 200cm. Because the running patterns, speed and athletics demands of key position players just don't suit most of them.

Of the top 30 off in this yrs Coleman only 4 are 200+. Mckay, king, daniher, Dixon.

The king brothers are always injured. Daniher missed 2+ seasons. Mckay had his troubles. The new Darcy is 208 and my bet is he misses half a season of footy for his entire career.

They're unicorns and the risks are huge. The same as the 194cm midfield unicorns. There's only a few of them that make it.

I still believe that the ideal mid is 185-192cm and the ideal key position is 195-198cm

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes but I'm not sure this trend will continue in the long term. We are seeing injury patterns and an inability for them to remain on the park at over 200cm. Because the running patterns, speed and athletics demands of key position players just don't suit most of them.

Of the top 30 off in this yrs Coleman only 4 are 200+. Mckay, king, daniher, Dixon.

The king brothers are always injured. Daniher missed 2+ seasons. Mckay had his troubles. The new Darcy is 208 and my bet is he misses half a season of footy for his entire career.

They're unicorns and the risks are huge. The same as the 194cm midfield unicorns. There's only a few of them that make it.

I still believe that the ideal mid is 185-192cm and the ideal key position is 195-198cm

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
There’s always a trade off isn’t there, I think you just need to pick the players on merit in their ability to play their position. Injury obviously comes into that equation but a team where your tallest back is <195cms is going to struggle when you’re regularly coming up against blokes 200cm+ from a match up perspective.

Sam Darcy does look like he’s going to snap in half every single game.

This was Sam's first game back after injury cost him the start of the season. He spent a lot of time on the bench, possibly on managed minutes, but he was involved enough to show his class and physicality. Lalor will certainly be one to watch as the season progresses.

From the dogs board this arvo from a reputable poster:

“Busslinger has put contract talks on hold until the end of the year with blessings from the club in hopes that he will be able to negotiate a better deal with some decent form under his belt. Eagles have offered him 5 years on 500k plus large incentives for games played and B&F finishes.”

5 years is a long time if this is accurate, can’t see that being turned down or matched. Also means it would likely be our 2R and not our F2 with the justification being the contract length and cash.

From the dogs board this arvo from a reputable poster:

“Busslinger has put contract talks on hold until the end of the year with blessings from the club in hopes that he will be able to negotiate a better deal with some decent form under his belt. Eagles have offered him 5 years on 500k plus large incentives for games played and B&F finishes.”

5 years is a long time if this is accurate, can’t see that being turned down or matched. Also means it would likely be our 2R and not our F2 with the justification being the contract length and cash.
Is it the same poster you were talking about last week?
You know, the one that said Barrass had signed with Sydney.

what would we get for Yeo?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Comparing player to player, Yeo is a far better player (though older) than McKay who was 'worth' pick 3, then it should be at least a couple of picks higher than North got for that spud.

I know it doesn't work that way, but it should.

Apparently we’re keen on Jack Graham

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apparently we’re keen on Jack Graham

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ah yes, we are in dire need of more slow low production midfielders. Fills a real need.

Back