Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does Swanny have to start work on?

Training and Admin facilities

Coaching and recruiting setup

Sponsorships

Protecting the academies

What else is there?
Bolded will be an interesting one for him, and us for his reaction to it. Will have to remove his Vic hat and really gain a good perspective on the issue we face and the severity of the attack on our academies.

As somebody else on this board has already mentioned, it will be interesting to see the effect that his very likely shift in attitude towards the Northern academies has on his Victorian peers.

So what does Swanny have to start work on?

Training and Admin facilities

Coaching and recruiting setup

Sponsorships

Protecting the academies

What else is there?

Whole organisation needs a serious shake up.

My mate is a 10 year premium member and had a disasterous encounter with a membership staff member this week who basically responded to his complaints/frustration about seating arrangements with "we have more members this year than last year so we must be doing something right".

The joint is the legacy of several tenures of terrible leaders at the top. Needs a broom through it and a rebuild.

^
Lease arrangements with the Gabba;
Re-engaging Vic members/supporters - proactive steps to secure 6 games in Melbourne;
The jumper... err, actually scratch that one off the list. :)

I was almost totally convinced that Swann was our next CEO. Then I got an email from Bob Sharpless confirming it, now I don't know what to believe.

Will wait for a more credible source.
As stated on another thread, I have been as disgusted with the off field crap with our Lions as anyone else. Angus was a disgrace how long he held on with his own self interest over riding the good of the club. The Springfield deal has also been smelly.

I know Sharpless is the head of the Springfield corporation but he has been much better than Angus already. We recieve more communication, have signed signed aome great youngsters, and secured Greg Swann as CEO.

Sharpless may turn out to be a tosser like some before him but as long as he puts the Lions interests first (before Springfield Land Corp) as he is saying he will do then I'm behind him.

As stated on another thread, I have been as disgusted with the off field crap with our Lions as anyone else. Angus was a disgrace how long he held on with his own self interest over riding the good of the club. The Springfield deal has also been smelly.

I know Sharpless is the head of the Springfield corporation but he has been much better than Angus already. We recieve more communication, have signed signed aome great youngsters, and secured Greg Swann as CEO.

Sharpless may turn out to be a tosser like some before him but as long as he puts the Lions interests first (before Springfield Land Corp) as he is saying he will do then I'm behind him.

To be perfectly honest I would struggle to attribute any of the above to Sharpless. Doubt he would have much involvement at all in our player retention and its pretty clear that Swann as CEO was very strongly driven by the AFL.

As for the communication part I'd be putting that largely down to the good work by Steele Tallon since he came on board, unless you think bob actually writes his own emails....

Serious response to a very light hearted post.

But yeah, like Fatcat said, it's hard to directly attribute most of that stuff to Sharpless. In terms of his increased communication, that seemed to come on the back of some serious pressure from members and the Lion's Roar to do so. His early tenure was absolutely shocking in regards to engagement. Steele Tallon is driving the improvements in that area - make no mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be perfectly honest I would struggle to attribute any of the above to Sharpless. Doubt he would have much involvement at all in our player retention and its pretty clear that Swann as CEO was very strongly driven by the AFL.

As for the communication part I'd be putting that largely down to the good work by Steele Tallon since he came on board, unless you think bob actually writes his own emails....
I agree with you totally. But if any of those areas stuff up it's the president that takes the fall. Imagine if comms were crap and we didnt land Swann. It would be Sharpless head on the block. I just think when things go right the same bloke deserves credit

Welcome to Brissy Greg, where the press-conference for a CEO appointment runs shorter than post-match pressers. ;)
We're the mullet of the footy business world. It's all business at the start but before too long there will be a hell of a party.

Welcome to Brissy Greg, where the press-conference for a CEO appointment runs shorter than post-match pressers. ;)

Did they at least have it at Wet and Wild?

Some promising quotes from Swann here:

“It’s a large debt. I had a conversation with the AFL about that before I came to the decision. “They are aware of it and they’ve got some steps in place to assist there and the club has put some applications in."

“Back when I was at Collingwood they (Brisbane) had waiting lists on boxes … the people are there. They’ve cut costs and are as lean as they can be but we need to fix it. It is important we engage with our members and supporters. We’ve got to be accessible and give the supporters what they want.’’

Swann and board members Leigh Matthews, Sarah Kelly and Andrew Wellington will assess the viability of the proposed training and administration base at Springfield.

“We made it really clear that there is a blank canvas with the facility. We are effectively going to go back to the start and look at everything. That’s the undertaking I’ve been given. We’ll obviously look at Springfield but at other venues and other facilities that might be options. I know it’s been an issue for the club, in the marketplace and for the members.’’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back