Streaming [HBO] True Detective

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I would rather keep the mystery than have it ruined on a second viewing.

FWIW, nice avatar.
I don't think it really ruined the mystery per se. Well for me anyway. More that you see how it fits together better.

Thanks! We all love a cheeky TGO wink, it's from the ep when he ate the cheeseburger on air.

Finally got around to watching this, didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Had some really strong moments (episodes 4 and 5 were great) and the intrigue in the first few episodes kept me interested. Honestly felt a little bit flat towards the end. Nowhere near the likes of Band of Brothers or Deadwood for other shortish series IMO.

Did you guys watch it all the way through in one sitting? I ask only because I thought it was ******* fantastic and I watched it in two sittings
first I watched it until they met in the bar - then gave it a break for a few weeks then started watching all the s**t that happened in present day. Wondering if that impacts on the experience.

I think a misconception about this show is that binge watching it would enhance the experience, when I think it was made to be ingested an episode at a time, on a weekly basis, because it is such a slow yet impacting burn you need a week for it to settle so you can comprehend everything.

Did you guys watch it all the way through in one sitting? I ask only because I thought it was ******* fantastic and I watched it in two sittings
first I watched it until they met in the bar - then gave it a break for a few weeks then started watching all the s**t that happened in present day. Wondering if that impacts on the experience.

I watched it spread out over a couple of weeks. I'm not trying to be too negative, it was still a relatively good series, just not what I would consider in the upper echelon of short dramas

I think a misconception about this show is that binge watching it would enhance the experience, when I think it was made to be ingested an episode at a time, on a weekly basis, because it is such a slow yet impacting burn you need a week for it to settle so you can comprehend everything.

^^This. I rewatched it over the past two weeks, at no more than an episode a day, still has the same impact in that respect, I imagine binge watching wouldn't work though.

I don't think it really ruined the mystery per se. Well for me anyway. More that you see how it fits together better.

Thanks! We all love a cheeky TGO wink, it's from the ep when he ate the cheeseburger on air.

Yeah I agree, I went back and watched it all again recently with my housemate who was watching it for the first time and whilst it did lose a bit of that edge of your seat intrigue it was still worth doing to watch everything fall into place, also just worth the watch just to appreciate how bloody good MM is too.

Not at all I liked the riffing it did on the metaphysical. I think people tended to forget it's a very dark fantasy not a drama.

Read somewhere it's going to be based in California but not in the California that we all know (L.A, San Francisco etc).
“…It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.”-Nic Pizzolatto
Charming? ;) :(

Lol, they will be the ones to take down Jax.

Not at all I liked the riffing it did on the metaphysical. I think people tended to forget it's a very dark fantasy not a drama.
I loved that part too. Cole said earlier how he sometimes channels/ sees strange things (like that time he had that psychadelic drive down the freeway). So that scene with the galaxy swirling was another "trip" of his...or was it?

That's how I took it anyway.

The way the bad dude rushed them at the end was pretty lame though after such a tense buildup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing I noticed on re-watch was in I think the second episode. When being interviewed, Cohle asks the two cops if they've had a look at that school on Pelican Island and they say no.

Just funny how that kind of leads into the bit about him getting a read on them, as opposed to them getting a read on him.

I loved that part too. Cole said earlier how he sometimes channels/ sees strange things (like that time he had that psychadelic drive down the freeway). So that scene with the galaxy swirling was another "trip" of his...or was it?

That's how I took it anyway.

The way the bad dude rushed them at the end was pretty lame though after such a tense buildup.

Thought that was kind of the point, despite all his beliefs that he was special, he was nothing but a crazy man who liked killing people in crude ways.

Thought that was kind of the point, despite all his beliefs that he was special, he was nothing but a crazy man who liked killing people in crude ways.
Just about to post the same thing. He's just a guy.

I ******* love his "just ledoux it" tattoo. :D

The problem I had with the ending was Billy Lee Tuttle felt like the real evil character who was one of the key drivers behind the whole conspiracy they'd been hinting at, but then he unceremoniously died off camera in a most anti-climactic way.

So then by the time they went after the scarred man it just felt like tying off a loose end by killing a relatively inconsequential henchman. He may have been the one doing the dirty work but his character lacked the foreboding gravitas of the higher ups who were organising the whole thing.

Just felt a bit backwards to me. Like a Bond movie where the main bad guy dies three quarters of the way through leaving the fight with his bodyguard as the climax.

I think the whole points of the man with the green ears is that he is whole thing writ small. He's so ordinary and average and there are probably hundreds like him. Much scarier than one "boogie man".

The problem I had with the ending was Billy Lee Tuttle felt like the real evil character who was one of the key drivers behind the whole conspiracy they'd been hinting at, but then he unceremoniously died off camera in a most anti-climactic way.

So then by the time they went after the scarred man it just felt like tying off a loose end by killing a relatively inconsequential henchman. He may have been the one doing the dirty work but his character lacked the foreboding gravitas of the higher ups who were organising the whole thing.

Just felt a bit backwards to me. Like a Bond movie where the main bad guy dies three quarters of the way through leaving the fight with his bodyguard as the climax.
I know what you mean, but life is messy sometimes. I kind of like the fact they eschewed the cliched narrative (ie The Smoking Man)

Yeah I get that, you're right, but I was referring to how the specific scene was so tense watching them creep further into the spider's lair as he coaxed them closer, thought he'd at least have a decent trap set for them, but the best he could do was rush Cole crazily with his hatchet, was just a let down.

I still loved the show btw, the best this year for mine.

I don't think he's a trap kinda guy. Where's the fun in that. He likes the hunt. Hence the labyrinth.

Rumours of Colin Farrell in season 2 sound good to me.
Yep. Taylor Kitch as well apparently.
Might need Billy Bob Thornton and Adam Goldberg so True Detective can move ahead of Fargo. ;)

Was Fargo's tracking scene better than True Detective's?

Genius to have an exterier shot following Malvo as he shot up a building whilst Key and Peele sat helpless in their car.

He walked past them again in a later episode.

LOL.

TD's is better IMO. Still both amazing though. Best ever is from Soy Cuba.

It was made in 1964 remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back