List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
From the dogs board this arvo from a reputable poster:

“Busslinger has put contract talks on hold until the end of the year with blessings from the club in hopes that he will be able to negotiate a better deal with some decent form under his belt. Eagles have offered him 5 years on 500k plus large incentives for games played and B&F finishes.”

5 years is a long time if this is accurate, can’t see that being turned down or matched. Also means it would likely be our 2R and not our F2 with the justification being the contract length and cash.
How long did big Fraser last on our list?

We could give Jack Graham a contract that triggers a higher pick as part of our package for Liam Baker. Bit of a nudge nudge wink wink agreement.

Jon Ralph reckons Freo have already tabled a deal to Baker, but Baker's preference would be to join us despite us yet to table an offer. Suggests we split our first to get him.

Value being floated as late first to late second
Where was this?

Edit- just came across it. Mid week tackle. Eagles apparently no offer but mentioned they also suggested PSD…. Doesn’t add up?

Ralphy would have contacts at Richmond.

Do have a gut feeling it will be the Eagles if he leaves.

Where was this?

Edit- just came across it. Mid week tackle. Eagles apparently no offer but mentioned they also suggested PSD…. Doesn’t add up?

Ralphy throwing a dart I think but I think it’s common knowledge Baker would probably prefer WCE but makes it harder for him to get there.

I hope he chooses us

Ralphy throwing a dart I think but I think it’s common knowledge Baker would probably prefer WCE but makes it harder for him to get there.

I hope he chooses us
Players nearly always get to the club they nominate. If he picked the Eagles, they will find a way of getting it done.

Baker's preference would be to join us despite us yet to table an offer
Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

Jon Ralph reckons

Awkward Episode 1 GIF by The Office

Where was this?

I highly doubt we have publicly expressed any intention to encourage Baker to walk to the PSD. We might want that to happen now that we've set fire to any PP desires, but we wouldn't let it get out.

Feels like a lot of s**t slinging and that is most commonly what it is this time of year. Just filler. Most of our targets do not become public until it's basically a done deal.

Yes but I'm not sure this trend will continue in the long term. We are seeing injury patterns and an inability for them to remain on the park at over 200cm. Because the running patterns, speed and athletics demands of key position players just don't suit most of them.

Of the top 30 off in this yrs Coleman only 4 are 200+. Mckay, king, daniher, Dixon.

The king brothers are always injured. Daniher missed 2+ seasons. Mckay had his troubles. The new Darcy is 208 and my bet is he misses half a season of footy for his entire career.

They're unicorns and the risks are huge. The same as the 194cm midfield unicorns. There's only a few of them that make it.

I still believe that the ideal mid is 185-192cm and the ideal key position is 195-198cm

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Funny...I was just thinking about this exact thing last weekend....Well put mate.

I highly doubt we have publicly expressed any intention to encourage Baker to walk to the PSD. We might want that to happen now that we've set fire to any PP desires, but we wouldn't let it get out.

Feels like a lot of s**t slinging and that is most commonly what it is this time of year. Just filler. Most of our targets do not become public until it's basically a done deal.
Flynn and Brockman were known during the year last year

From the dogs board this arvo from a reputable poster:

“Busslinger has put contract talks on hold until the end of the year with blessings from the club in hopes that he will be able to negotiate a better deal with some decent form under his belt. Eagles have offered him 5 years on 500k plus large incentives for games played and B&F finishes.”

5 years is a long time if this is accurate, can’t see that being turned down or matched. Also means it would likely be our 2R and not our F2 with the justification being the contract length and cash.
Don't think the contract will have a bearing on if its R2 or F2, if we want to play hard ball he's out of contract and isn't a position of need for freo so no reason we can't get it done with a F2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to hear that some clubs are against the midseason trade period on the midweek tackle.
It’s going to advantage the Melbourne clubs a lot more. It’s much easier to trade within Melbourne then move families/lives etc to Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc
End of the day there is 10 vic teams and 8 non vic so it'll happen eventually because it benefits them and having the majority of the clubs just makes it even likelier, as much as it will be a farce

Don't think the contract will have a bearing on if its R2 or F2, if we want to play hard ball he's out of contract and isn't a position of need for freo so no reason we can't get it done with a F2
Hope you’re right but if dogs call our bluff of a F2 norf will take him in psd without a second thought.

Mraz has fractured his navicular. I don’t know the exact severity but if anything significant this is likely season over. If so he’s likely to slip to late 20s/early 30s and provided our medical diligence is done he’d be an absolute steal in that range if we’re confident his foot has healed.

I'd happily give Yeo a 2 year contract with upside $$ based on (a) staying on the park and (b) playing the bull role with HR9 in hand. Easy to link it to B&F and AA etc. The Yeo we have seen this year is easily worth $800k with only half of it being guaranteed.

Yeo being back in the guts rag dolling the opposition immediately improves out ability to win contested football. What I really want to see is Flynn rucking. Against a 209 cm Witts, Bailey struggled. The new ruck rules means our prime ruck needs to be well over 200 cm and/or very physical.
This is why I'm still very keen on Crossley.. I think the rule change would help him a lot and he's a great balance to Williams.
I know we have Flynn but he's injury prone. I think he'd come over for another shot at the show.

Hope you’re right but if dogs call our bluff of a F2 norf will take him in psd without a second thought.
Not so sure about that, can't think of any instances where a team from a different state than the one the player is trying to get to has taken them. North have got enough problems brewing atm without recruiting guys who wouldn't want to be in Victoria, let alone north melbourne

Not so sure about that, can't think of any instances where a team from a different state than the one the player is trying to get to has taken them. North have got enough problems brewing atm without recruiting guys who wouldn't want to be in Victoria, let alone north melbourne
Norf want him already, will be a 3rd year KPD in a listless, sh*thouse defence that no player in their right mind would willingly go to. Clarkson will order it in a heartbeat. Hopefully dogs see F2 better than nothing if that’s what we offer.

If west coast can't free up a spot before the MSD, assuming it's pic3 or 4 are they able to trade that off for a pic in the national draft or do you just miss out? ie west coast trade there pic 4 MSD pic for say Melbourne's Round 3 national draft pic

Flynn wasn't getting a game and Brockman to a lesser extent.
They don't have profile of Baker.

I'd like him but don't want us to split pick 1 just to get him.

Kelly was the worst kept secret in the whole AFL industry.

SPS was known well before trade period.

Everyone knew we were in to Dev.

The only surprises really were Witherden who didn’t become available until his exit meeting.

Player movement is so fluid now that everyone knows who is into who.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back