List Mgmt. Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish he'd come back, but he's a Swan for life now (I think I'm going to be physically ill after writing that).

Ahh the memories!!

Unfortunately goading to the 3-0 reigning premiers doesn't work very well. Enjoy the 2012 flag but you'll notice that a. you haven't come close to beating us in the 3 games since and b. we are the current (2013) AFL premiers. If you can spin that into something to feel superior about then be my guest.

Last edited:
I wish he'd come back, but he's a Swan for life now (I think I'm going to be physically ill after writing that).
Fills me with joy

As much as I would love a player with his hardness at the ball (due to the likes of Mitchell on retirements door), Kennedy is extremely selfish, and does not embody the same traits that his father and grandfather did (or his brother, who didn't nominate, as he couldn't commit to being professional)
He does not fit in with our culture of professionalism

The Kennedy name has ensured that this is overlooked

Fills me with joy

As much as I would love a player with his hardness at the ball (due to the likes of Mitchell on retirements door), Kennedy is extremely selfish, and does not embody the same traits that his father and grandfather did (or his brother, who didn't nominate, as he couldn't commit to being professional)
He does not fit in with our culture of professionalism

The Kennedy name has ensured that this is overlooked

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself he is not right for the Hawks simply because you know he will never come back. On what basis do you brand him more selfish than any other top player? And what traits did JK and JK2 have that JK3 does not?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

John Kennedy Jr disappointed son Josh’s career didn’t continue at Hawthorn, pleaded case to Alastair Clarkson in final season

THE father of Brownlow Medal favourite Josh Kennedy met Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson to plead his son’s case in the months before the midfielder was traded controversially to the Sydney Swans. Josh Kennedy, now 26, is the youngest of a Hawk dynasty — his grandfather, John Kennedy Sr, coached Hawthorn to three premierships and his father, John Jr, played 241 games, including four flags.

I understand this quote:

Kennedy Jr said he remained “disappointed” that Josh was not given a chance to blossom at Hawthorn, particularly because he believed his son had been about to take the next step in his development.

But I think it's a little unfair when it followed this one:

“In his discussions with Alastair, Alastair was pretty blunt and he was honest and he said, ‘I think you’re in the mix, but you are probably the 25th or 26th player at this stage. It’s your call, but that’s where you sit with us at the moment’,” Kennedy Jr said.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'd have all been rapt to see Josh stay with us for his whole career, but I think his statement about not being given a chance is a little off.

Clarko was honest with him, and laid out that he was behind a very talented midfield, and - club legend stock or not - he'd have to fight for his position.

The only other option we had was to trade out another midfield player, and throw Josh in, hoping he came good. Seeing how he's done at Sydney, it seems we could've done that, but hindsight is a marvellous thing. And how does it look to the other players if we'd traded out Sewell or Lewis or Mitchell, when based on form they were ahead of him?

I am still a bit sad that Josh plays for Sydney, but at the end of the day, he made the decision to go for the security at Sydney. I do not blame him in the slightest; he did what was best for his career. But by the same token, Hawthorn did what was best for their immediate flag prospects. We had a strong midfield, and we couldn't afford to disrupt it just to improve Josh's development. He was unfortunate - a few years earlier, or a few years later, and he'd have been a lock - but his role in the midfield was already held by strong, talented, experienced players.

How would free agency apply to Josh Kennedy at Sydney? Would he need to have played 9 full seasons in order to be eligible to make a switch back to Hawthorn without us having to trade for him? He has played 5 full seasons at Sydney to date (2010-2014 inclusive). The fact that 3 generations of Kennedys have played for this club indicates that there is some serious talent in this bloodline. Given that to date Josh has played 13 games for Hawthorn and 111 for Sydney it looks very likely that the Kennedy gene pool will be transferred to Sydney which is pretty sad from a Hawthorn perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson has been fantastic for Hawthorn football club, but this decision was a horrible one which i was disgusted in, in 2009….do not sugar coat a terrible decision…he showed huge signs in 2009 he was going to be very good….we offered him 1 year contract and told him his #26 player on the list, our club got it wrong and did not recognise what was about to come…the article even reveals Sydney thought our club would pick up on what he showed in 2009 when it states they thought they lost their chance to recruit him given his blossoming in 2nd half of 2009….the game v Geelong at the MCG where Kennedy cost us the game hand balling to Bud was Kennedy's break out game where i new he was going to be a very very good player

Clarkson has been fantastic for Hawthorn football club, but this decision was a horrible one which i was disgusted in, in 2009….do not sugar coat a terrible decision…he showed huge signs in 2009 he was going to be very good….we offered him 1 year contract and told him his #26 player on the list, our club got it wrong and did not recognise what was about to come…the article even reveals Sydney thought our club would pick up on what he showed in 2009 when it states they thought they lost their chance to recruit him given his blossoming in 2nd half of 2009….the game v Geelong at the MCG where Kennedy cost us the game hand balling to Bud was Kennedy's break out game where i new he was going to be a very very good player
At the time he was he 26th player

John jr would be bias about his son

John senior was more candid in open mike, in which he said josh didn't want to be potentially playing in the 2nds as the club was recruiting new players

Josh took the easy option
Even Paul roos said when josh got to sydney he was lazy and overweight
Talent alone doesn't make a player
Josh got the wake up call he needed when we traded him
He would not be the player he is if he remained with us

At the time he was he 26th player

John jr would be bias about his son

John senior was more candid in open mike, in which he said josh didn't want to be potentially playing in the 2nds as the club was recruiting new players

Josh took the easy option
Even Paul roos said when josh got to sydney he was lazy and overweight
Talent alone doesn't make a player

All good until the last line. That is purely an assumption.

Not this again.

Firstly - apparently he'll never come back so long as Clarko is coach - and Kennedy is not even remotely worth punting Clarko for.

Secondly - no matter what hell I cop for my opinion - I think Kennedy is a selfish player who wouldn't adopt our team first mentality. He was told to improve and earn his spot in the past - he chose to run off to Sydney. He's a Kennedy in name only and isn't deserving to wear the brown and gold again. Would much rather someone like Hallahan who stays loyal to us knowing full well he could play regular AFL footy at a crap club.
And you can add Luke Lowdan who chose to stay and we all know his story!!

exactly, i thought he was a shining beacon for a crap year and was excited by his prospects, i had him way ahead of Shiels at that stage, worst decision by Clarko but these things happen, i'm still dirty at Clarko for this, but another premiership has lessened the pain a little.......

That whole 'not being a mercenary' thing.
I actually dont think he was a mercenary at all. There comes a point where from his point of view he was going to get more oppurtunties earlier at the Swans than the Hawks. They made him feel more wanted. I think they saw more potential with him than we did. Over the last few years we have chosen correctly more times than not - and in this case we didnt see the same value as the Swans.

Spot on. The history of the game is littered by players who didn't apply themselves at their first club (or even second club), and then woke up when given another chance. Gary Ablett Sr is a classic example. Had Kennedy not gone, he would have been one of the many who tried. I wish people would get over him on this forum. He's a Sydney player, not a Hawk.

Wish we'd offered to match the length of the Swans contract offer (3 years) or at least 2 years instead of only the single. We might not have been able to offer the same money but I don't think he'd have left if he knew he had 3 years with us.

But If he'd gone to Sydney and sucked for them and was de-listed from there then we'd be talking about him as much as we do Travis Tuck. Like others have said: hindsight. He showed a few signs in his last season but nothing to suggest he'd be as good as he is now. Plenty of players are in career best form in the last season of their contract.

Langford seems to be having a similar season to Kennedy's 2009. Got a taste the season before, play about half of this season. Next season best 22 and hopefully following that he's right up there as one of the best in the comp. Luckily he's already signed the extension!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back